Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 28-29 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Obs/Discussion

mappy

5 minutes ago, jayyy said:

In the next 4/5 hours as the 500mb low closes off, you will likely see the low (and precip shield) get pulled west for a while. It’ll look awfully tempting on radar for places getting fringed right now. Intense lift along the coast is, however, creating a lot of sinking air just inland from these bands. The snow gradient will be absolutely wild once this wraps up.

Yeah the gradient will probably be heartbreaking for some. Man this storm is makin me remember how much I REALLY LOVE SNOW - I wanna fly over to NE Maine and watch it lol

7 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Gotta imagine Cape has done quite well overnight. Banding seems to be getting over there for the most part. 

Actually just ok. Oddly the radar looks good but what's actually falling is pretty light. Might be 2 inches since I went to bed. Once I wake up a bit I will venture out.

Temp is 23.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Actually just ok. Oddly the radar looks good but what's actually falling is pretty light. Might be 2 inches since I went to bed. Once I wake up a bit I will venture out.

Temp is 23.

Gotta imagine it’s those bands to your east along the shoreline robbing some of the lift. Similar reports in mid-central jersey despite the radar looking good. Lift is so intense along the coast that it’s sinking sir a bit further inland. 

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

Gotta imagine it’s those bands to your east along the shoreline robbing some of the lift. Similar reports in mid-central jersey despite the radar looking good. Lift is so intense along the coast that it’s sinking sir a bit further inland. 

Maybe but the radar doesn't have that look. More likely some drier air working in and probably not ideal upstairs in the DGZ.

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Temp is 23.

Interestingly enough, temp is a smidge higher here than by you. Must be the cold being wrapped around the backside of the storm. My house is at 18 degrees back in Union bridge. 24 degrees currently up here in NJ. Down 8 degrees from just a few hours ago though. Should get down to 20 by 9AM. My parents 30mi NW of NYC are at 15 degrees 

Looks like it’s wrapping up here in Dundalk. I’d say 2-2.5”. Street is clear but it was probably salted. Sidewalk somewhat completely covered but can see pavement in spots. While it it snowed lightly for a long time, it was just a bit disappointing that never really saw that one good band. OC looks like it’s getting ripped on right now though 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Appears the 500mb close off and low formation is fairly imminent. Should happen in time to keep us in the game through early afternoon up this way. This thing is going to crawl from off the jersey coast to southern New England as it bombs out. 

9F428BE3-FA6D-41B8-8692-643BD41379EF.png

As in clearing sky? Northern MD isn't and has never been in the game with this one lol

• Confused 1

Question:

This is from the 5 AM Norton (Boston) AFD:

"In addition, as dry slot
approaches eastern MA and RI this afternoon, model soundings
indicate a potential moist absolute unstable layer (MAUL) in this
area."

Now, is "MAUL" an acronym that has widespread and accepted usage in the NWS/met community? Or is it the AFD's writer just having a bit of fun? Because it's certainly appropriate to what they're experiencing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jayyy said:

630 AM obs:

heavy snow, 22.5F, 10.5”

27mph sustained NW wind with 42mph Gusts -

asbury park, nj  

———-

Anxious to hear reports from the folks on here who went up to Atlantic City to chase. They’ve been deathbanded for hours. 

2979C73B-DE69-4941-B906-57CC8B183469.jpeg

I'm down in Absecon right outside of AC... Drove down from Lancaster County. Ripping down here. Haven't seen snow blow like this in my life. 

• Like 4