Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2022

George BM

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Preceded by his acquisition of Austria with claims of German heritage and language, which he later used again with the Sudetenland.

God help us if Russia were to ever target Hungary or Poland. That would be WW3 without question.

It would be WW3, but it won't happen.

I actually got my Master's in History by studying Eastern and Central European history of the interwar period, so I'm both fascinated and troubled by what's going on. It's way too much to go into in a post on a weather board (;)), but I'll just say that it's all intertwined, though it may not necessarily all be parallels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

Android? :yikes:  I used to like you until I found out you'd have the dreaded green text bubbles :lol:

LOL. I should've added in my previous post that I've gone back and forth between iOS and Android for the past decade, had several iPhones in that time, and while I certainly don't hate iOS...I do prefer Android for a variety of reasons.

I'll grant that Apple makes good, solid hardware and does a great job supporting that hardware via iOS for 1-3 years longer than Google/Samsung does on comparable Android hardware (Samsung's getting better). However, iOS can't touch Android when it comes to notifications, customization and being able to choose from a variety of default apps. I'm also deep in the Google application stack, and there's no way Apple can beat the integration between Google apps, Android and even Google Assistant (which makes Siri look like a rube).  :) 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I would appreciate a post that goes into the subject in depth. I like history and current events I find it interesting and would like to hear from the perspective of someone who has professionally studied it.  

It would probably be easier to answer questions, if I'm honest. There's a ton to unpack and it's really tough to get my head around it all*. Feel free to throw them my way and I'll do my best. I'll also be honest and will tell you if I don't have the expertise / knowledge to weigh in.

I'm not actively involved in foreign or security policy or anything like that now, but I do think my experiences give me a decent perspective on what's going on and some of the language being used by Putin to justify the invasion.

* It's INSANE that we're even talking about a Russian invasion of Ukraine right now. Not that an invasion of a smaller country should be any different, but the unfortunately political reality is that it is. I recently saw some short clips of some of what's happening (nothing graphic), and it got me really unnerved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ah ha! I knew a music-lover would get my pun :lol:. Found another recording with the original solo piano version...along with the original painting that inspired it!

Quite the piano banger...lol 

Yep, pictures is difficult to play (properly) on Piano.  I remember back in 1994 playing Bydlo on a friend's restored Steinway Parlor Grand (circa 1918) and it was challenging and fascinating at the same time!

Now Beethoven's Rondo e capriccio op.129 more commonly called Rage Over A Lost Penny played like this is difficult! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk9ASyG6jag

I did it but cheated.  It was sequenced on a disklavier and then played back at proper tempo.  ;)

7 hours ago, Stormfly said:

Love Mussorgsky!

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ah ha! I knew a music-lover would get my pun :lol:. Found another recording with the original solo piano version...along with the original painting that inspired it!

Quite the piano banger...lol 

My appreciation for Russian composers -- particularly Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky and especially Rimsky-Korsakov -- grew exponentially when I played French horn in MS and HS concert band (and even when I got sucked into the wind section in HS orchestra!) and our directors back in the day most often chose from the catalogs of those three composers. Mussorgsky's Pictures still moves me. One of the most challenging, but my all-time favorite, pieces I remember playing was Rimsky-Korsakov's Russian Easter Overture in HS orchestra -- to this day, I liken it to a classical "Stairway to Heaven." Our HS orchestra back then was about the size of the CMU orchestra playing the piece below, and like them, we blew the roof off of the auditorium.  :) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I am currently in coxsackie New York just south of Albany.

Under a winter storm warning and snow emergency. Goal is a foot and no pingers. Perhaps slightly aspirational but doable. 

excited! After all the mid Atlantic blahs; I deserve this. 

CEC281CA-3D71-48B6-A4EE-96B88CC43E0D.jpeg

Have fun, and get some good pix!!!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

LOL. I should've added in my previous post that I've gone back and forth between iOS and Android for the past decade, had several iPhones in that time, and while I certainly don't hate iOS...I do prefer Android for a variety of reasons.

I'll grant that Apple makes good, solid hardware and does a great job supporting that hardware via iOS for 1-3 years longer than Google/Samsung does on comparable Android hardware (Samsung's getting better). However, iOS can't touch Android when it comes to notifications, customization and being able to choose from a variety of default apps. I'm also deep in the Google application stack, and there's no way Apple can beat the integration between Google apps, Android and even Google Assistant (which makes Siri look like a rube).  :) 

All I can see is a giant green text bubble so I couldn't read your response.  :P

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mattie g said:

It would probably be easier to answer questions, if I'm honest. There's a ton to unpack and it's really tough to get my head around it all*. Feel free to throw them my way and I'll do my best. I'll also be honest and will tell you if I don't have the expertise / knowledge to weigh in.

I'm not actively involved in foreign or security policy or anything like that now, but I do think my experiences give me a decent perspective on what's going on and some of the language being used by Putin to justify the invasion.

* It's INSANE that we're even talking about a Russian invasion of Ukraine right now. Not that an invasion of a smaller country should be any different, but the unfortunately political reality is that it is. I recently saw some short clips of some of what's happening (nothing graphic), and it got me really unnerved.

I've seen a ton of different takes on what the true motive behind the invasion of Ukraine is. My current impression is it has mostly to do with distrust and resentment of the West as well as a desire to be taken seriously as a nation (which also looks back at the USSR's former "glory" and even beyond). What's your take on what motivates Putin's actions?

2 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Feels great to experience a real snowstorm for a change and be in an area that actually gets the snow! I’d say maybe 8-9 inches. A few pingers now but it’s mostly over. Now I’m addicted might have to do another one before the winter is over. 

5D65A334-948D-478A-B0AB-4E57C60DCB4D.jpeg

5BDB3039-CA68-43A3-9F2C-FDD0075F08C2.jpeg

3642759F-DECC-4BC7-94F0-9F86F6C8DB77.jpeg

Where are you?

47 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Where are you?

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

i think he went to upstate NY

Yeah; I am in Colonie, just north west of Albany. Very close to Albany airport.

We did sleet for a couple hours this morning but now back to snow. Picked up another 1-2 inches. I was expecting this to be over much earlier. It’s pretty awesome just relaxing in the hotel watching it come down. I’d say we have 10 inches. 

• Like 2

It's like a completely different world in Minnesota and Wisconsin, snow cover that has probably been there all winter, temps in the single digits snow falling with temps near zero....can you say sparkle snow? When i left Minneapolis this morning it was 4 degrees with probably 6" of snow on the ground and now here in Virginia it feels like it's 70 degrees and the grass is getting green. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Feels great to experience a real snowstorm for a change and be in an area that actually gets the snow! I’d say maybe 8-9 inches. A few pingers now but it’s mostly over. Now I’m addicted might have to do another one before the winter is over. 

5D65A334-948D-478A-B0AB-4E57C60DCB4D.jpeg

5BDB3039-CA68-43A3-9F2C-FDD0075F08C2.jpeg

3642759F-DECC-4BC7-94F0-9F86F6C8DB77.jpeg

Great snow pics. And if nothing else, we can actually SEE why you might actually BE a Revolutionary War re-enactor...  :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

It's like a completely different world in Minnesota and Wisconsin, snow cover that has probably been there all winter, temps in the single digits snow falling with temps near zero....can you say sparkle snow? When i left Minneapolis this morning it was 4 degrees with probably 6" of snow on the ground and now here in Virginia it feels like it's 70 degrees and the grass is getting green. 

I’d love to have winter like that. My problem is that I’d want it from Thanksgiving to March 1st. After then, I’m ready for spring.

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic