Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 28/29 Blizzard Observations/Discussion/Nowcasting

Northof78

50 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Just went for a nice walk - it's spectacular out there - gorgeous dendrites sparkling under the lights outside! We're up to 1.5" as of 10:35, so 1/2" the last hour and well ahead of scheudule (1" by 1 am predicted by the NWS). Temp down to 30F. Radar looking good and finally looking good for our friends out in Hunterdon/Mercer/Somerset Counties, finally.  Started to get excited about this overperforming here. 

As of 11:30 pm, up to 1.8", but only 0.3" the last hour, as the intensity let up some. Down to 29F. Radar looks like some heavier bands are en route.

Smithtown, NY Midnight (12am 1/29)

28°, moderate snow, Viz ~ 3/8 mile, Can hear the wind gusts through the trees from inside.

2.4" storm total.

Averaging from 3 boards. 

Liking what I am seeing on radar and out the window...this has been more fun since I stopped looking at models.  I'm thinking it even looks kind of promising for the HV, especially east of the river but possibly west too...unless that is going to get eroded by dry air.

Gonna turn in soon and get a few hours (if I can sleep). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Smithtown, NY Midnight (12am 1/29)

28°, moderate snow, Viz ~ 3/8 mile, Can hear the wind gusts through the trees from inside.

2.4" storm total.

Averaging from 3 boards. 

Liking what I am seeing on radar and out the window...this has been more fun since I stopped looking at models.  I'm thinking it even looks kind of promising for the HV, especially east of the river but possibly west too...unless that is going to get eroded by dry air.

Gonna turn in soon and get a few hours (if I can sleep). 

Precip still expanding nw a bit..echos now in ne pa. The hv is still gonna get some decent snow from this imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

As of 11:30 pm, up to 1.8", but only 0.3" the last hour, as the intensity let up some. Down to 29F. Radar looks like some heavier bands are en route.

As of 12:30 am, we're up to 2.25", for almost 1/2" the past hour and just in the last few minutes it started really picking up in intensity and I see the radar finally showing over 20 dBZ. Maybe we can get into 1" per hour rates, being not too far from the SPC's mesoscale discussion about 1-3" per hour rates through much of SNJ and the coast for the next few hours. 28F.