Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28-29 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Obs/Discussion

mappy

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Temp down to 33 with just pixie dust falling.  What seems likely to happen is that between 5-8pm, the radar should really light up as we starting getting some good moisture flux into the area from the developing storm.  All the models show this in one form or another.  Given the evidence we've seen today that dynamics and snow growth is favorable, I think we're all in for a pleasant evening with good snow ratios.  And with falling temps and none of this brutal January sun angle, we should accumulate efficiently.  Then at some point, we'll lose that moisture and energy as things consolidate offshore and things will peter out.  Wild card then is how far west can the coastal precip push.  @MillvilleWx, that look right to you?

Right on the money. Would love to have a little surprise west of the bay. Kind of had a bit back in 2010 with the storm that walloped OCMD. Could be something similar if everything breaks right. I do think things will be pretty uniform 1-3” west of 95, but I honestly think there could be a couple surprises for areas east of the fall line. One can hope. Looking forward to the snow coming back for the area in the next 2-4 hrs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

Right on the money. Would love to have a little surprise west of the bay. Kind of had a bit back in 2010 with the storm that walloped OCMD. Could be something similar if everything breaks right. I do think things will be pretty uniform 1-3” west of 95, but I honestly think there could be a couple surprises for areas east of the fall line. One can hope. Looking forward to the snow coming back for the area in the next 2-4 hrs. 

Cool.  I will say, many of the progs today showed banding (with more like 2-4") along a CHO-DC-Annapolis line.  And look where it's showing up now...  Still hoping for 2" IMBY...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Yes.  We find new ways to suck here.  I think it’s cracking a little now.  

About 30 min ago near the Target in. Gainesville it really picked up and the grass has caved fully. Started to stick on the edges of the driveway now so should be soon there. 

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Steady light snow and 33 here now. Just starting to see some stickage as the temp as dropped a bit.

Looking at the latest guidance it looks like 5 to as much as 7" here. About what I have expected despite plenty of runs showing 8-12 and even more. 

If I didn’t have to work tomorrow I’d be down there so fast. Wish I could join you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Even though the snow has been extremely light at times or even just flurries it has never stopped completely since the first flakes sometime around 5 a.m. 

Yep. Been peeping in at my cam during my drive, and snow has continued in some way shape or form since about 5 AM at my place. Stickage should improve drastically as we head into the 6-7 o’clock hour and the radar lights up a bit. Been pretty to look at though :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jmk said:

About 30 min ago near the Target in. Gainesville it really picked up and the grass has caved fully. Started to stick on the edges of the driveway now so should be soon there. 

Then I really suck because I’m 4 miles from there.  Wait it’s trying.  I’ll get back to you once I finishing hitting myself with this hammer. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

DCA down 5 degrees in last 2 hours so most areas ranging 33-35 and now just need moderate rates for near full accumulation 

How are the boys at the bar doing and nabbed any snow groupie babes yet???

I think we’re safe. Geeking out over snizzle doesn’t attract the right kind of attention.

• Haha 2