Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 28-29 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Obs/Discussion

mappy

39 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Thanks! It was super peaceful last night watching it fall while I hung out with my wife and her family. Fire was roaring and good conversation. It was really all I was asking for. I'll see more big snowstorms in my lifetime, no doubt :)

That’s the spirit, we need to do a forum snow chase next winter season.

• Like 1

Lightly snowed for hours and hours.  Interesting accumulation pattern.  Perhaps an inch on the favored spots like patio furniture, less on bare hard surfaces.   However, on top of the snow (ice) pack it might be 2".  The ice pack was so cold, I guess, that every flake stuck, while all the other surfaces took longer to cave.  Not sure how to record this one.

Surprisingly still lightly snowing here.

• Like 4

Ended up with 1.2” on 0.14” precip.  So, the temps didn’t hurt as much as the dud precip totals.  

It will be interesting to see the final totals for the three places that I had targeted (however imaginary) as a chase:  Worchester, Riverhead (eastern LI), and Atlantic City.  All of them are looking pretty good, especially LI.

• Like 4

Don't recall a "snow" event where it snowed for over 8 hours and only accumulated 1/2".  At times the number of flakes gave the idea they'd amount to something, but they were so small they just had no substance.  Looks nice outside this morning, and am fortunate to have something white and not rain.  

Looking at the ratio of salt and brine applied by VDOT to total accumulation, this one may be in the record books.  VDOT actually plowed the road in front of our house last night with a plow train of 3 trucks - when it was merely wet.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Lightly snowed for hours and hours.  Interesting accumulation pattern.  Perhaps an inch on the favored spots like patio furniture, less on bare hard surfaces.   However, on top of the snow (ice) pack it might be 2".  The ice pack was so cold, I guess, that every flake stuck, while all the other surfaces took longer to cave.  Not sure how to record this one.

Surprisingly still lightly snowing here.

I noticed that also. Probably over an inch on my remaining snow pack. About a half an inch on my deck and basically nothing on paved surfaces.

Just now, RevWarReenactor said:

I’d estimate we got about 6 inches here in Newark Delaware. Super happy to finally get a legit storm here. First one since 2018. I missed or was buckle and dined on all others. I almost forgot what this looks like imby.

9936E324-B21F-4AF5-B13C-D475B523A7B2.jpeg

The storm that had no chance. Imagine that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, RDM said:

Don't recall a "snow" event where it snowed for over 8 hours and only accumulated 1/2".  At times the number of flakes gave the idea they'd amount to something, but they were so small they just had no substance.  Looks nice outside this morning, and am fortunate to have something white and not rain.  

Looking at the ratio of salt and brine applied by VDOT to total accumulation, this one may be in the record books.  VDOT actually plowed the road in front of our house last night with a plow train of 3 trucks - when it was merely wet.  

12/26/10

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, lpaschall said:

I am on 94th now at friends but my place is at the end of Jamestown rd.

Haha. My place is on Mooring off of 94th. So I can follow your progress. Here in Winchester I have a little over 2 inches. I don't think the flurries have stopped falling since around noon yesterday. So that gives you an idea how light it was overnight. 

My parents in Dewey are doing really well though. Here's their backyard right now and it's still pouring. Glad most got a taste of some snow at least.

IMG_0240.jpg

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, RDM said:

16 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I noticed that also. Probably over an inch on my remaining snow pack. About a half an inch on my deck and basically nothing on paved surfaces.

Same here. Light snow for about 5 hours yesterday with hardly anything to show for it. Then it switched to sprinkles for about two hours before going back to snow after 6 pm and finally accumulating a bit (0.4, lol) but the roads and hard surfaces had a tough time even then with 'stickage'. 

16 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

about one inch here in Monkton. everything pretty. headed out w/ pup to the NCR trail for a walk.

Still looking for a legit good snow up here though this winter. We are overdue. 

Measured .75” here this am. So with yesterdays .5”, a whopping 1.25” total 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Ended up with 1.2” on 0.14” precip.  So, the temps didn’t hurt as much as the dud precip totals.  

It will be interesting to see the final totals for the three places that I had targeted (however imaginary) as a chase:  Worchester, Riverhead (eastern LI), and Atlantic City.  All of them are looking pretty good, especially LI.

Yup, it was the lack of precip that hurt us. Even with the crappy snow crystal growth and marginal temps in the afternoon and evening. We all knew there could be banding yesterday evening but we often forget that areas outside the band can suffer significantly. Some 4-6” reports from southern MD west of the Bay, so that band did crank.

• Like 1