Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

2 hours ago, JC-CT said:

I'd be curious if anyone has taken a core. It's definitely possible that ratios were better further west of the big band.

I think they were worse back here, we had about 5 inches of packed arctic sand but it was surprisingly heavy to move. I bet it was 9 or 10 to 1....I don't think we even had any moderate snow but snow fell 20 hours

10 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I think they were worse back here, we had about 5 inches of packed arctic sand but it was surprisingly heavy to move. I bet it was 9 or 10 to 1....I don't think we even had any moderate snow but snow fell 20 hours

That dude in Coventry on twitter reported 25:1 ratios from 11am to 2pm.

1 hour ago, FXWX said:

This is what it looks like after clean up at 1,160 feet in far western Hartford County (about quarter mile from Litchfield County line) after ~10 inches of snow and frequent wind gusts above 35 mph.

PXL_20220130_182307791.jpg

PXL_20220130_182253417.jpg

PXL_20220130_182241651.jpg

Hence why saying Tolland County got less than a foot is foolish.

There was a mini death band down 91 for a few hours last night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, FXWX said:

This is what it looks like after clean up at 1,160 feet in far western Hartford County (about quarter mile from Litchfield County line) after ~10 inches of snow and frequent wind gusts above 35 mph.

PXL_20220130_182307791.jpg

PXL_20220130_182253417.jpg

PXL_20220130_182241651.jpg

Damn epic up there, I bet you had minimal snow melt from the earlier storms this season.  Looks like you got the 30" ENE jackpot.  Piles are solid here as we retained pack well too but only about half that after 10"... Just down the hill its much less impressive as they don't retain snowpack very well in the valley. 

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Thanks! Woodford is pretty much the snow capital of southern Vermont, so I would trust the measurements from there more than the ski areas.

The Woodford measurements are not totally accurate IMO. Little bit inflated I've noticed at times, even with it being a total weenie spot and probably the best in SVT. 

We talked about this I think in the ski thread last year or maybe the NNE thread, the spotter is a woman around 90 yrs old or older and who took over from her husband who passed away some time ago. Amazing dedication to be doing that at that age, but seem to be a few discrepancies that I have noticed and even Mitch too I think.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Historic lol…..weak NESIS score probably too…..garbage storm

Bitter comment. Garbage storm? If you are that emotional about who gets the most snow, then you should have grabbed a hotel on a line somewhere on a line from Newburyport to Boston to Taunton. Some of the best Winter conditions in years!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Here are my thoughts....I feel like some people in interior NE MA are measuring in drifts. I just drove down to my sister's, near the N Reading line in eastern Wilmington, and the avg depth was 10-11". My current average depth is 8-9", settled down from 10-11" last night.

I am confident that I had about 12" of total snowfall, and Wilmington had about 14", and really do not care to argue the point.

Will do a full post-storm write up later.

totally agree with you Ray.   Wakefield reported 22"   I'm about 2 miles from Quanapowitt and live on the Reading/N  Reading line.   I think we had 16-18" tops.   Definitely think people didn't measure properly. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Put enough salt on the roads?  My god,  our road is still snow covered.

They’ve dumped enough salt this month to start a beach. They are lunatics with salt because of the hills . Thankfully CT did away with sand crap 5 years ago. God did I hate that stuff. It’s a relatively shady neighborhood too. That one sunny area is at the very top of the hill . Probably the only area that gets direct sunlight in the afternoon. This was about 8:00 this morning after I did the driveway. 
O4kGffA.jpg