Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

27 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dude .. you cannot measure snowdrifts . How about on the sheltered side of the building(s)? Where the wind was blocked 

I went out to a large field and once I got into the flat open area, I took several measurements and divided the total by the number of measurements I took 

It averaged out to 7.8333333 inches of snow.

I stuck the ruler into numerous spots while trying to get a good amount of evenness in the variations.

The wind must do something bad to the snow, or snow growth because for how low this total is. It just seems like such a low amount for how good it snowed and how long it snowed. QPF predictions, snow ratios, radar, personal desire and visual observation all coerce me into a hunch that this is just wrong. To say nothing of all the Flat looking 9-12 inch gulfs between cars and in empty spots.

Heh, at least it hasn't stopped snowing yet, but it was getting dark and unless I get surprised I doubt we will get more than 1/2 or so more. 

It has been a long time since I had to measure as badly mangled snowfall as this.

2 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

The wind must do something bad to the snow, or snow growth because for how low this total is. It just seems like such a low amount for how good it snowed and how long it snowed

If it is any consolation, I was thinking this too.  I feel like I saw way more snow fall than what verified on the ground.  

14 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Ha as usual my yard has the lowest amount.

Bridgeport town just SE 10

Fairfield town just south 9

Trumbull town just to east 7 a while ago.

Heck Stamford on NYK boarder 7.

Somehow my yard is cursed WRT snow depth.

Yea man we have a foot easy here in Black Rock. I think those totals in Fairfield and BPT are from this morning. I just got home, highest amounts I saw are here, very tight gradient NW of Fairfield 

Just now, 203whiteout said:

Yea man we have a foot easy here in Black Rock. I think those totals in Fairfield and BPT are from this morning. I just got home, highest amounts I saw are here, very tight gradient NW of Fairfield 

That's just south of me jeeeeez.

My amount HAS to be wrong.

Anyone else on from Easton??

7 minutes ago, wx_observer said:

If it is any consolation, I was thinking this too.  I feel like I saw way more snow fall than what verified on the ground.  

And I dont think people here understood my thinking either. I get it that you dont stick a ruler in a 3 foot drift and add it to the rest of your flat measurements I am not stupid. I was trying to convey that before I went into the field, what I was working with was an area that under no uncertain terms had no surface area that was not severely altered by the wind and drifting. I was dealing with the realization I needed to account for ALL the snow that fell, however that might be done before I remembered the ball field was there. I have not had this kind of snowstorm living in this spot.

So I just got back from the gym ...

Holy hell!!

Took almost 20 min to got 1.5 mi.

Snow stepped up, while there, worst of the whole storm ( Ayer )..  We got est 3" in just a little over an hr, and it still snowing hard.  I thought by rad trends and out of doors it was tapering off. Jesus Christ.  1/10th of mi vis stuff. 

Est now I got close to 10 or 11" out of this

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Holy hell!!

Snow stepped up, while there, worst of the whole storm ( Ayer )..  We got est 3" in just a little over an hr, and it still snowing hard.  It thought by rad trends and out of doors it was tapering off. Jesus Christ.  1/10th of mi vis stuff. 

Check radar I just posted above. You’re in that intense mesoband now. 

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Holy hell!!

Snow stepped up, while there, worst of the whole storm ( Ayer )..  We got est 3" in just a little over an hr, and it still snowing hard.  It thought by rad trends and out of doors it was tapering off. Jesus Christ.  1/10th of mi vis stuff. 

Just got back from the local Asian market. Agreed. Got an inch in 20 minutes.