Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 2022

cleetussnow

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

It's unbelievable to me because I spent money getting siding put on my house and new windows with insulation and the wind is still getting in somehow.  So I'm running house heat plus space heaters.  At least there's no wind getting into my bedroom in spite of the fact that I have windows on three sides in there, so I keep the door closed and then it's okay.  The rest of the house is freezing though, I noticed a breeze when I walked through the bathroom and downstairs by the living room and sun room.

Great. I’m doing the new windows/siding thing in April.  Hoping for better heat retention.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Yeah, was just looking at that. Wednesday looking really nice for temps. The nws model blend is a bit toned down. But we overperform on warmth these days. So I suspect the euro is closer to reality. Looking forward to that in a couple days.

blend_t2m_hi_newyork_4.thumb.png.1c6404b9414336744c6e7c400de2f986.png

Looks like I’ll be in shorts and short sleeves again….

• Weenie 2

Morning thoughts…

Today will be sunny but cold. High temperatures will likely reach the middle and upper 30s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 36°

Newark: 37°

Philadelphia: 40°

Milder air will return tomorrow.

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 43.2°; 15-Year: 43.3°

Newark: 30-Year: 44.1°; 15-Year: 44.3°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 45.4°; 15-Year: 45.2°

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EasternLI said:

You must be looking forward to that after those occasions of hypothermia this month.... Hopefully you're fully recovered. 

whatare-you-doing-epicfailure.gif

Good morning E LI. That’s the closest depiction of present life expectations I’ve seen in quite awhile. Stay well, as always ……

• Like 2

Just now, bluewave said:

The EPS run a combination of competing influences. The wave break produces a strong -EPO. But the forcing near the Maritime Continent is giving us a -PNA. 

24E71D86-E23A-4C16-BC0C-4A8402018DF4.gif.a16c1210cfcedbe2f133ec1484616758.gif

73A68135-E9EC-40D5-8025-B348F8A3DF80.gif.6905786600110cbe5f4b3ebec1e2ff0a.gif

5EC6034B-9469-4A4D-A573-4912C15B7F58.gif.7466cd697fce916047d4e7c8f7ad70e5.gif

Thanks.

Looks on par with GEFS and GEPS. 

Both GEFS and GEPS have us on the cold side of the SE ridge. 

Assuming in the above we are below average temp wise as well?

• Like 2

Milder weather will return starting tomorrow, but some cold could return in time for a late week storm. As a result, interior sections of the Northeast could be in line for at least some accumulating snow. Despite some GFS runs showing 4" or more snow for New York City, the forecast pattern generally argues against such an outcome. During the February 20-29, 1950-2021 period, 4/13 (31%) of 4" or greater snowstorms saw a positive AO. The evolution of synoptic details will determine the outcome and, at present, most of the guidance argues against a moderate snowfall in and around New York City.

Overall, things remain on course for a warmer than normal second half of February. The potential exists for several days to see much above normal temperatures during that time. The warm pattern will likely begin to break down during the closing days of February.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -1.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.7°C for the week centered around February 9. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.77°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.78°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist into at least mid-March.

The SOI was +5.00 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +2.988.

On February 18 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 1.817 (RMM). The February 17-adjusted amplitude was 1.793 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 76% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal February (1991-2020 normal). February will likely finish with a mean temperature near 37.5° (1.6° above normal).

9 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Milder weather will return starting tomorrow, but some cold could return in time for a late week storm. As a result, interior sections of the Northeast could be in line for at least some accumulating snow. Despite some GFS runs showing 4" or more snow for New York City, the forecast pattern generally argues against such an outcome. During the February 20-29, 1950-2021 period, 4/13 (31%) of 4" or greater snowstorms saw a positive AO. The evolution of synoptic details will determine the outcome and, at present, most of the guidance argues against a moderate snowfall in and around New York City.

Overall, things remain on course for a warmer than normal second half of February. The potential exists for several days to see much above normal temperatures during that time. The warm pattern will likely begin to break down during the closing days of February.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -1.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.7°C for the week centered around February 9. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.77°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.78°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist into at least mid-March.

The SOI was +5.00 today.

On February 18 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 1.817 (RMM). The February 17-adjusted amplitude was 1.793 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 76% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal February (1991-2020 normal). February will likely finish with a mean temperature near 37.5° (1.6° above normal).

Don looks like that late week storm will be far more rain than snow so how does it look for the Sunday night storm?  I've been hearing more about that one lately.

• Like 1

The last 8 days of February are averaging 37degs.(29/45) or Normal.

Month to date is  36.8[+1.6].         February should end at  37.0[+1.1].

Reached 40 here yesterday.

Today:  50-53, wind sw., few clouds.

GFS Magic Carpet Ride is over-----little snow to show for Friday.     T corrected too.      The winter window is shut on all the models for NYC snow.

33*(70%RH) here at 6am.         42* at Noon.          45* at 2pm.      48* at 3pm.        Reached 50* at 4:30-5:30pm.

57 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

If the h5 is correct skiing will be the best in March 

Here comes the next record breaking WPAC storm that’s going to pump the -EPO +PNA block in early March. But it looks like the forcing moving near the Maritime Continent will allow the -PNA to drop a few days later. Then another amplification of the block will allow the Arctic high to press. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Here comes the next record breaking WPAC storm that’s going to pump the -EPO +PNA block in early March. But it looks like the forcing moving near the Maritime Continent will allow the -PNA to drop a few days later. Then another amplification of the block will allow the Arctic high to press. 

Going to be a massive squeeze play second week of March in the east. If that epo keeps pushing east will send the tpv south 

14 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

The SOI was +5.00 today.

Amazing the probability for warmer then normal February went from 86%, dropped down to 76%.