Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-29 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Obs/Discussion

mappy

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

When the snow looks like fog you know you're gettin' blitzed, lol

My absolute favorite part of skiing backcountry during a storm cycle in the rockies... Just hiking in snow fog is otherworldly. It's where cold smoke term was born. Literally looked like a forest fire was in process and only happens when it's really cold. When you decend in that type of snow it looks like a smoke cloud chasing you the whole way. Oh man do I miss it but there is no end to the means meaning no matter how many times you get lucky to experience it, it will always leave you chasing more and a bit sad when it shuts off

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

My absolute favorite part of skiing backcountry during a storm cycle in the rockies... Just hiking in snow fog is otherworldly. It's where cold smoke term was born. Literally looked like a forest fire was in process and only happens when it's really cold. When you decend in that type of snow it looks like a smoke cloud chasing you the whole way. Oh man do I miss it but there is no end to the means meaning no matter how many times you get lucky to experience it, it will always leave you chasing more and a bit sad when it shuts off

Indeed, it's an awesome experience.  Hard to describe.  Can be a bit eery too for those who aren't die-hards and/or equipped for it (mentally and with the right gear).  Been in a true white out once when I couldn't even see my ski tips (you've probably experienced the same).  Didn't know I had vertigo and was falling over until my head hit the slope.  

11 hours ago, PhineasC said:

LOL just realized coastal DE has a blizzard warning for 10-18? Looks like 2" on my cams. Bust.

This storm will go down as the most overhyped thing in a while. It's flying and headed well OTS.

My house in Rehoboth has 12 inches but whatever. Carry on 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Ji said:
3 hours ago, CAPE said:
Obligatory cabin in the snow pic. [mention=3516]nj2va[/mention]

cabin.thumb.jpg.960d30a642d87245af565a643b6a9a30.jpg

Lol is that a vacation home or where you live? Did you get the 8.3 the model showed you?

It's my house but it really is a perfect vacation home. I will probably market it  as a retreat/hunting cabin when I go to sell it. 

Guidance ran the gamut here and the 18z GFS was the worst-still showing 10". Most other guidance had backed off to the 5-8" range. Ended up just short of 6". It played out just like I thought. These late developing scrapers will almost always give me some decent snow, but the best always stays east.

The GFS love will maybe back off a bit as it was terrible with this event- way too far east for many runs then incrementally went west and ended up with more snow too far inland, as all other guidance corrected the other way.

• Like 2

Well, because we did end up getting around two inches or a bit more up where I live last night, I got a bright idea. Our roads are always snow covered longer than most after it snows, so what better to do than try taking my two year old daughters sled for a ride. 

Let’s just say it was probably a near quarter mile ride that took 2/3 minutes and I was flying down the road. Video footage was obtained. My wife didn’t realize I was serious when I told her so she drove me back to the top and watched… safe to say she needed a ride after seeing that. 

@nw baltimore wx and I hadn’t even been drinking beers

• Haha 4