joxey
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Absolutely. We used to play it around the clock in college.  

We had a basement at a buddy of mines house back in the 70's all set up with black lights and strobe lights ripping that on the turn table baked out of out gourds..............:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Model Eval Group just gave a presentation on the GFS and the gist...

I was on a separate call about a new road surface temp forecast tool, but I plan to dig into this Fri/Sat when they post the recording. Seems like the new GFS has some predictable biases still.

then it's particularly odd that GFS is so cold at the surface vs other guidance

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I was on a separate call about a new road surface temp forecast tool, but I plan to dig into this Fri/Sat when they post the recording. Seems like the new GFS has some predictable biases still.

th_charlie.jpg.8d820a53eeda56c578eed29a7a3b32a5.jpg

27 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

a forgotten band...Stuart Adamson was great!  that bagpipe guitar sound

I remember I first heard of them when I saw a concert video on MTV in 1984 or so.  I lived out in the country with my mom and brother but my dad lived in town and had cable.  Whenever we would be down there we would get our MTV.  Sad ending for Adamson.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

then it's particularly odd that GFS is so cold at the surface vs other guidance

Not sure what their definition of shallow is, because this cold may not be that shallow, but I'm most concerned with the underestimating warm layers aloft. Because what makes the GFS appealing right now is not the surface cold (all guidance more or less gets most of the area below freezing), it's the barely kissing freezing aloft that could support snow.

Right now I'm leaning that the barely snow supporting soundings are more figment than fact.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I remember I first heard of them when I saw a concert video on MTV in 1984 or so.  I lived out in the country with my mom and brother but my dad lived in town and had cable.  Whenever we would be down there we would get our MTV.  Sad ending for Adamson.

This was the concert you would have seen, simply fantastic.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'd like to know how they calculate snowfall via the GFS and NAM. I'm assuming it's a prognostic field since I can't find snowfall anywhere on the nomads server (GFS - all resolutions)... Only snow depth, categorical snow, snow water equivalent, and snow mixing ratio.

6 minutes ago, MegaMike said:

I'd like to know how they calculate snowfall via the GFS and NAM. I'm assuming it's a prognostic field since I can't find snowfall anywhere on the nomads server (GFS - all resolutions)... Only snow depth, categorical snow, snow water equivalent, and snow mixing ratio.

The only thing I know for sure is that the NAM 3km does incorporate a riming factor when outputting snow. Not quite explicit pytpe forecast, but close to it.