Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

6 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Whole house just shook and rumbled. Is thunder snow even on the table with this? It was weird as hell. Woke up my kids so it wasn't just my drunk ass hallucinating.

2.9 earthquake near Gorham maybe was the culprit.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000ght9/executive

Edit:  I just saw Culligan's post.

• Like 1

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, klw said:

2.9 earthquake near Gorham maybe was the culprit.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000ght9/executive

Perhaps because all of the granite, we get certain types of earthquakes around here that tend to have a large boom. We’ve had a couple in Boscawen that were center in Boscawen. Each time I was away but my husband heard a sound that made him think that the boiler exploded or something

5 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

35.1 and rain in Newtonville. 

Will it get below freezing before the back edge of the precipitation comes through Boston?

If not, there are going to be many angry parents...

Yeah it will be there in the next couple hours or so. It’s gonna get pretty icy. 

5 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Perhaps because all of the granite, we get certain types of earthquakes around here that tend to have a large boom. We’ve had a couple in Boscawen that were center in Boscawen. Each time I was away but my husband heard a sound that made him think that the boiler exploded or something

Interesting…what is the effect of granite?

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Interesting…what is effect of granite?

I don’t think it’s the granite itself. I think it’s not being on a fault line. A lot of New England earthquakes are called intraplate earthquakes and they are more likely to cause booms I think.  Not an expert, just what I heard

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

35.1 and rain in Newtonville. 

Will it get below freezing before the back edge of the precipitation comes through Boston?

If not, there are going to be many angry parents..

Already are a lot of angry parents and teachers. I know many people who work in education and they are tired of school being cancelled the evening prior to next school day.

Some school districts haven't had a full week if classes since week ending December 18th.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Already are a lot of angry parents and teachers. I know many people who work in education and they are tired of school being cancelled the evening prior to next school day.

Some school districts haven't had a full week if classes since week ending December 18th.

They cancelled the other week when it stopped snowing at 10am after 1” of snow and parents went off. If it doesn’t ice over later to cause issues, it’s gonna get ugly. Not many have the luxury of WFH and getting a sitter. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Lol. My district had only missed one day prior to today. Not one staff member or parent I spoke with was upset.  We make them up      Parents hate the 6AM calls

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jculligan said:

It was a 2.9 magnitude quake centered in Gorham. We felt it here in Jackson too. My whole cabin shook and there was a rumbling noise outside like I've never heard before. Confirms that I don't ever want to experience a moderate or large earthquake lol.

Back on the weather side...I measured 4.5" at 1am and a whole lot more fell overnight. I'll go out for an updated measurement around 6:30. 24F with steady snow at the moment.

Holy crap!

• Like 1