Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28/29 Blizzard Observations/Discussion/Nowcasting

Northof78

20 hours ago, jamesny said:

I’m in Levittown and measured anywhere between 15”-18” where I was able to avoid the big drifts. The 19.2” sounds kinda high still, but don’t think it was too far from reality. We had some legit bands all night and morning.

My parents out in Dix Hills measured less around 14”, which kinda surprises me.

Lot sizes.  Much higher percentage of rooftop snow on the lawn with a 60x100 lot than an acre lot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, psv88 said:

Just drove around western Suffolk. The difference between Huntington and Melville and Dix hills and commack is pretty substantial. Once you hit exit 42 on the northern amounts really go up. Looked like a solid 4-5” inches more in commack than Huntington. I could definitely see Huntington only getting 12’” or so. 

wow so that was because of subsidence from being between bands?

8 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Yes. I run snow removal for a famous college on the uws and have been outside in and among every storm for the last decade. This was a 10” storm. I think it’s more of a psychological issue that the park didn’t record double digits. But as far as impact (drifts, road conditions and lasting power) this storm is pretty much a mirror image of 1/15. 

I walked around the quad of a very famous college on the West side late this afternoon - and if those nearly dry, spotless sidewalks are your handiwork, then a tip of the hat to you, good sir...

I also walked in some fresh powder in sheltered areas of Riverside... and I'm more open to the idea that it could have been 9-10" ;)

21 hours ago, hooralph said:

I walked around the quad of a very famous college on the West side late this afternoon - and if those nearly dry, spotless sidewalks are your handiwork, then a tip of the hat to you, good sir...

I also walked in some fresh powder in sheltered areas of Riverside... and I'm more open to the idea that it could have been 9-10" ;)

There's a higher than normal number of people dying of heart attacks from shoveling and doctors think it might be pandemic related....if people dont want to shovel I dont blame them.

On 1/30/2022 at 2:22 PM, psv88 said:

Just drove around western Suffolk. The difference between Huntington and Melville and Dix hills and commack is pretty substantial. Once you hit exit 42 on the northern amounts really go up. Looked like a solid 4-5” inches more in commack than Huntington. I could definitely see Huntington only getting 12’” or so. 

I just drove up Rt 231 from Babylon to Jericho Tpke and Sunrise Highway east from Wantagh. The whole area from Seaford to Babylon to around the LIE got slammed. I definitely believe the 20+ totals there. Amounts decreased a little in Dix Hills and a little more by the time you get to my house. It looks almost dead on like after the 2/1 storm last year which was 15” for me, so that’s probably what I got this time here. Looks a little more overall than Long Beach has but there was a lot more drifting there. Some lawns there are bare, some clogged in snow so I think 12” for Long Beach is good. 

Tomorrow I’ll drive down Vets Highway past MacArthur to Patchogue and really salivate. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Jan 2015 didn't Orient get 30"?

I think Islip or somewhere else nearby got 25" then too.

Yeah the snow maps are nearly identical with this one and Jan 2015, this one was a little farther west I think with the heavy stuff and overall it was probably more enjoyable for most of us because expectations were not for at least 2 ft lol

• Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 6:20 PM, jm1220 said:

I just drove up Rt 231 from Babylon to Jericho Tpke and Sunrise Highway east from Wantagh. The whole area from Seaford to Babylon to around the LIE got slammed. I definitely believe the 20+ totals there. Amounts decreased a little in Dix Hills and a little more by the time you get to my house. It looks almost dead on like after the 2/1 storm last year which was 15” for me, so that’s probably what I got this time here. Looks a little more overall than Long Beach has but there was a lot more drifting there. Some lawns there are bare, some clogged in snow so I think 12” for Long Beach is good. 

Tomorrow I’ll drive down Vets Highway past MacArthur to Patchogue and really salivate. 

Pretty significant melt today over here.  

On 1/30/2022 at 2:06 PM, Intensewind002 said:

This map does a poor job of southeast and central east Orange County. Trained spotters in Monroe reported 6 inches Greenwood lake 6.9 and highland Mills 8.4. I live in highland Mills and measured 9 inches. I thought I was wrong until I saw the reports. I’m not sure what happened in that line but I witnessed it and just figured we were over performing in most of Orange County and not just a localized 5-10 mile stretch. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 6:20 PM, jm1220 said:

you must've been in a local screw zone in Long Beach, most of us in SW Nassau got well over a foot to around 15 inches