• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

UK and GGEM seem considerably warmer than GFS. Starting to think GFS is out to lunch and many of us get rain to maybe brief snow at the end. 

For NYC metro and Long island yes, but for well N and W Ukie has us changing to frozen after midnight Thursday night. Hoping for sleet/snow rather than ice. 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

For NYC metro and Long island yes, but for well N and W Ukie has us changing to frozen after midnight Thursday night. Hoping for sleet/snow rather than ice. 

These are the types of setups where some locations aren't going to know exactly what they will end up with till the last minute or in the middle of it........Thats why it will be important for the NWS to warn against various possible outcomes....

• Like 2

The Great Ice Storm of 1998 was no joke either.  1 - 3 inches of ice in parts of NH are reported in the article, but I witnessed a few microclimate pockets first hand that saw 5+  The trees in those areas of forest that looked straight out of WW1, very surreal.  Nothing but shattered trunks, if anything was still standing at all.  Long days and nights of constantly crashing trees and branches..  It was a once in a lifetime event....I hope.    Side note:  The estimated load of one inch of icing on a 25 ft tree is 1 ton of ice.  Put 3 inches of ice on a 75 tree and look out below!

Just now, LawdogGRNJ said:

The Great Ice Storm of 1998 was no joke either.  1 - 3 inches of ice in parts of NH are reported in the article, but I witnessed a few microclimate pockets first hand that saw 5+  The trees in those areas of forest that looked straight out of WW1, very surreal.  Nothing but shattered trunks, if anything was still standing at all.  Long days and nights of constantly crashing trees and branches..  It was a once in a lifetime event....I hope.    Side note:  The estimated load of one inch of icing on a 25 ft tree is 1 ton of ice.  Put 3 inches of ice on a 75 tree and look out below!

That was a devastating ice storm in Montreal and southern Quebec.

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

Truth is, if you live south or east of 287, ice storms verify.

There is no topography to hold the surface cold and, in NYC , too much cement if its marginally cold. 1994 comes to mind. The prolonged sleet storm Valentines 2007 also comes to mind. It is rare.

NYC metro is likely looking at a cold rain with some icing N and W.

This isn't your typical SWFE setup with retreating cold.

1 minute ago, Eduardo said:

This is a fair point.  Still (and I could end up dead wrong), my money wouldn't be on a ZR event in NYC proper.  N&W is a different story though.

The coast actually has a potential to see more ZR than the far interior because the colder air is filtering in and that will eventually change over to more sleet the farther NW you get.

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

This isn't your typical SWFE setup with retreating cold.

But will the high build in fast enough to drop those surface temps. Consensus says no. 

If it does then it would be an ice storm and surface temps would likely trend even colder. The snow cover would also help keep us cold.  

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

But will the high build in fast enough to drop those surface temps. Consensus says no. 

If it does then it would be an ice storm and surface temps would likely trend even colder. The snow cover would also help keep us cold.  

If the GFS is correct, the surface is already down to the lower 20's by 06z Saturday for the Hudson Valley and interior NNJ. 32 degrees in NYC and drops from there. The heaviest precip falls after 06z.

12 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The coast actually has a potential to see more ZR than the far interior because the colder air is filtering in and that will eventually change over to more sleet the farther NW you get.

Yeah I see what you're saying.  There's a higher-than-normal chance of legit ZR to the coast with this setup for sure.  But, considering climo and the GFS's westward correction with this past weekend's storm, I'm thinking the coast and city'll dodge the bullet this time around.  Again, I could end up wrong.

29 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Agree.. Just took a peek at the soundings for MGJ and its a classic sleet -> snow signature. Warm layer is between 800-850. From 850 to the surface its cold cold. Maybe .10-.15 of liquid precip

• Like 2

Once again though we are trying to predict what will happen several days out, and we won't know the outcome till what, Friday? So I'm watching this one because my son has a class at the Bronx Zoo Saturday and commutes from CNJ. They probably don't cancel if there isn't a strong consensus, and that could be a mistake. 

Big trend towards the GFS this run.

Colder surface but mid-levels remain warm.

Just an FYI, you need the warm air aloft to get the precip in the first place.

If the mid levels trend colder there will be much less precip.

Bottom line, virtually no chance of this ending up as a snow event for us.

850th.us_ne.png

• Like 2

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic