Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 28/29 Blizzard Observations/Discussion/Nowcasting

Northof78

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Very cold storm, I think 7-8" near New Brunswick seems reasonable

I don't see how we get there, really. Is it doing much by you ? It's really anemic here in Woodbridge. Visibility is good. Just went to Shop Rite. People are out shopping. Gotta be careful but not really a big deal here. Great for the snow plow contractors. Haven't seen a municipal plow yet today.

12 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

We definitely have quite a bit more than 4 considering the size of the drifts. At least 6. Measuring is very difficult obviously. I actually have us close to 7 now but it's tough to be exact. RU848789 is in Metuchen (not too far away) and he is excellent at measuring, and reported 6 and a quarter inches a couple hours ago. So I think I'm pretty close with the near 7 measurement I had a little while ago. Too bad we missed the much bigger amounts, but this is still a very nice warning level storm for our area. We have a couple more hours of snow to go too.

It's a decent event for the area, no question. But just couldn't get those sick bands to back over us. A couple hours of that and we'd have been in the 12 range. As it is it seemed to peter out around 6 am and never really got going again. The wind is also beating up the dendrites no?

1 hour ago, ForestHillWx said:

Getting a decent push now in western north Jersey, nothing close to out East but we never were expecting all that much

I think parts of NNJ did better than I expected, while in my area we did a little worse; but it wasn't really a bust as we were never expected to get giant amounts, though 8-10 was on the table. A little jog west of those bands would have done it.

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

I think parts of NNJ did better than I expected, while in my area we did a little worse; but it wasn't really a bust as we were never expected to get giant amounts, though 8-10 was on the table. A little jog west of those bands would have done it.

Yup.  Models honed in on a sharp cut off and wall last 24-36 hours before onset.  Nice prolonged light to moderate snow event with some wind for us nonetheless but this one had looks of eastern areas special written on it for a few days.

We will have to wait and be patient for our next MECS/HECS here.

• Like 1