Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 28/29 Blizzard Observations/Discussion/Nowcasting

Northof78

3 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Legitimate or just because they didn't bother to measure properly (or at all) like so many other storms over the last 50 years?

their storm total should be 8.7 as of 1pm as they reported 7.5 at 1pm and had 1.2 yesterday.  The 420 climate report though has 7.3 which makes no sense...should be about 8-8.2 for today as both LGA and JFK added around 0.5-1.0 from their 1pm total

3 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

Finished with 15-16" here in Toms River. Looks like IBSP won for highest totals in NJ with 21"

My parents live in Seaside Park; my dad measured a 38 inch snow drift on their porch lol. They definitely got very near that amount being right above IBSP. 

I'm in TR also and have about the same. Tough to measure this. 

28 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

What a storm. Rode it out in Central CT with my parents so we can take my son to Mohawk Mountain tomorrow to get him on skis. He is 3 and loving the snow. Great storm and nobody tainted! Downright cold now!

will be busy there tomorrow with the "backyard snow effect"  (snow at the coast everyone goes) We were there MLK day-good conditions and mostly open now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

will be busy there tomorrow with the "backyard snow effect"  (snow at the coast everyone goes) We were there MLK day-good conditions and mostly open now.

Yeah it is already insane. I wanted to go to Ski Sundown to teach my son since I learned there but they sold out on Thursday for Sunday lift tickets. I expect tomorrow to be very busy at Mohawk with this Aspen-like powder. Hopefully my son loves it. We played all day, so I have a feeling he will have a great day. Loved ice skating last weekend!

38 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

their storm total should be 8.7 as of 1pm as they reported 7.5 at 1pm and had 1.2 yesterday.  The 420 climate report though has 7.3 which makes no sense...should be about 8-8.2 for today as both LGA and JFK added around 0.5-1.0 from their 1pm total

7.5 storm total(not daily)as of 1pm including the 1.2 from yesterday. So 7.3 today and 1.2 yesterday makes 8.5 total for the storm. 

1 hour ago, Eduardo said:

Nice respectable MECS here in NYC, but the pics my parents are sending me from their house in Lindenhurst (SW Suffolk) are reminiscent of 2016. What a walloping out on LI!

Absolutely. And when does that area ever get near jackpot totals? 

I have no idea what I ended up with really in Long Beach due to all the drifting. I'm estimating 12-13" but it's really a guess. My place in Huntington Station was probably 16". Nice sunset! 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Negnao said:

7.5 storm total(not daily)as of 1pm including the 1.2 from yesterday. So 7.3 today and 1.2 yesterday makes 8.5 total for the storm. 

It still sounds a little light. Thought they were in the 10-11 inch range from what I saw from Central Park. Who even takes the measurements there now? Did they take it from The Conservancy? They weren’t perfect but certainly a lot better than the zookeeper before them. 

3 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Upon further review (clearing the driveway). I think this was closer to 20" here then 18". Had around 18" in Jan 96. This was more than that, no question. Had 2' in 2015. This was less than that. So 20" seems pretty close to me actually. Never be totally sure of course. 

Still snowing there? 

10 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

It still sounds a little light. Thought they were in the 10-11 inch range from what I saw from Central Park. Who even takes the measurements there now? Did they take it from The Conservancy? They weren’t perfect but certainly a lot better than the zookeeper before them. 

I have been measuring almost every storm the last decade on the uws while doing snow removal and this was a solid 10+. All day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Upon further review (clearing the driveway). I think this was closer to 20" here then 18". Had around 18" in Jan 96. This was more than that, no question. Had 2' in 2015. This was less than that. So 20" seems pretty close to me actually. Never be totally sure of course. 

Nice! Congrats. Very rare that your area does so well in these storms. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yes they did-the convection really did mess the storm up somewhat. 

Location dependent? Or could this have been the Sandy of blizzards if we had one consolidated low? But wouldn’t that have skunked half of our viewing audience?

16 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Nice! Congrats. Very rare that your area does so well in these storms. 

We get them occasionally. Much more so in recent years though for sure. December 2009 still stands at the top of the list for me personally. That was over 2' here. This one was awesome though, no doubt. Following the models trying to figure it out was wild too. 

23 minutes ago, Rmine1 said:

Location dependent? Or could this have been the Sandy of blizzards if we had one consolidated low? But wouldn’t that have skunked half of our viewing audience?

It would’ve helped NYC and NJ most likely and the upper lows developing better would’ve pushed the heavy snow further west. 

• Like 2