Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 1-3rd GHD III Part 2

Chicago Storm

*clears throat*
That is not the full run.  Only the final 24 hours of it.  :damage:
To be fair, comparing the models through 00z Thursday, the RAP isn't wildly different than the other non NAM models. 18z NAMs by far have the sharpest cutoff over northern Illinois. The incoming dry Arctic air mass will clearly play a role in causing the cutoff that all the models are depicting, but I think the NAM is likely being too aggressive with the razor sharp northwest edge.

I've seen multiple times where NAM soundings that are supportive of snow do not show any QPF/snow at that location. This on/off precip binning likely has something to do with the NAM's BMJ convective scheme according to one of our leads.

(O/T but this issue doesn't only arise with snow either. Those on here who chased April 14, 2012 will recall that the NAM did not convect on the KS dryline, which led a decent amount of chasers to go with the Nebraska warm front target.)

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

To be fair, comparing the models through 00z Thursday, the RAP isn't wildly different than the other non NAM models. 18z NAMs by far have the sharpest cutoff over northern Illinois. The incoming dry Arctic air mass will clearly play a role in causing the cutoff that all the models are depicting, but I think the NAM is likely being too aggressive with the razor sharp northwest edge.

I've seen multiple times where NAM soundings that are supportive of snow do not show any QPF/snow at that location. This on/off precip binning likely has something to do with the NAM's BMJ convective scheme according to one of our leads.

(O/T but this issue doesn't only arise with snow either. Those on here who chased April 14, 2012 will recall that the NAM did not convect on the KS dryline, which led a decent amount of chasers to go with the Nebraska warm front target.)

Yeah, good point about the NAM dry air tendencies.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Only Ricky could throw out a random comp and shoutout to a day we each saw tors in KS lol 

• Like 2

• Rjay locked this topic