Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2022

George BM

4 hours ago, Kay said:

Good size flock of mergansers on the river :loon:

eta- may be filling up banter w random nature obs for the foreseeable

4 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Nice! Birded around the neighborhood this morning. Birds are definitely getting more active as spring approaches.

Cool!  Last weekend I came upon a pileated woodpecker.  Didn't have my longer telephoto lens on me, but I was able to get to within several feet of him, standing on a tree stump looking up so it worked out (plus some cropping!).  He paid me no mind and went about his business, I was able to observe him for some time and get a few shots.  Here's one:

Misc2022_33.thumb.jpg.27448dc64e53f152625d1e42e5371ad1.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

3" of sleet, and if you take the GFS verbatim it would turn into a block of ice that night!  I know several in here don't care for sleet or ice, but really that's all we're looking at here for this event in terms of wintry weather.  It doesn't really look like we'll get any snow from this.  Personally, in that case, I'd prefer a more "interesting" ice/sleet event over a dull, cold rain.  But that's just me.

THIS 100%!

I'm an extreme weather weenie, NOT a sane normal human-being. I want the extremes. Give me a nice icing event over 30s and rain any day. We get more than enough of the latter. Five inches of ice accretion like during the Great Ice Storm of 1998 in Ontario would be quite interesting. :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Cool!  Last weekend I came upon a pileated woodpecker.  Didn't have my longer telephoto lens on me, but I was able to get to within several feet of him, standing on a tree stump looking up so it worked out (plus some cropping!).  He paid me no mind and went about his business, I was able to observe him for some time and get a few shots.  Here's one:

Misc2022_33.thumb.jpg.27448dc64e53f152625d1e42e5371ad1.jpg

Wow, great shot. They're usually so shy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Bodhi Cove said:

Oh hell yes!

WTOP: Maryland joins states moving toward ending Daylight Saving Time
WTOP: Maryland joins states moving toward ending Daylight Saving Time.
https://wtop.com/maryland/2022/02/maryland-joins-states-moving-toward-ending-daylight-saving-times/

That headline should read that Maryland may make DST permanent instead of ending it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodhi Cove said:

Oh hell yes!

WTOP: Maryland joins states moving toward ending Daylight Saving Time
WTOP: Maryland joins states moving toward ending Daylight Saving Time.
https://wtop.com/maryland/2022/02/maryland-joins-states-moving-toward-ending-daylight-saving-times/

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That headline should read that Maryland may make DST permanent instead of ending it.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if we now stay on one or the other (EST/DST) permanently.  I suppose in the past it made some sense to "make the most use of" the extended daylight in summer, but that doesn't seem so much of an urgency now.  I particularly dislike jumping ahead an hour, like probably most people.  I remember when DST/EST used to be 6 months each:  you'd set your clock ahead in April, and go back in October.  At this point, EST is barely 4 months long.  I might have a slight preference for standard time, if only because I think it's a bit silly to begin it in early March, plus even on standard time the evenings are still long in mid-summer.  But the main thing is just remaining on one or the other.  Hope they really do tie it to many other states doing the same, at least in the eastern time zone; it would be a nightmare if different places had EST part of the time still while others don't.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I've been busy all day but just saw this.  Yea that ns needs to dig further west for sure but I was comparing Gfs 18z to 0z and it's a significant change for the better overall.  Hopefully a double hit incoming with Thursday/ Fri then the CAPE Verde storm lol :sled:

Perhaps we actually get hit by a decent Cape Verde storm this year... :whistle:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Like when we tried to convert to the metric system.

No like when car accidents skyrocketed, kids were heading off to the bus in pitch black and cold. On the western edge of time zones, the sun rise would be at/near/after 9 am depending upon latitude.

When the idea was proposed in 1974, national polling said the idea was overwhelmingly popular. In one poll, the approval was 73% before they did it, but by March after the first winter the approval in the same poll was 19%. The reason for the giant shift was that nobody had actually experienced it realized how bad it actually would be. Some of us experienced this. Many have not. I suspect the support of dst comes from those without the experience.

27 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

No like when car accidents skyrocketed, kids were heading off to the bus in pitch black and cold. On the western edge of time zones, the sun rise would be at/near/after 9 am depending upon latitude.

When the idea was proposed in 1974, national polling said the idea was overwhelmingly popular. In one poll, the approval was 73% before they did it, but by March after the first winter the approval in the same poll was 19%. The reason for the giant shift was that nobody had actually experienced it realized how bad it actually would be. Some of us experienced this. Many have not. I suspect the support of dst comes from those without the experience.

Yeah I've heard of that and experienced it to an extent.  I grew up in northeast OH, maybe not the western edge of the eastern time zone, but definitely farther out than here on the East Coast.  At the time I was growing up the time changes occurred in April/October as I mentioned above.  Of course, "springing ahead" was always more physically difficult (still is!).  It was also darker in the morning when going off to school, though lighter at the end of the day.  I didn't mind DST when it was actually summer, it was kind of nice having light pretty late into the evening and the sun was higher anyhow at that time of year.  But the "edges" of DST did kind of suck.  That has been exacerbated by moving the start of DST to early-mid March and ending in early-mid November.  I just never saw the point of expanding it that much, especially on the early end going into March.  But I'm speaking from my experience in a location around this latitude and not the far northern states.

I can understand what @MN Transplant was saying above, that higher latitudes would benefit more with a time change. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Gets moderate/heavy snow to us. The H5 improvement was so good even I could tell it was 

Snowen I know you've taken some heat for newb things at times but I just want to say, I can tell you have a sense of humor and perspective about yourself that will serve you well in life (and the board but you know, life more important).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• mappy unpinned this topic