Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 28/29 Blizzard Observations/Discussion/Nowcasting

Northof78

32 minutes ago, lee59 said:

This  storm definitely has one thing most ,if not all, the other heavy snowstorms have not had, the frigid temperatures. The snow is just blowing all over. 14 degrees and falling all morning.

Reminds me of lake effect snow when I was in college. Was my introduction to light powdery snow and how easy it can stack up..also how much easier it is to deal with that the usual wet heavy stuff

14 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Still coming down quite a bit by Somerset. Ratios must be quite high now. 18F

Not seeing much accumulation in areas I've cleaned and that was 2 hours ago. Too much wind and not enough heavier bands. Think we top out around 6-8 as someone else here mentioned. Really surprised at how well some northern areas did; they weren't far from our numbers. So a widespread impact storm, even though our impact was light, compared to the disaster areas that are happening elsewhere; and make no mistake, 2 feet of snow will qualify for some sort of disaster aid. Insurance companies must be hating the weather these days....

38 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

From Twitter:

JsFIhxx9_normal.jpg

Ok, that's enough now. Please stop. Yes, the nor'easter 'spawned' another disturbance offshore that's reinforcing some of the snow. (It won't until 3PM - then blowing snow and bitter cold).

That new low is forming under the upper level low. 
I know it isn't this forum, but downeast Maine is going to get crushed by this system.

That little band over sw suffolk looks good. Pummeling west Babylon lindenhurst area
I dug out thinking the worst was over... Now with this and the winds... I'll need to dig out again...

Looks like 15" from eye balling it here in West Islip... SW Suffolk... Not the 20 as in Islip... but I think we will make a run at 18" before all is said and done...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Wannabehippie said:

That new low is forming under the upper level low. 
I know it isn't this forum, but downeast Maine is going to get crushed by this system.

Got a BIL there. He is evil when it comes to snow. Hates the stuff, but loves ME. He's got a plow and a tractor with a snowblower attached. And is in the country. So he will be alright. They killed the chickens before the storm. Soup.

3 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Well, we got some light to moderate snow the past 2 hours and we're now up to 6.25", which is a nice storm, but very likely will fall a bit short of my 8.25" prediction. Part of that is because the NWS predicted 14:1 ratios, so I kind of figured that in, but DonCat in Staten Island reported a 12:1 ratio - if it had been 14:1, I'd be at 7.3" now. No biggie, just interesting to observe. It's still snowing and the radar looks like we might have another hour or two with a shot at a heavier band as the storm pivots and starts heading ENE. For hours I've been watching heavy bands about 10-15 miles east of me falling apart as they move west, but maybe we'll still get one. Oh well, still a fun storm. 20F.

Took a much needed nap and did some shoveling and walking around and as of 12:00 pm, we have 7.25" here in Metuchen, which was very, very hard to measure with the windblown snow, so it was probably an average of at least 20 measurements around the yard (the snowboard measurement seemed a touch high to me at 7.6") which is close to my 8.25" prediction - wasn't sure we'd get that close a few hours ago, but the mostly light snow still delivered 1/3" per hour for the last 3 hours.  19F now.

Debating what to do with the 1/4" I got yesterday in the late morning - have seen some saying to include it - if so, I got 7.5".  I'm inclined to not include it, as it was from the front/clipper and we had many hours of no snow after that.  Don't think we'll get more than another 1/4", looking at the radar.  7.25" seems consistent with numbers I've seen reported near me in Middelsex County here and elsewhere, such as 8.5" in Carteret, 7" in P'way, 8" in Woodbridge, 8.5" in Staten Island, and 7.5" in New Brunswick.  Haven't seen any reports from Edison/Metuchen, though.  Anyone?

1 minute ago, Dark Star said:

I was surprised to measure 6" (unofficially) in Garwood (central Union County NJ).  It didn't look like that much.

it's hard to measure and I may even have more than 6, but with the blowing around and small flakes. And that 6 all probably fell overnight. Daytime production in our areas has been pitiful. But there were plenty of models that showed about this much for us, some less, and more than a few showed a lot more. I will say that it was not as bad as the shutout of 2/6/10, because we do have plowable snow. It's more like Jan 2015 or Feb 2013 ( in that one we weren't expecting it so it was all gravy IIRC ).