Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

Awesome storm

The Memento tattoos (add any thoughts, correct if wrong): trust nothing more than Euro and within-24hr-NAM. RGEM was terrible.

I thought winds were somewhat underwhelming, peak seemed around 18z... perhaps reflecting the extreme tilt of the system with the surface low so far east.  And that peak deepening was in morning hours. Nowhere close to Jan 2005 for Boston area which was virtually a white hurricane, dynamics unmatched since imo.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Did places in N RI and SE MA legit get 4 feet in 1978 or is that just urban legend?

Most maps I see from that are around 3 feet or so in the jackpot zones.

I was only 10 at the time but I would bet there were locations close to 48"    It was also dense stuff (Foxboro).  Took us forever to shovel our driveway (like days and days)    Similar deal with the Nat. Guard payloaders clearing our streets and making 2 story high piles.   Our VW microbus was completely buried (over the roof) due to drifting

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Awesome storm

The Memento tattoos (add any thoughts, correct if wrong): trust nothing more than Euro and within-24hr-NAM. RGEM was terrible.

I thought winds were somewhat underwhelming, peak seemed around 18z... perhaps reflecting the extreme tilt of the system with the surface low so far east.  And that peak deepening was in morning hours. Nowhere close to Jan 2005 for Boston area which was virtually a white hurricane, dynamics unmatched since imo.

HRRR and RAP did ok.

• Like 5

Just now, wxsniss said:

Awesome storm

Yeah that January 2005 storm was the closest to 78 and it still wasn’t quite there but almost. I remember the town of Barnstable had to remove cars from the road leading to Cape Cod hospital for the ambulance route with a front end loader. They literally picked peoples cars up and smashed them into the snow banks totaling a lot of them. They stopped plowing because even the plows were getting stuck. 

• Like 1

nice blizzard on the Cape. not historic though.

issues were:

1) losing 5-6" over night due to temps around 33°. needed better antecedent airmass

2) 700mb may have closed off too close to Cape. not sure if dual low situation had anything to do with that. Epic mainly bands situated in SE Mass / South Shore. they tickled my area in the afternoon but nowhere near the length of the jack zone

3) storm didn't capture and stall SE or ESE of Cape. OE enhancement  usually lasts longer with N or NNE winds vs NNW/NW winds with storm departing to the Northeast. see 05 or 15 where Cape cleaned up with CCB and OE enhancement 

otherwise, fun storm..maybe Top 10 or 12?

• Like 1

It's deep here. Saw the PNS reports. East Billerica close to me had 18.5 at 5:12 PM. That's right next to me. I agree with that observation. I haven't gone out since then to get an average butt it has been snowing light but persistently since then. Maybe squeezed about an inch or so since then. Who knows, way too drifty here. :snowman:

33 minutes ago, weathafella said:

BOS has >35 inches for January 

image.thumb.jpeg.71272527fdb47fc220ed8b68947a73c6.jpeg
One of the best winter months I’ve seen, up there with Jan 2011, Feb 2013, March 2018. Feb 2015 of course stands alone as the snowiest month ever recorded in Boston. Boston is only a few inches behind last years total for the entire winter, and we still have Feb and March.