Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022' Winter Rec thread

Jonger

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Southern MI had more snow on the ground than most of Northern lower MI the past week. But Munising is looking great!

That area has done well due to a persistent NW flow all winter.  As of today the Munising station has recorded 151.4", with 35" otg.

And things look good in the belts

snku_acc.us_mw.thumb.png.acd11716569dd3f01a69cab49e3fb8b9.png

15 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Southern MI had more snow on the ground than most of Northern lower MI the past week. But Munising is looking great!

That pretty much sums up the winter up here. UP has done very well this year, NWL not so much. I have about a foot on the ground for quite some time but mainly due to persistent cold and no sun.  Still getting Lake Effect Clouds just not the snow as its hugged the shore all winter long. 

14 hours ago, weatherbo said:

That area has done well due to a persistent NW flow all winter.  As of today the Munising station has recorded 151.4", with 35" otg.

And things look good in the belts

snku_acc.us_mw.thumb.png.acd11716569dd3f01a69cab49e3fb8b9.png

He Bo How you been...

Very strange how the UP especially towards Munsing and East have been more of a NW flow (best flow for my area and most common during normal winters) while my area not to far to the south has been in a N or NNW flow all winter, never seen that before. NWL was just to close to the sharp trough that kept setup for winter and all the systems lopped around here dragging the sharp N winds with it.  Just south of Grand Traverse bay has been cleaning up this winter for sure. 

25 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

He Bo How you been...

Very strange how the UP especially towards Munsing and East have been more of a NW flow (best flow for my area and most common during normal winters) while my area not to far to the south has been in a N or NNW flow all winter, never seen that before. NWL was just to close to the sharp trough that kept setup for winter and all the systems lopped around here dragging the sharp N winds with it.  Just south of Grand Traverse bay has been cleaning up this winter for sure. 

Hey Josh.  I'm doing well.  Thanks for asking.  I keep think you're gonna post one day and say you've moved to the Tug or something, but after so many years in Gaylord, you may be done with snow and cold. haha

I think the last real good winters in N lower were the two years I lived there, 2012-13 and 2013-14.  I can remember it snowing in Ellsworth to some degree for two weeks straight one of those years.  Hope the last month or so of winter can deliver for ya, although this late in the season, the excitement does dwindle.

The lack of snow in the lower is starting to grow thin....literally. Did we even have a solid week of snow in the lower worth riding?

Seems like every winter we're stuck in the M28 corridor or western U.P. After the last two day cracking the upper 30s....you can bank on SW Michigan being trash now.

Oh....and Jan 2022 was the 15th coldest month in 42 years. It wasn't for a lack of cold.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, josh_4184 said:

He Bo How you been...

We managed a couple days of W/WNW winds to get some decent LES but most of the winter it has been exactly as you described it.  N or NNW and areas hugging the coast cashing in.

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

The lack of snow in the lower is starting to grow thin....literally. Did we even have a solid week of snow in the lower worth riding?

Seems like every winter we're stuck in the M28 corridor or western U.P. After the last two day cracking the upper 30s....you can bank on SW Michigan being trash now.

Oh....and Jan 2022 was the 15th coldest month in 42 years. It wasn't for a lack of cold.

It's funny how averages are made.  My sister lives on the other side of the state.  90s were terrible snow years in SE MI but LES on the west side was good.  The past several years not the LES has been more or less shut down (occasional great events but exception more than rule).  I think it has a lot to do with the patterns/oscillations we have been in.  The traditional Alberta clippers just have not occurred in recent years (they have been scarce).  You know it will return but when,  I honestly thought this was going to be the year but obviously NOT.

5 minutes ago, Lightning said:

It's funny how averages are made.  My sister lives on the other side of the state.  90s were terrible snow years in SE MI but LES on the west side was good.  The past several years not the LES has been more or less shut down (occasional great events but exception more than rule).  I think it has a lot to do with the patterns/oscillations we have been in.  The traditional Alberta clippers just have not occurred in recent years (they have been scarce).  You know it will return but when,  I honestly thought this was going to be the year but obviously NOT.

I remember having snow issues in the mid 1990s in Northern Lower....so you just never know. We don't have good records going far back, just a lot of sketchy recollections and heresy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

I remember having snow issues in the mid 1990s in Northern Lower....so you just never know. We don't have good records going far back, just a lot of sketchy recollections and heresy.

There are good records going back quite a ways, but likely not for the areas you like to ride in.  I wouldn't pin much into recollections and here say, we know how that usually goes lol.

• Like 1

This will really tell you how much of a nerd I am when it comes to winter weather and snowmobiling but I’ve kept a journal going back to the 1995-1996 winter, yes 27 years, that lists each snowmobile trip I did, where it was, how much snow was on the ground, who I rode with and how many miles we rode along with a little short description of the trip itself. I also give a summary at the end of each season like what sled we had at the time, total miles rode that season and if it was a good season or bad. I know very nerdy but it’s neat to look back at it and the memories it brings back up. I will say the last “great “ season according to my journal was 2007-2008. Since then 2012-2013, 2013-2014 and 2016-2017 were good seasons, the remaining I considered bad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Up_north_MI said:

This will really tell you how much of a nerd I am when it comes to winter weather and snowmobiling but I’ve kept a journal going back to the 1995-1996 winter, yes 27 years, that lists each snowmobile trip I did, where it was, how much snow was on the ground, who I rode with and how many miles we rode along with a little short description of the trip itself. I also give a summary at the end of each season like what sled we had at the time, total miles rode that season and if it was a good season or bad. I know very nerdy but it’s neat to look back at it and the memories it brings back up. I will say the last “great “ season according to my journal was 2007-2008. Since then 2012-2013, 2013-2014 and 2016-2017 were good seasons, the remaining I considered bad.

You sound like the Higgins Lake version of Josh.

2013-2014 was the best winter of my lifetime and it's not even close. Only Feb 2015 was colder. 

7 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

We managed a couple days of W/WNW winds to get some decent LES but most of the winter it has been exactly as you described it.  N or NNW and areas hugging the coast cashing in.

i have had a couple good hit early on in November then in December had about 24" otg then we torched and haven't had much since been all on he coast.  I'm ready for spring now, if I read another APX AFD mentioning  N/NNW winds going stop reading until next season lol. 

8 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Hey Josh.  I'm doing well.  Thanks for asking.  I keep think you're gonna post one day and say you've moved to the Tug or something, but after so many years in Gaylord, you may be done with snow and cold. haha

I think the last real good winters in N lower were the two years I lived there, 2012-13 and 2013-14.  I can remember it snowing in Ellsworth to some degree for two weeks straight one of those years.  Hope the last month or so of winter can deliver for ya, although this late in the season, the excitement does dwindle.

lol, yea im ready for spring, sustained cold and no snow is no beano for me. Does sting a bit more since UP and coastline have ha da good year, you don't get to  pick your weather you get what you get, as said before just glad I gave up on most winter sports besides Skiing / tubing now. Ready to get my boat and 5th wheel out now.

Here is a pic at our "peak" winter isnt saying much. This was back around December 7th, for a brief period we were actually above average for snow ytd.

263648506_10220557549268262_288557008576

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Up_north_MI said:

1995-96 is the Winter that I began recording snowfall and I haven't missed a beat since.. I also write-up a summary at the end of each Winter. Weather Winter nerds unite.  The most non Winter was 2011-12, and the best was 2013-14. I mean, nothings even been close to that once in a lifetime Winter. Winters the past 20 years are far superior to those my first 7 years recording data.

Im a snowmobiler. Though I rarely ride in the midwest anymore. Only when trails are open in my area, SE WI. 

I take 3-4, week long trips to Rockies every season. Actually Im in western Wyoming right now. Snow is thin for this area at this time of year as well. No official measurement, but probably about 50"-60" on ground at 10k feet. Hasn't really snowed here in the last month. 

Last year was a pretty epic season. This year not so much...

7 hours ago, Wttnwx said:

Im a snowmobiler. Though I rarely ride in the midwest anymore. Only when trails are open in my area, SE WI. 

I take 3-4, week long trips to Rockies every season. Actually Im in western Wyoming right now. Snow is thin for this area at this time of year as well. No official measurement, but probably about 50"-60" on ground at 10k feet. Hasn't really snowed here in the last month. 

Last year was a pretty epic season. This year not so much...

I enjoy riding out west also, unfortunately this will be the 3rd winter in a row that our group won’t be going out there. We had a trip planned to the Crater Lake area in Oregon that March that Covid hit so we had to cancel and now with my son’s school schedule, he’s a sophomore in college, it’s more difficult for him to take a week off during school so we have just been chasing snow here in MI the past two winters. Hopefully once he graduates we’ll start getting back out west riding before I get to old and can’t do it safely anymore. We’ve riding in West Yellowstone probably a half dozen times, Island Park, Cook city and the last few trips were to Togwotee. When we used to trailer out there we would go to Albany south west of Laramie. Have a safe trip and hopefully you guys will get some fresh powder to play in.

14 hours ago, Up_north_MI said:

I enjoy riding out west also, unfortunately this will be the 3rd winter in a row that our group won’t be going out there. We had a trip planned to the Crater Lake area in Oregon that March that Covid hit so we had to cancel and now with my son’s school schedule, he’s a sophomore in college, it’s more difficult for him to take a week off during school so we have just been chasing snow here in MI the past two winters. Hopefully once he graduates we’ll start getting back out west riding before I get to old and can’t do it safely anymore. We’ve riding in West Yellowstone probably a half dozen times, Island Park, Cook city and the last few trips were to Togwotee. When we used to trailer out there we would go to Albany south west of Laramie. Have a safe trip and hopefully you guys will get some fresh powder to play in.

Been to all of those, though we usually stay at Mountain Meadows in the Snowy's, up on top.

At Togwotee now. Going home in morning. 

Once restrictions to Canada are lifted, we are going to book a trip to Grizzly Lodge in BC. Got to book a year in advance though. The plan was to do it last year or this year... but covid....

On 2/11/2022 at 9:34 PM, madwx said:

Most of this thread has been either: talking about snowmobiling out west, reminiscing about past seasons, complaining about the lack of snow.   Really paints a grim picture of the current state of things

We just don't get enough snow for consistent snowmobiling in southern WI. Most years the trails around here are open less than 2 weeks, sometimes not at all. 

I much prefer to ride in the mountains vs trail riding. There's always enough snow in the mountains. Just sometimes its old snow vs fresh powder. 

On 2/10/2022 at 3:14 PM, Up_north_MI said:

From a NY snowmobiler and overall winter weather nerd I think that is totally awesome about your record keeping. Winters have been overall  crap in NY for quiet some time. Even places like Tug Hill and Old Forge have struggled in recent years.

1 hour ago, Up_north_MI said:

Hopefully it hits north of the bridge, that’s where I’ll be riding the rest of this winter, I’ve given up on the lower for this season. 

The UP  has no reason to complain this year, LES been great up there along with a couple synoptic events. Northern Lower needs some snow especially for the businesses and is more than due.  The past few years have been brutal, unless your a ski resort and can make it.