• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28th-29th Clippers/NW Flow Obs/Last Minute Forecasts.

John1122

4" of powder here. Rates pushing 2" at times.

High-res performed horribly but some of their longer range runs hit it right on the money.  I think the low DGZ and moisture caused them to really struggle.  HRRR only showed snowfall along the heaviest showers but reality we saw a pretty widespread area of light/moderate snow from the NW flow.

98FE01FB-C9A0-4729-AE03-D5BA3B89DD85.thumb.jpeg.3236ac2f0f718e08204e44586c28c1cb.jpegEDCB8176-DC88-4D4A-8A8B-9F62B3D89AAF.thumb.jpeg.4156e2ba55edf14e425d533af41c5d9a.jpeg

• Like 9

High-res performed horribly but some of their longer range runs hit it right on the money.  I think the low DGZ and moisture caused them to really struggle.  HRRR only showed snowfall along the heaviest showers but reality we saw a pretty widespread area of light/moderate snow from the NW flow.

98FE01FB-C9A0-4729-AE03-D5BA3B89DD85.thumb.jpeg.3236ac2f0f718e08204e44586c28c1cb.jpegEDCB8176-DC88-4D4A-8A8B-9F62B3D89AAF.thumb.jpeg.4156e2ba55edf14e425d533af41c5d9a.jpeg

I give MRX crap at times, mostly because I’ve got to take my frustration out on someone lol. That being said it’s just about impossible to figure out where the streamers are going to setup. The mods did struggle with the valley around Knox Co. They all showed that enhancement streamer coming from Scott, Morgan, Campbell and Anderson Co but they stopped it at the Knox Co line and that didn’t happen. West of 75 through west Knox Co picked up 1-2”. It looks like everyone who was supposed to get a couple of inches actually got 4+. NW flow just doesn’t do well in the valley, especially in my area unless there’s a wave or clipper.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Holy geebers…..

And it's just been sitting in one spot for hours with temps in the teens. They're in foot in 3-4hrs territory. Would love to see that here but it'd take serious arctic air, low sliding across the gulf, and getting REALLY lucky with the bands

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Very awesome satellite shot of the snow streaks across the valley. I live on the northern edge of the streak that came out of Cumberland county across Rhea, Meigs, McMinn and Polk I ended the event with just under an inch, but 3 miles north nada.dce8952a1523ce5521f35d94fcb00ab5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WOW. Those bands were lasers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Very awesome satellite shot of the snow streaks across the valley. I live on the edge of the streak that came out of Cumberland county across Rhea, Meigs, McMinn and Polk I ended the event with just under an inch, but 3 miles northeast nada.dce8952a1523ce5521f35d94fcb00ab5.jpg

Check that streak out from western Lee that stayed intact down thru the heart of the upper valley. Several inches western Lee co. from it . KMRX measured an inch and a half from it at their Office. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Very awesome satellite shot of the snow streaks across the valley. I live on the edge of the streak that came out of Cumberland county across Rhea, Meigs, McMinn and Polk I ended the event with just under an inch, but 3 miles northeast nada.dce8952a1523ce5521f35d94fcb00ab5.jpg

This is a basic map for downsloping off the Plateau in Tennessee. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, fountainguy97 said:

That’s awesome man!!  

• Like 1

I was amazed today at the difference in snow amounts in my town Oak Ridge. I live on a ridge in the center of the city and we received a coating of snow. I went for a walk in the south eastern section of town today, down in the "bottom land" near Melton Hill Lake and they had a good 1 1/2 inches of snow and icy roads in places. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWonderland said:

I was amazed today at the difference in snow amounts in my town Oak Ridge. I live on a ridge in the center of the city and we received a coating of snow. I went for a walk in the south eastern section of town today, down in the "bottom land" near Melton Hill Lake and they had a good 1 1/2 inches of snow and icy roads in places. 

There was amazingly sharp cutoffs outside those bands in the valley. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I'm at 16, there's a 15 and an 18 nearby. Areas with less snow are near 20. Do they have less snow now than your area?

I'm not sure how much Monterey has, but Crossville has less than here. It was just strange how quickly it dropped from 20 to 14 and the other stations a few miles away in either direction were around 18-22. I did go out to check and everything looked good and it was freezing cold for sure with crystal clear skies. Now it's holding steady at 15. Our low tonight is 19 though so it must be rising through the night.

Seeing that the interstates in Knoxville had more brine than I had snow (.77” vs dusting)……my wife and I went on a 10 mile hike in the GSMNP. We started at Chestnut Top trail, went down Schoolhouse Gap to
Laurel Creek Rd. Since it was closed, we walked the last 3.7 back on the road. Temp was 21 when we started and 28 when we finished. I would guess the max depth of snow to be around 3”. 48181f4f5cc62ec6260dbf45a04ae511.jpg
c999dd74bdefb5556dceb8c6d932cbe3.jpg
5418ad7b74c0b8ba3f5e3825e2e3d735.jpg
43ae0667eb2396fe2b32b1b42046676b.jpg
2ad675aabf098c17c922dd2c9ee802d7.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

MRX map for this one. It is not correct here. The 3 and 4 inch area in Campbell isn't big enough. I saw their storm reports had LaFollette at 3.2 inches. It's 2.4 on here. They have a Co-op site in NW Campbell,  they erroneously reported 1.8 inches of snow there in their local reports. It was corrected a couple hours later on their storm reports page to 4.8 inches and they mention the correction. Yet the spot in NW Campbell where the 1-2 inch circle is is at the area of the co-op site. 

They are generally the official reporting station in Morristown, we know they reported 1.5 inches, they report 0.1 on the map for some reason. Knoxtron reported 1.5 inches by McGhee-Tyson, Stove reported 1.25 at least,  Knoxville listed as 0.2. 

They even made a point to put out the map of 1.5-2 inch snow streaks this morning but they don't appear on this map. 

This is why snowfall averages and data can't be trusted here. It's chronically underreported.  

l8T8WF.md.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, John1122 said:

MRX map for this one. It is not correct here. The 3 and 4 inch area in Campbell isn't big enough. I saw their storm reports had LaFollette at 3.2 inches. It's 2.4 on here. They have a Co-op site in NW Campbell,  they erroneously reported 1.8 inches of snow there in their local reports. It was corrected a couple hours later on their storm reports page to 4.8 inches and they mention the correction. Yet the spot in NW Campbell where the 1-2 inch circle is is at the area of the co-op site. 

They are generally the official reporting station in Morristown, we know they reported 1.5 inches, they report 0.1 on the map for some reason. Knoxtron reported 1.5 inches by McGhee-Tyson, Stove reported 1.25 at least,  Knoxville listed as 0.2. 

They even made a point to put out the map of 1.5-2 inch snow streaks this morning but they don't appear on this map. 

This is why snowfall averages and data can't be trusted here. It's chronically underreported.  

l8T8WF.md.jpg

Same thing here. I have started taking my measurements and reporting them here.

https://inws.ncep.noaa.gov/report/

So far, every report has been used! I've noticed the same thing here as far as severely under-reported snowfall. But not anymore with my reports!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Shocker0 said:

My weather gauge has quickly dropped from 20 down to 14 after the sunset. That can't be right? Monterey and Crossville are reporting around 19-20.

Mine did the same thing last night. The lowest I got was 15 at 11:30 . I have friends across 70n who measured 13.7, which is close to your reading  . My grandfather used to tell me that this was one of the coldest spots in the area, so I guess he was right. He was the county agent for Cumberland and was interested in weather also , I got the bug from him for sure

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John1122 said:

MRX map of the snow streaks. Red=snow cover.  

lkiH4S.jpg

We were in Knoxville yesterday for a band event at UT.  That NE streak on I81 laid down a lot of snow on the interstate.  We went rom nothing to lots of snow(snow had fallen the night before...we saw the aftermath) to a winter wonderland in about one mile.  Then, the interstate went down to one line.  There were a couple of tractor/trailers jackknifed.  By the time we hit the Jeff City exit on I-40 it was pretty much gone.  I had to put the vehicle in 4WD on the interstate.  Super sketch conditions. 

• Like 4

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic