Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I am in Columbia definitely a subby zone. Interesting bands all around.  GON FTW

Well I'm not going to argue with an eyewitness. So Tolland/Vernon looked like a legit 14-15 new to you? That really is amazing. Totally under the radar, must have been low level stuff?

4 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

@40/70 Benchmarkin all seriousness...you might consider moving to a more favorable climatological spot. Our location between the ORH hills/Monads and coastal front is going to sit in the subby zone a lot. I know this is likely one of those "easier said than done" things, but if you're going to invest this much emotionally only to be consistently let down, then might want to change the situation. 

Well, I get that you are saying, but its usually not THIS bad....these past four seasons have been thing short of brutal. Again, I understand our area will seldom jackpot in the largest events, but there is a difference between not jackpotting and what has gone on these past 4 years....that has nothing to do with not sniffing climo snowfall since March 2018.

However, I will be moving back a bit closer to the coast in a 2-3 years....I am originally from Wilmington-

So BOS tied top one-day I gather ... for the 2-day which was only 0.2 higher this is where it fits into the list that was posted by sonebody (forget who now) that I copied from their source, and which needed editing as shown because they had come up with two entries for two storms that ran three days (a list of this kind should have only the storm's better two-day total, I think). 

Some hidden coding in the block copy has conveniently updated the rank numbers, my edit screen shows them as they had been before I inserted the new 6th place Blizzard of 2022. I cannot edit that without just typing it all over myself. 

And I cannot vouch for either the accuracy of this list or its acceptability as being "official" but for what it's worth ... 

1. Feb. 18, 2003: 27.6 inches
  2. Feb. 7, 1978: 27.1 inches
  3. April 1, 1997: 25.4 inches
  4. Feb. 9, 2013: 24.9 inches
  5. Jan. 27, 2015: 24.4 inches
  6. (new to list Jan 29, 2022 __ 23.8 inches)
  7. Feb. 17, 2003: 23.6 inches ****
  8. Jan. 23, 2005: 22.5 inches (should be 7th)
  9. Jan. 28, 2015: 22.3 inches ****
  10. 1Feb. 9, 2015: 22.2 inches (should be 8th)
  11. Jan. 21, 1978: 21.4 inches (should be 9th)

Dates shown are second of any two-day totals. 

(my edit to the above ...

**** are secondary reports of a storm in the list, and should not be in the list)

• Thanks 1

Ok so I drove down from Willimantic on 32 south to 395 and then through Waterford to E Lyme. I didn’t really see obviously higher amounts of snow until I got down to about exit 6 on 395. Beyond there I could tell there was more snow…. But it was not fantastically more, and glancing at the fields and drifts I could reason there was at around a foot of snow that fell…

But I’m very suspicious of these 15-20 inch totals being reported for the area. Either it was just my luck that the route was in a winding screw zone all the way to the coast, courtesy of HAARPA preventing snow on highways, or people were using some emotional rulers, the kind I started with before I went out and did field averages. 

That or the fields truly underrepresented what fell because the wind carries the snow off smaller fields into drifts when the topography is erratic. I don’t think there’s more than a foot out there in the areas I have passed in SE CT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’m still under 15” for the season.  :(

15 on the nose with this thing season to date...I really thought this year we would get back into a Miller A pattern with at least one gulf low origin that heads up the coast and puts down 10 to 20 region wide...these types of storms of yore can be found in KU Book and in many of Ludlum's records

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCHurricane said:

Will you be sending in a report? Around 16-17” here in Barnstable. That decent band between 4:30-5:30 seemed to curl over us which likely lead to an additional inch or two relative to you.

No, lol - because I don't feel confident in it. I had measurements all over the place, but the driveway this morning was between 13-15"..so assuming it settled at bit. 

Was helping out the inlaws in Centerville - they had a bit less than us. About 11-12" settled in their driveway but was also heavier in nature. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

No, lol - because I don't feel confident in it. I had measurements all over the place, but the driveway this morning was between 13-15"..so assuming it settled at bit. 

Was helping out the inlaws in Centerville - they had a bit less than us. About 11-12" settled in their driveway but was also heavier in nature. 

Good points, bottom fourth of snowpack was a pain to shovel. Told the story of our storm, wouldn’t doubt that settled a bit overnight. 

I’m curious who had the longest time frame with consistent blizzard conditions. I’m in Dennis. I would estimate we had blizzard conditions from 7am right through to almost 9pm. We had a lull in the snow for an hour or two but it was still a ground blizzard the whole time. 

Here are my thoughts....I feel like some people in interior NE MA are measuring in drifts. I just drove down to my sister's, near the N Reading line in eastern Wilmington, and the avg depth was 10-11". My current average depth is 8-9", settled down from 10-11" last night.

I am confident that I had about 12" of total snowfall, and Wilmington had about 14", and really do not care to argue the point.

Will do a full post-storm write up later.

• Like 2