Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28/29 Blizzard Observations/Discussion/Nowcasting

Northof78

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Damn. The South Shore from Bellmore east will likely all finish with 20+. That area going to town again. I’m probably moderate intensity again, hopefully I can get one more heavy burst. 

I’m right on SS in Brightwaters, and it’s gotta be 20+ already and it’s still cranking 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

Light snow in Wading River, temp has dropped to 14F --- was 29F at midnight.   That would have been the story - although i'm glad we got the snow to go with it.

Yeah..snow seems to be letting up somewhat..approaching 18" on snow stakes..16°..wind is ferocious..

getting to old for this!!

Just now, psv88 said:

SW Suffolk has been getting pounded for hours. Could be some 2 foot totals down there. Light to moderate snow north of there. Models picked up on this very well, south shore always progged to clean up. 

It’s been non stop, and I think we’re at, or very close to that. But truth be told, I’m a bit of a simpleton so what do I know. Lol

1 minute ago, shadowsintherain said:

Band over southern LI is building again. Crazy. We will easily break 20”. 

787A95A2-C4F8-41EB-987C-F22AA3268B7C.png

Those darker blues along SS are interesting. Heaviest snow right now since I’ve been up

32 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Long Beach. Basically I’m free snow shoveling labor for my mother. :lol: 

Snow picking back up, one last hurrah maybe. Hopefully we can get another inch. 

What are you measuring there? A bunch of friends wanted an exact forecast for Long Beach and I sarcastically said 11.6. Would love to be right lol

4 minutes ago, psv88 said:

SW Suffolk has been getting pounded for hours. Could be some 2 foot totals down there. Light to moderate snow north of there. Models picked up on this very well, south shore always progged to clean up. 

I finished my first round of shoveling about an hour ago and there are 3’+ drifts, easily. There’s gotta be at least 18” right now and the wind is just whipping around in every direction. Obviously, mostly north and east winds, but it whips around and powder right in your eyes, not fun. Enjoying a strong adult beverage right now before I rustle up the courage to go back out there before dark.  

Just now, tdp146 said:

What are you measuring there? A bunch of friends wanted an exact forecast for Long Beach and I sarcastically said 11.6. Would love to be right lol

If I had to make a wild guess I’d say 12-13”. But the front of the house has little snow from blowing and the back has drifts a few feet tall or more. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, guinness77 said:

I finished my first round of shoveling about an hour ago and there are 3’+ drifts, easily. There’s gotta be at least 18” right now and the wind is just whipping around in every direction. Obviously, mostly north and east winds, but it whips around and powder right in your eyes, not fun. Enjoying a strong adult beverage right now before I rustle up the courage to go back out there before dark.  

Ugh. While I love historic snowstorms, the clean up I do not. Congrats on a great storm, but seeing as a leaf blower was the extent of my snow removal this morning, I'm now kind of glad I didn't get more...

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rmine1 said:

Can someone smarter than me, basically anyone on this board explain what appears to be enhanced snowfall rates as precip crosses the island.

DBC7D8BF-A723-4BAC-8816-1CA6B9EAAB44.jpeg

The sound is helping enhance the snow. Essentially-fast winds over the sound with little friction meets land with more friction, air has to slow down and rise. And it adds a little moisture as well. 

• Like 2