• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

1 minute ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Really tough forecast. NWS Albany isn't buying the .50+ ZR in my area and calling for about .20 ZR and 1-2 inches of sleet and then 1-3 of snow. We shall see. 

That's not a bad call up in your area. You will cool faster aloft and will get more sleet than areas farther South. I think you will need to be well South of 84 for this to be significant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Really tough forecast. NWS Albany isn't buying the .50+ ZR in my area and calling for about .20 ZR and 1-2 inches of sleet and then 1-3 of snow. We shall see. 

Areas along and N of 84 will prob deal with more IP than ZR. I see the potential ZR problem in areas like NNJ/Rockland/Westchester

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, snywx said:

Areas along and N of 84 will prob deal with more IP than ZR. I see the potential ZR problem in areas like NNJ/Rockland/Westchester

That’s what I’m feeling right now too, if I had to guess a forecast for our areas it would probably also be 1-3 with up to .1.-.2 of ZR, and definitely more sleet. Good to make a bulletproof pack, hellish to try and clear after the fact especially with the temps crashing right back down Friday afternoon + evening. 

2 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

That’s what I’m feeling right now too, if I had to guess a forecast for our areas it would probably also be 1-3 with up to .1.-.2 of ZR, and definitely more sleet. Good to make a bulletproof pack, hellish to try and clear after the fact especially with the temps crashing right back down Friday afternoon + evening. 

Most of the power grid down this way is above ground.

I know a lot was said about moving it underground after Sandy but it hasn't happened yet.

I think most of NYC is underground which is why those areas are more immune to ice storms but the suburbs are a completely different story.

10 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Most of the power grid down this way is above ground.

I know a lot was said about moving it underground after Sandy but it hasn't happened yet.

I think most of NYC is underground which is why those areas are more immune to ice storms but the suburbs are a completely different story.

NJ, I’m in the haverstraw area of rockland county and the lines on my block and in my area are underground 

5 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

If the location of the arctic high pressure is situated properly with the cold air draining down the Hudson Valley into NYC, that is usually how the city gets cold quicker and stays cold rather than on a northwesterly flow 

All of the flow at the mid levels are Southwesterly so not much warmer air to come in off the ocean.

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Those are pretty scary but not sure how well they usually verify.  I did see the SPC HREF though already has FZRA to Long Island by 09-10Z

They typically never do. Common rule is to cut QPF maps by 35-40% to get totals and that’ll get a wide enough area to .25” or more which still will prove to be a gigantic problem.

As always, it bears remembering that QPF falling as freezing rain isn't the same as the eventual glaze thickness. In excellent conditions, radial ice accretion to liquid ratios are around 0.3:1 or 0.4:1, with horizontal accretion around 0.75:1. So 0.5" of "freezing rain QPF" will not be half an inch of ice sitting on power lines.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

As always, it bears remembering that QPF falling as freezing rain isn't the same as the eventual glaze thickness. In excellent conditions, radial ice accretion to liquid ratios are around 0.3:1 or 0.4:1, with horizontal accretion around 0.75:1. So 0.5" of "freezing rain QPF" will not be half an inch of ice sitting on power lines.

Thank God! 

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Agree and it would also be following warmth and rain especially closer to the coast which I would think would also reduce accretion somewhat. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

If the location of the arctic high pressure is situated properly with the cold air draining down the Hudson Valley into NYC, that is usually how the city gets cold quicker and stays cold rather than on a northwesterly flow 

Very good point, if the cold is coming from the northwest it will take a lot longer to reach the metro area than if its coming out of the north.

9 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

All depends on the surface temperature. Temperature around 32 won’t accumulate as much ice as temps in the mid 20’s. 

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic