Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

36 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s been my theme for over a decade now. I guess I should count Feb13, even though I wasn’t in town. So this area specifically has missed all timers to the east, south, west, and north by like 25miles 9yrs running now. 

Of course you should could Feb 13. Or would you count the snow you got on a trip to Aspen Colorado as a backyard hit?

2 minutes ago, das said:

The cold was indeed legit. Here in the Champlain Valley, we were a tad below (horizontal advection) ground blizzard criteria with 6 hours of steady north winds of 16-21mph with gusts between 24-31mph for the duration. There was only two hourly obs of snowfall for the entire storm (some lake-enhanced diamond dust) and the high was 1°F with a low of -8°F. I’m about 18mi south of Burlington. There were some vertical advection components to the storm here with numerous 100m snow devils, likely terrain and lake-enhanced induced since I am just southeast of the lake. 

NH won this round, VT. :) 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Rgem  fail

What a abysmal performance

I think RGEM was overall the worst performer this storm.

NAM takes the award for inconsistency. Thing was all over the place. Hell one run was OTC late in the game.

JMA award for most surprising performance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I think RGEM was overall the worst performer this storm.

NAM takes the award for inconsistency. Thing was all over the place. Hell one run was OTC late in the game.

JMA award for most surprising performance.

Ukie was the worst model

Gfs had the placement somewhat right but the precip output was wrong

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Most of the snow fell on 2 days....not exactly a snowy winter despite the total amount of snow.

If we want to see constant snow we have to move to the lakes. I average in NYC around 28 inches . I know Boston averages in the 40s but it doesn't snow there all the time.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’m still under 15” for the season.  :(

It’s not like I’m being screwed badly by the valley either. My friend in Heath, who sends reports to NWS regularly is at 1400’ and she only has 19” for the season. 
I’m not sure what Berkshire East season total is but it’s probably similar.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I guess that Sharon total could be legit with stoughton coming in similar 

I'm still not buying it. Canton reported 21, I used to live there before Walpole and we were always similar as Canton, Stoughton, and Sharon all border each other. 9 inches higher is so much more. Qunicy at 30, Canton 21, Sharon 30...it doesn't make sense. The band skipped over Canton?

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha we laugh but you know it happens.  Looking at nearby snowfall totals and then “estimating” a total.

I’ve actually got a BTV NWS employee living not too far away. I usually check their total in the PNS to make sure I’m not too far out of whack. I’m usually within half an inch or so. 

3 minutes ago, WalpoleJoe said:

I'm still not buying it. Canton reported 21, I used to live there before Walpole and we were always similar as Canton, Stoughton, and Sharon all border each other. 9 inches higher is so much more. Qunicy at 30, Canton 21, Sharon 30...it doesn't make sense. The band skipped over Canton?

Too much blowing and drifting. We're the reports all from trained spotters?

4 minutes ago, WalpoleJoe said:

I was in the heart of that band for pretty much the whole time and I had 31 and Norton as well and they had like 30… I’m pretty sure Sharon and probably Stoughton were at least fringed for some of that 

58 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You look in the PNS for your area to see what the others are around you, Then see your not at the top and magically you find a few more inches.

Nod.webp

I’ve noticed the same areas that are always near the top are always the last to report. Wonder why lol 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jm1220 said:

12-13” of snow where I am is not a fail by any means, and it looks like an all timer at Islip. Long Island had an awesome event. But have to wonder what would’ve been. The people who have to really complain are CT. Logan may have way jumped over Central Park because of the dumbbell!! (Who knows but something to think about) 

The only reason I am not too upset is because it was pretty well modeled that there was going to be a sharp cutoff west of SE CT. I was hoping for more but I kinda was expecting to only get the scraps, which is what ended up happening.

I believe this wound up vertically stacking in the central Gulf Of Maine and got down to 965. This ended up deeper and more west of yesterday’s guidance but east and weaker of the big runs being advertised the day before.

The big totals in Delaware, New Jersey and Long Island, indicates to me that the early H5 close off was real, but the surface kicked NE and didn’t stack until in the GOM. 

The spread out timing between closing off and capture lead to a broader circulation but a weaker storm (min surface pressure), but sig snows and wind over a larger area.

• Like 1