Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2022

George BM

26 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Really need to reel in Sunday. My sons birthday is Monday and he’s dying for a snow day. 1000 dad points for something I have no control over = win!

Can we make the snow day Sunday? Howard County didn't build in any snow days, so we are making up all these days at the end of the year. We also lost Pres Day Monday (maybe it will snow!?!) Although if the make up days are all 3 hour early dismissals, I question how many kids will actually show up June 21.

1 minute ago, mdhokie said:

Can we make the snow day Sunday? Howard County didn't build in any snow days, so we are making up all these days at the end of the year. We also lost Pres Day Monday (maybe it will snow!?!) Although if the make up days are all 3 hour early dismissals, I question how many kids will actually show up June 21.

I expect they’ll eat into spring break

1 hour ago, mdhokie said:

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

I expect they’ll eat into spring break

I read today that the state won’t even consider granting end of year waiver days UNLESS you go to school on President’s Day. I thought it was a very quick decision to make PD a make up day when it takes weeks of deliberation to get anything else done. But now it makes sense.

17 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Interesting and space weather related I guess. SpaceX lost 40 satellites one day after launch due to a solar storm. Expensive storm for Elon. 

https://www.space.com/spacex-starlink-satellites-lost-geomagnetic-storm

And here they are - some of them.  Probably in record books for most expensive fireworks display! ;)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I don't have any influence over AccuWeather's forecast despite working there, I promise. ;)

Didn't want to pollute the "storm thread" (at least any more than it already is), but wanted to leave this banter-ish feedback here for you. I generally don't use or rely on AccuWeather's web-based products, but I *DO* keep the app on my phone and on my smartwatch for ONE single feature alone -- the anticipated precip alert (e.g., "Rain will start in next 20 minutes"). That's been pretty damn accurate in my experience, and often helps make the difference between cutting a walk/run short in time and getting soaked.

• Like 3

So CWG facebook has been about 4:1 climate change to actual capital weather posts for a while now, but now they are posting about ... fish being impacted by dams? Unless its going to increase the risk of downstream fishnadoes (in which case sign me up)... why?

CWG still does great local forecasts but it’s also about them being the weather section for one of the biggest national newspapers, meaning they pick up a ton of global/continental US weather-related stories, especially when the weather is slow locally

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

CWG still does great local forecasts but it’s also about them being the weather section for one of the biggest national newspapers, meaning they pick up a ton of global/continental US weather-related stories, especially when the weather is slow locally

Fair, but I suspect most of their facebook audience is DC people who care about the weather, not people overseas looking for stories about fish and dams.  Also, even if they pick up global/continental weather related stories, I am still not sure how that one has anything whatsoever to do with weather.  Except, of course, for the fishnadoes.

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic