Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2022

cleetussnow

9 hours ago, gravitylover said:

You did it again. 

Just pointing out that what some troll wants will actually put the forum into a slumber for a few months.

And guess what happened today, my allergies are back AND I saw my first mosquito.

I guess it's time to start spraying for both weeds and mosquitoes.

Temperatures soared into the upper 50s and even lower 60s across the region today. The early spring fling will continue tomorrow, as temperatures again rise well into the 50s and perhaps lower 60s.

The unseasonable warmth will be interrupted on Sunday. A strong cold front will result in sharply colder conditions for Sunday. This cold shot will be short-lived. However, while the cold air is in place, an offshore storm could bring a light snow to parts of the region on Sunday into Monday.

There is consensus on the long range ensembles that the second half of February will likely experience a significant pattern change. Ridging will develop in the East. That pattern change would lead to a return of sustained above normal to occasionally much above normal readings after mid-month. The warmer pattern will likely prevail into the opening week of March.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -1.0°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.6°C for the week centered around February 2. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.80°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.83°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist through meteorological winter.

The SOI was +6.58 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.307.

On February 9 the MJO was in Phase 2 at an amplitude of 1.122 (RMM). The February 8-adjusted amplitude was 1.063 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 73% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal February (1991-2020 normal). February will likely finish with a mean temperature near 37.8° (1.9° above normal).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rjay said:

56 in nyc at 2am

So you're saying the one mosquito I saw yesterday is going to be like 1000 today?

That's it, I'm spraying later today.

Yall might want to keep your masks on today lol.

I envision multiple days this summer with lots of lows in the 80s and highs over 100.  If we're going to be warm right now we might as well be super hot in the summer and set some records to remember.  July 2010/2011 redux coming up.

The next 8 days are averaging 40degs.(32/47) or +5.

Month to date is  37.0[+2.7].      Should be 38.2[+3.7] by the 20th.

WARNING SHOT AGAIN---The CFSv2 looks scary cold everywhere for the next 30 to 45 days.     Texas gets the worst of it---so lucky for all it is not January being talked about.    March 8-11 looked............{fill in} lol!

Now B.t.R.:

Reached 53 at midnight yesterday after just reaching 48 during the daylight.

Today: 53-56 early, dropping late to 36 by tomorrow AM, cloudy with breaks.

53*(47%RH) here at 6am.      58* at 1pm.         Fell back to 56* but was:  60* at 3pm.        48* at 9pm.

• Thanks 1

Yep it does look pretty warm to end Feb/begin March. Still can get wet snow/ice surprises embedded but it won't last long.  Concerned about vast snowpack degradation Tug Hill late this coming week and beyond.  

Presume everyone is onto the potential 50-60 MPH wind event here late Thursday or Friday the 18th. 

• Like 4

Morning thoughts…

It will be partly sunny and very mild. High temperatures will likely reach the upper 50s and lower 60s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 57°

Newark: 58°

Philadelphia: 60°

Tomorrow will be mostly cloudy with periods of light snow. A general 1”-2” is likely with some locally higher amounts across central New Jersey and portions of Long Island. It will be much colder.

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 41.6°; 15-Year: 41.6°

Newark: 30-Year: 42.3°; 15-Year: 42.4°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 43.6°; 15-Year: 43.4°

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Yes but to declare winter done this early is insane. 

Look at the next three weeks. Then refer to a climatology chart.

Prolonged cold is done.

Just looking at your posts in the storm thread, you are a lot more hopeful then I am…which is a nice trait.

I feel bad for the close in ski resorts. they had a brutal December and things aren’t looking all that great for Presidents week after a very good January/early February 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Look at the next three weeks. Then refer to a climatology chart.

Prolonged cold is done.

Just looking at your posts in the storm thread, you are a lot more hopeful then I am…which is a nice trait.

I feel bad for the close in ski resorts. they had a brutal December and things aren’t looking all that great for Presidents week after a very good January/early February 

Very bad winter for many areas

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

So you're saying the one mosquito I saw yesterday is going to be like 1000 today?

That's it, I'm spraying later today.

Yall might want to keep your masks on today lol.

I envision multiple days this summer with lots of lows in the 80s and highs over 100.  If we're going to be warm right now we might as well be super hot in the summer and set some records to remember.  July 2010/2011 redux coming up.

You do not want this. This type of extreme heat over a large metro area would be very bad.

We've also warmed a lot since then so heat on that level could rival the heat we saw in Pacific NW or 110+ temperatures. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Yeah it feels great out there.  Whatever one's thoughts on this winter so far, once got past our usual Christmastime 60s it hasn't been above 50 much right?  Today reminds me of the old days when a sunny mid 50s day in Feb after nothing like it since December,  feels like early Spring.

By mid Feb you're getting a late October sun angle plus you body has acclimated to the cold so 50s feel a lot warmer than November/December. 

With our warming climate the transition into spring comes quickly however you still get flashes of harsh winter weather to ruin the party, which feel worse after a string of upper 50s.