• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

10 minutes ago, BxSnowWx37 said:

I wonder if they notice what's happening to the south and west of us..there is still a low sitting on the boundary while the approaching artic front and disturbance swing east.??..you can see some precip breaking out in the Virginia's.??

Yup. This was the meso LP the models were picking up on yesterday. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BxSnowWx37 said:

I wonder if they notice what's happening to the south and west of us..there is still a low sitting on the boundary while the approaching artic front and disturbance swing east.??..you can see some precip breaking out in the Virginia's.??

That’s too far South and the trajectory is too Easterly to hit us.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

So 30 or so miles north of Times Sq is the fringe of the metro but 60 miles out in Suffolk isn't fringe? C'mon...

I have tree branches bouncing off the roof now. Yup, non event.

People have no problem saying that Riverhead is part of the Metro but Orange County might as well be Buffalo.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

I hate the GFS but it was the only model that had me below freezing and with ZR before midnight. Every other model had it 2 to 4 hours later. 

For days GFS kept insisting my area would see a horrific ice storm, but instead we ended up being all rain here. It was way off for my area. The truth for the tri-state ended up being in between GFS and the warmer models. Even though GFS overdid it, it certainly was useful since it alerted us early on that there would be an ice threat for at least part of the area.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

For days GFS kept insisting my area would see a horrific ice storm, but instead we ended up being all rain here. It was way off for my area. The truth for the tri-state ended up being in between GFS and the warmer models. Even though GFS overdid it, it certainly was useful since it alerted us early on that there would be an ice threat for at least part of the area.

Yep, GFS was always an outlier and I'm glad I didn't go for it in my communications to others - have been very skeptical of much ZR for CNJ south of 78 here, on 33 and elsewhere and it looks like we're going to get little to no ice, as precip is shutting off before we get to 32F. The NYC thing was fascinating though, seeing NYC and NENJ east of the TPK (all close to the Hudson) get below 32F well before places 10-20 miles west, which is the opposite of what we usually see.  

1 minute ago, weathermedic said:

Hearing on the scanner of icing conditions in Bronx, Manhattan and northern parts of Queens. Here in southern Brooklyn I am down to 31 with some drizzle. No icing that I can see as of yet.

It's a ice skating rink up here..I can confirm this. Its been icy since this morning.:blink:

Well, about an hour ago it finally reached 32F here in Metuchen (and N or the Raritan in general) and we did get a very light glaze of freezing rain on colder surfaces (unpaved), like the grass and our deck and any metal, which means the NWS advisory verified for us.  Also had a short burst of sleet.  Looks like another burst of freezing rain or sleet is on our doorstep.  Nice to at least see something...