Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

6 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

i couldnt agree more i was just out there for about an hour and a half and i think i have frost bite. Measuring is near impossible. The best reasonable estimate i have is 7" from measuring 6 to 8" in many spots that i considered to have "relatively low" drifting...

I'm fine with whole numbers in events like this, not super accurate but its really impossible. These were some of the strongest winds i've seen in a nor'easter here in quite a long time. Sustained at 15-25 and gusts to 30-40 the whole day. I can't even imagine what it looked like on the outer cape and the islands. ACK was sustained in the 40s most of the day with gusts to 70 with SN/+SN. That's a real blizzard.

Man, I was out in Boston with a buddy from like 9 to 4 with a couple stops in between, I'm still thawing out. My friend took a pic of me with Cantore though, and also it was 2 feet of hellacious snowfall, so it was worth it. But God, am I exhausted 

• Like 1

Just now, Henry's Weather said:

Man, I was out in Boston with a buddy from like 9 to 4 with a couple stops in between, I'm still thawing out. My friend took a pic of me with Cantore though, and also it was 2 feet of hellacious snowfall, so it was worth it. But God, am I exhausted 

Especially after 4 nights of 6 hours of sleep or less. This hobby is physically taxing lol

• Like 4

Just now, JC-CT said:

Nope. He said "yeah I have about the same" around 4pm to @metagraphica's 13" in Salem.

The dude has literally fallen off his rocker.

lol, well im just beginning to compile numbers but its going to take some time for PNS and CoCoRahs to update tomorrow morning. What was yours, 9" you said?

4 minutes ago, Jebman said:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Boston/Norton MA
340 PM EST Sat Jan 29 2022

MAZ007-015-016-019-022-023-300945-
/O.CON.KBOX.BZ.W.0001.000000T0000Z-220130T1000Z/
Eastern Essex MA-Suffolk MA-Eastern Norfolk MA-
Eastern Plymouth MA-Barnstable MA-Dukes MA-
Including the cities of Gloucester, Boston, Quincy, Plymouth,
Chatham, Falmouth, Provincetown, and Vineyard Haven
340 PM EST Sat Jan 29 2022

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions. Additional snow accumulations of 4
  to 7 inches. Winds gusting as high as 65 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of eastern, northeastern and southeastern
  Massachusetts.

* WHEN...Until 5 AM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Areas of blowing snow
  could significantly reduce visibility. Strong winds could cause
  tree damage.

WOW wow wow! You go out snow blow your driveway, have supper, go back out snow blow it all over again lol

Its not only that it's still snowing, it's blowing around,  did my drive and path for my dog and the path is half filled already, I'm just going to wait til morning to snow blow again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

lol, well im just beginning to compile numbers but its going to take some time for PNS and CoCoRahs to update tomorrow morning. What was yours, 9" you said?

yeah that's what I'm going with - like you said, I picked a round number. But it wasn't that inconsistent out in open space where you couldn't get a decent idea.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Once it finally stops accumulating tonight I’ll  get the total out . But man had it been ripping the last couple hours in most of our county. We all got lucky in this parting gift 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

are you using a venier caliper for measuring??

It's an average, you dolts. He explained that in his original post. This is almost as bad as the idiots who opine about how we can't know that the yearly average temperature for some location was 0.3F higher, cuz our thermometers only read in increments of 1F.

Sorry to pick you out, you were just one of several making this point.

OK, now I feel better.

If you want to make fun of him for significant digits, I'm with you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 4

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I only ended up with 7" but this was a 2X better storm than Jan 7th despite getting 11.1" that storm. Wind, cold, long duration, daytime, near blizzard conditions..its way more than just about the final number

just got a bit more than last week's here, so we had a glacier on the driveway as I was in Georgia for that one, so nearly a foot otg in spots here... but the driveway is a mess because I wasn't here for cleaning it, made clearing this one difficult

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was unsure of the 24”+ totals yesterday. Mid level low look was good, but wasn’t sure if we’d get that real stationary band like we saw. I thought maybe the forcing would be more transient and not as intense. Just goes to show you look out when they look good.

Mid levels looked so good for SE MA. I think the biggest issue the convection played was not throwing enough moisture west for the western folks. But the forcing on that main band just overwhelmed any issues there.

• Like 2