Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2022

George BM

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Some folks here are hard to please...ya try to be better but it still ain't good enough, smh Don't know what's considered a "dumb" question. I mean it's discussion among amateurs, professionals, everything in between. I'm "always confused"? The heck does that mean? Excuse me for not having a meteorology degree.

im not sure why you're taking that post so personally. you left a softball joke, and it was taken. 

11 hours ago, nj2va said:

Looks like a shithole :blahblah:

I know, right? I've seen that listing before when it went on the market...while clearly professionally photographed, it is a breathtaking property. The amenities and views would make former neighbor George Washington himself blush. I forget sometimes that there's a whole other level of "living" going on, even just a few miles away my own 1250 square foot "hovel."  :D 

9 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I know, right? I've seen that listing before when it went on the market...while clearly professionally photographed, it is a breathtaking property. The amenities and views would make former neighbor George Washington himself blush. I forget sometimes that there's a whole other level of "living" going on, even just a few miles away my own 1250 square foot "hovel."  :D 

That little area has gone from “rich” to “stupid people have too much money rich”. 

There is another area down near Gunston that has the same thing going 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Some folks here are hard to please...ya try to be better but it still ain't good enough, smh Don't know what's considered a "dumb" question. I mean it's discussion among amateurs, professionals, everything in between. I'm "always confused"? The heck does that mean? Excuse me for not having a meteorology degree.

I understand your frustration but for this particular debacle it’s harder to say it was a valid question. This is because the topic of snow boards has popped up now and again, which if payed attention to would solve the question. Not to mention all the just pictures of snow measurement are all on non paved stuff. Finally what ticked some people off is that it was a very easily googled question.

7 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I understand your frustration but for this particular debacle it’s harder to say it was a valid question. This is because the topic of snow boards has popped up now and again, which if payed attention to would solve the question. Not to mention all the just pictures of snow measurement are all on non paved stuff. Finally what ticked some people off is that it was a very easily googled question.

This is the primary one- just put in a little effort yourself first and if you can't find the answer then ask in the threads. Don't come across as if everything is a mystery.

52 minutes ago, H2O said:

That little area has gone from “rich” to “stupid people have too much money rich”. 

There is another area down near Gunston that has the same thing going 

It really has. I couldn't help myself and took another, closer glance at that listing. Forget the "main" house...the guest house is MORE than twice the square footage of my own. :D  But buried down toward the bottom of the breathlessly worded description was a fair amount of "geotechnical stabilization" talk....140 augur cast piles installed along the shoreline, 15 40-foot deep caissons installed on the house's foundation. Given the foundation, underground pipe and general runoff issues that plague Hayfield Farm due to widespread marine clay...I'm quite sure I wouldn't want to live any closer to the Potomac than this. You're uphill from me a good bit...and hopefully y'all don't have to deal with the damnable marine clay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Whenever I see a house that big, I immediately think two things:  1) How do you keep that clean? and 2) Imagine the utility bills

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Prob an age thing my friend. You grew up connected. Many here did not. For the older folks, words carry more meaning in general because we grew up in an era of face face face communication. It's a psychology thing. Not good or bad. It just is what it is and something to be mindful of

I guess, but at the same time I would think that being older would offset the words carrying more thing. At the same time I never really cared/care what others think of me that much, might just be more of a me thing.

2 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I guess, but at the same time I would think that being older would offset the words carrying more thing. At the same time I never really cared/care what others think of me that much, might just be more of a me thing.

It's an honor and respect thing. Something I personally take seriously. There's joking around and then there's something else. That line is subjective but I know exactly where my line is and I don't take S from anyone acting in bad faith or "looking to F with people". This isn't Twitter or TikTok. It's a very niche common interest group. More like a family than broad social media like reddit/fb/Twitter etc. When I call someone out here, it's for the benefit of the board, not me flexing on a power trip. Location matters on the internet. I've personally ripped some redditors a new one in ways I would never ever do here. 

I agree that thick skin is 100% required to participate on any internet forum. But imho, rules are not universal. I don't care what any internet stranger thinks of me either but that doesn't mean I'll let anything fly whenever. This board isn't about me. Its about a group of common interest people looking to share and learn as a group. Post quality effects 1000s of people here. Many of which have never posted a word here. I always keep "them" in mind when being active here 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I didn't know TO look it up--I had a long-held assumption--and I assumed it was the right answer. I had not made the connection with the snowboards despite seeing it mentioned but now it makes sense. Which is why the convo took me by surprise. I had assumed I knew how it was measured already--it was a MISTAKE dang it!!!!! I didn't know TO Google it beforehand that's it!!!!

Here's my issue...you're exhausting. That's my brutally honest take, so I do kind of apologize if it comes off as dick-ish.

It honestly doesn't feel like you actually listen to and process what people tell you. You bring up the same things over and over again, and in much the same fashion (e.g., "Nina! Oh...woe is me! All no-snow problems are because of the Nina!"), and no matter how many people try to answer your questions, give you good info, or talk you down from the ledge, you still come back to the same things time and time again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Here's my issue...you're exhausting. That's my brutally honest take, so I do kind of apologize if it comes off as dick-ish.

It honestly doesn't feel like you actually listen to and process what people tell you. You bring up the same things over and over again, and in much the same fashion (e.g., "Nina! Oh...woe is me! All no-snow problems are because of the Nina!"), and no matter how many people try to answer your questions, give you good info, or talk you down from the ledge, you still come back to the same things time and time again.

Hey, at least now we (hopefully) don't have to hear about Baltimore not having a warning level snowfall since 2016

• Haha 2

Because it's frickin' embarrassing and I ain't even mean to. Feel like I didn't even feel the landmine coming. The whole thing was a mistake--I had assumed I understood something, didn't put 2 and 2 together--didn't think to Google first because I thought I already knew. But me being surprised by a different answer and voicing said surprise was a mistake. Wonder what other assumptions I have? Smh

oookay. 

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Well...how about when DCA actually records > 17.8" for a big event, when many areas within DC itself and even right near DCA report 20"+? :lol:

I know, what is up with that? Why has it not been changed? My personal belief is that there is an international conspiracy keeping the reporting at DCA lower than it should be so that snow weenies get upset and start a revolution over it.

5 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Well...how about when DCA actually records > 17.8" for a big event, when many areas within DC itself and even right near DCA report 20"+? :lol:

Maybe they have been measuring on the pavement the whole time...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

It's a weather board of snow zealots. Proper measuring technique has been discussed on here ad naseum over the years. People here, of all places, know about snowboards and snow measuring technique. 

Don't take that poll, you won't like the results. 

Deleted the comment. Perhaps not here but elsewhere. Thing is I missed it and it's embarrassing as heck. I have no idea how I missed it like an idiot

• mappy unpinned this topic