Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

19 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Next blower I get Im getting the heated grips, my hands were numb tonight snowblowing

i usually take the gloves off and stick them in front of exhaust for a few whenever hands get cold, it works man... fortunately I have military cold/wet gear, so the only thing that ever gets cold is fingers and that's what I do... I need to fix my ariens because my dad's dinosaur blower doesn't have independent rear wheel, fighting that thing every time I use it, but at least I got a blower, would suck to do my driveway and walks

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Next blower I get Im getting the heated grips, my hands were numb tonight snowblowing

They're awesome! I bought a Cub Cadet 3 X 26 3 years ago with heated grips. They're more than adequate. You feel the heat coming through your gloves even on a day like this! Don't know how old your machine is but you may be able to buy a set and add them. I know you can buy them for Cub Cadet machines that came without heated grips.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

@The 4 Seasonscalling it at 9" cause I'm not going back out there again and it's a PITA to measure anyway. The cold and wind is brutal. Should have worn gloves lol

i couldnt agree more i was just out there for about an hour and a half and i think i have frost bite. Measuring is near impossible. The best reasonable estimate i have is 7" from measuring 6 to 8" in many spots that i considered to have "relatively low" drifting...

I'm fine with whole numbers in events like this, not super accurate but its really impossible. These were some of the strongest winds i've seen in a nor'easter here in quite a long time. Sustained at 15-25 and gusts to 30-40 the whole day. I can't even imagine what it looked like on the outer cape and the islands. ACK was sustained in the 40s most of the day with gusts to 70 with SN/+SN. That's a real blizzard.

• Like 1

Just now, Vinny Findley said:

They're awesome! I bought a Cub Cadet 3 X 26 3 years ago with heated grips. They're more than adequate. You feel the heat coming through your gloves even on a day like this! Don't know how old your machine is but you may be able to buy a set and add them. I know you can buy them for Cub Cadet machines that came without heated grips.

Ill check it out, thanks

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

8.77”? Are you measuring rain?

You are rubbing salt into my wound. 

My observation of snowfall all night and day, the Models, the QPF, the DRIFTS.... all suggest we ought to have at least 15 inches.

The ground is erratic and lots of man made things like cars around. I went into the open fields nearby and took a measurement average. I suspected these fields are robbed of snow that ends up in drifts, but the strict rules mandated my action. After all, there are some parts of the fields with only a couple inches covering too in contrast to the 2-3 feet drifts. I know if there was no wind we would have much more.... But y'all still got much more anyway.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, radarman said:

Per WWLP... take it fwiw

• Chicopee: 11″
  • Monson: 10″
  • Belchertown: 8″
  • Hardwick: 8″
  • Palmer: 6″
  • Ludlow: 4.5″
  • Erving: 4″
  • Hampden: 4″
  • West Springfield: 4″
  • Wilbraham: 4″
  • Huntington: 3.75″
  • Agawam: 3.5″
  • Lenox: 3″
  • Worthington: 3″
  • Westhampton: 2″

That Chicopee measurement is a little suspect.  Rest sound about right. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

As of 530...15 inches in Methuen

Well over a foot here. Like I said to you earlier, get 3 more or so fluffy inches and there on out you'll have the lower end of the scale of the 18-24" and upper end of the 12-18". Ray should feel good about that.:snowing:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IowaStorm05 said:

My observation of snowfall all night and day, the Models, the QPF, the DRIFTS.... all suggest we ought to have at least 15 inches.

The ground is erratic and lots of man made things like cars around. I went into the open fields nearby and took a measurement average. I suspected these fields are robbed of snow that ends up in drifts, but the strict rules mandated my action. After all, there are some parts of the fields with only a couple inches covering too in contrast to the 2-3 feet drifts.

You can’t get that precise to the nearest hundredth. That’s all I mean. I wasn’t making fun of snow amounts. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Boston/Norton MA
340 PM EST Sat Jan 29 2022

MAZ007-015-016-019-022-023-300945-
/O.CON.KBOX.BZ.W.0001.000000T0000Z-220130T1000Z/
Eastern Essex MA-Suffolk MA-Eastern Norfolk MA-
Eastern Plymouth MA-Barnstable MA-Dukes MA-
Including the cities of Gloucester, Boston, Quincy, Plymouth,
Chatham, Falmouth, Provincetown, and Vineyard Haven

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions. Additional snow accumulations of 4
  to 7 inches. Winds gusting as high as 65 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of eastern, northeastern and southeastern
  Massachusetts.

* WHEN...Until 5 AM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Areas of blowing snow
  could significantly reduce visibility. Strong winds could cause
  tree damage.

WOW wow wow! You go out snowblow your driveway, have supper, go back out snow blow it all over again lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

The ground is erratic and lots of man made things like cars around. I went into the open fields nearby and took a measurement average. I suspected these fields are robbed of snow that ends up in drifts, but the strict rules mandated my action. After all, there are some parts of the fields with only a couple inches covering too in contrast to the 2-3 feet drifts. I know if there was no wind we would have much more.... But y'all still got much more anyway.

9" seems fine bro. The best banding was centered 15 miles to your east, and apparently also 15 miles to your northwest.

2 minutes ago, Greg said:

Well over a foot here. Like I said to you earlier, get 3 more or so fluffy inches and there on out you'll have the lower end of the scale of the 18-24" and upper end of the 12-18". Ray should feel good about that.:snowing:

Is Ray still sleeping? haven't heard from him in awhile, I bet he did ok.

1 minute ago, Jebman said:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Boston/Norton MA

MAZ007-015-016-019-022-023-300945-
/O.CON.KBOX.BZ.W.0001.000000T0000Z-220130T1000Z/
Eastern Essex MA-Suffolk MA-Eastern Norfolk MA-
Eastern Plymouth MA-Barnstable MA-Dukes MA-
Including the cities of Gloucester, Boston, Quincy, Plymouth,
Chatham, Falmouth, Provincetown, and Vineyard Haven

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions. Additional snow accumulations of 4
  to 7 inches. Winds gusting as high as 65 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of eastern, northeastern and southeastern
  Massachusetts.

* WHEN...Until 5 AM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Areas of blowing snow
  could significantly reduce visibility. Strong winds could cause
  tree damage.

WOW wow wow!

4 hours ago

33 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Other than the carb issue I had a few weeks ago, I love it. No heated grips for me, but the power steering is a nice addition so you don’t have to wrestle with it 

You can add the heated hand grips. Last time I looked when I bought mine it was $79 or $89 dollars. Mine came with them. Was looking for a friend when I bought mine. Just looked now. $153.59. Outrageous!!!