Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021/2022 February Thread

AMZ8990

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

The GFS was similar to 0z but remains alone. That's happened all winter, sometimes its been right and the others folded, sometimes wrong and it did. Hopefully it's right with a late winter send off. 

Even with the GFS, the temps seem to warm pretty quickly after the snow falls. Still wouldn't mind a quick thump. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silas Lang said:

Even with the GFS, the temps seem to warm pretty quickly after the snow falls. Still wouldn't mind a quick thump. 

That's the way it goes 90 percent of the time with late season snows. But it's always fun while it's falling. 

The Euro has the same snow footprint but just much lighter amounts. 

• Like 3

I think we're in the worst of the "long range modeling having deteriorating looks" phase of Feb. Tropical convection is ugly, but chugging along:

hUzcWIC.png

It still has to make it further east and not die out when and if it gets into more favorable reasons. I'm sure there will be a couple of tropical cyclones to delay it as well, but I think the second week of March holds some hope. There's some talk in the MA forum of a -AO as well. 

Or I could be totally wrong. But hey, at least the floods look like they end today for a week! And no one has 14 inches of rain, thankfully. 

• Like 2

I saw a minor sleet and fzr event wed afternoon into midday Thursday. Wed afternoon it was bad here. We got heavy sleet and thunder at 28 degrees. Never saw thundersleet until then:mellow:. No power outages but got about half inch sleet and quarter inch ice. I think the ao and nao will trend negative mid month due to strat stuff going on and maybe one last hoorah if we can get a ULL. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mr. Kevin said:

I saw a minor sleet and fzr event wed afternoon into midday Thursday. Wed afternoon it was bad here. We got heavy sleet and thunder at 28 degrees. Never saw thundersleet until then:mellow:. No power outages but got about half inch sleet and quarter inch ice. I think the ao and nao will trend negative mid month due to strat stuff going on and maybe one last hoorah if we can get a ULL. 

I was wondering how much wintery weather you got. Appeared to be a long duration event.

• Like 1

Looks like the convection from last Sunday has pushed into the western Pac a little quicker than I was expecting. 

M5TPtzu.png

With that look I wouldn't be surprised if there is a huge SOI drop one day later this week or next weekend. Now to be fair the SOI was almost +20 today, but there is also a tropical cyclone creeping around near Darwin. 

Looks like there is also some decent convection firing in the eastern Indian Ocean, so I guess we'll see what that does as the week goes on. 

I still think we might have a window centered on the ides of March, plus or minus a few days before or after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So by now, we all know March will come in like a lamb. The questions I'm getting from colleagues concern if we'll see severe and/or more winter weather in the near future. Oddly, while I think the lion will eventually come, I'm not seeing evidence to either apart from more heaving rain March 5-12. Personally, I would love one more winter weather event even if it means a plateau chase. Severe weather...I'm rooting for a quiet year. 2020 and 2021 have been brutal  years for middle Tennessee.

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic