• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021/2022 February Thread

AMZ8990

06z is a clipper parade that skirts the area. Shows rain at 138 on the map on Pivotal but the soundings are solidly in the snow indication even at that hour. Column is sub freezing all the way to the surface and it's fairly steep lapse rates too. Another clipper rolls in about 24-30 hours later. It moves almost W to E once it gets to Missouri or that area. Shows rain in Kentucky and clips the Plateau and NE areas with snow. Soundings under the model depicted rain are solidly in the snow category though. Most modeling outside the GFS is trying the bone dry approach. The GFS is merely mostly dry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Those last two runs of the Euro/GFS are what winter storm dreams are made of across the Valley region. 

Indeed. Temps are below freezing during the event and stay that way for days afterwards. Lows in the single digits and teens at night. Perfect winter storm for the area. 

• Like 5

Lol. Not surprising really. I don't get how they picked that up and then completely lost it.

How many snows , storms or clippers have we saw advertised recently within the 10 day window that has materialized.?...Very few. 

I'm basically down to having any hopes in one, of about 3 days on the horizon.

• Like 1

12z ECMWF isn't anything to write home about. Basically, a dry NW flow with a few dusting clippers. We'd be relying on overperforming flizzards akin to last week or phasing to offset restricted moisture supply. We'll see if something trackable for next week remerges. As John recently mentioned, local climo suggests the second week of February can get interesting. Unfortunately, my gut says we're dealing with a placement with teleconnection issue as opposed to a 'models lost the system in the midrange' issue. I sure hope I'm wrong. Despite hitting double digits in total snow this winter, I wouldn't mind another hit before spring.

• Like 4

Robert Gamble of WxSouth's post on Facebook today...

Smooth sailing ahead this week, except tomorrow in VA, Carolinas down to Florida with mainly light precip. There could be an hour or 2 in the NC piedmont early morning for very brief light freezing rain or a sleet pellet, then temps go above 32 ---but will be a raw, cold Monday east of the Apps.

Then just a series of dry fronts but much sunnier weather to finish out the week most of the central and Southeast US. The next system with any potential for development of Gulf moisture will be Saturday night and Sunday--very little chance though, but worth a watch in GA, FL, Carolinas for possibly some precip. That is followed by another pretty sharp cool down, that won't last too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic