• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28th/29th Event Obs - From KU to FU?

JTA66

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Ok, woke up and saw that the radar from about 5 am to 7 am was meh and measured about 5.5" at 7 am (very tough to measure with wind blown snow even in our backyard where usually wind doesn't affect measurements that much), which meant we only got 3/4" over the last 2.5 hours. Looking at the radar now, if those bands east of us can't make it here, there's no way we're going to make it to my 8.25" prediction, which I thought was a lock at 4 am. There was always going to be a sharp NW cutoff and we may be the victim of that. 21F now.

Well, we got some light to moderate snow the past 2 hours and we're now up to 6.25", which is a nice storm, but very likely will fall a bit short of my 8.25" prediction. Part of that is because the NWS predicted 14:1 ratios, so I kind of figured that in, but DonCat in Staten Island reported a 12:1 ratio - if it had been 14:1, I'd be at 7.3" now. No biggie, just interesting to observe. It's still snowing and the radar looks like we might have another hour or two with a shot at a heavier band as the storm pivots and starts heading ENE. For hours I've been watching heavy bands about 10-15 miles east of me falling apart as they move west, but maybe we'll still get one. Oh well, still a fun storm. 20F.

4 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Well, we got some light to moderate snow the past 2 hours and we're now up to 6.25", which is a nice storm, but very likely will fall a bit short of my 8.25" prediction. Part of that is because the NWS predicted 14:1 ratios, so I kind of figured that in, but DonCat in Staten Island reported a 12:1 ratio - if it had been 14:1, I'd be at 7.3" now. No biggie, just interesting to observe. It's still snowing and the radar looks like we might have another hour or two with a shot at a heavier band as the storm pivots and starts heading ENE. For hours I've been watching heavy bands about 10-15 miles east of me falling apart as they move west, but maybe we'll still get one. Oh well, still a fun storm. 20F.

I'm probably going to try to do a SWE later where I am as I expect the ratio might be higher here since I am further away from that big ocean than you are.

Temp keeps on falling here and I'm now down to 17 with dp 15. :o  The "high" was 29 at midnight.

18 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

Heaviest snow of the storm so far in the Lehigh Valley. Still not “heavy” snow by definition but it’s coming down at a pretty good clip.

the orographic lifting is taking over right now. The atmosphere is playing the sponge card right now squeezing every bit of available moisture out the atmospheric profiles. The flake size is much bigger just like we were in the sierras with big fluffy flakes rather then dendritic crystals we had all night.  However, not worried- an inch or so more and the dry air battle will be over as it will push over the Blue and eventually South mountains and end quickly by noon.  The temps should drop to near zero tonight. Mt Holly should revise the overnight lows as many temps are near in the low teens even in the LV and single digits over Hazleton area. With the fresh snow cover and the winds finally dying down by morning, I see below zero temps for many areas.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Violentweatherfan said:

Beyond my 5" call as of now. At least 7" and still falling there is a shot at double digits if it can continue to snow til 2pm

L-Town FTW at least in PA for this one. We just barely got into some of those heavier bands last night for a few hours and it made a difference. My brother and sister in lower makefield and yardley said they have around 6-6.5” while we are up to 8”. Still snowing moderate too. Don’t think we hit double digits but 9 may be doable.

• Like 1

It looked like the heavier bands really struggled to make it across the Delaware, for the most part.  My mom's place in Hatboro has like 4-6" but evidently it's quite windy and the light, powdery snow has been blown around easily.

With all these NS coastals and La Ninas, it might be time to get a shore place as a snow cabin.  :mapsnow:

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Mt. Holly re-tweeted the Philly Office of Emergency Management's spotter report (location is in Northern Liberties which is right by the Delaware River) -

Definite sharp cutoff between there and where I am on the opposite side of the city!

Amazing difference.
I measured 5.3 this morning at 7:30 in Fox Chase, NWS added it to the .75 from yesterday and the 6.1 made it to the official PNS,
and The Weather Channel actually used it as well.

12 hours ago, G8tor said:

I'm between Mt Holly and the Delaware River.  Had some of the pre-storm snow this morning that melted off and now getting some steady build up.

It should be interesting to see what tomorrow morning looks like.   I'm ready--grocery shopping is done and I'll be cooking a big pot of cajun ettoufee  after I finish the shovelin'

IMBY as of 1030:

DSCN3147-resized.thumb.jpg.a31bdab2fde97bf9694bac7769038a76.jpg

12 hours later: It is still coming down pretty steady.  I'm just west of the turnpike/I-95 corridor so probably just outside of the heavier bands that went through eastern Burlington Co.

Looks like I received about 9" IMBY and could add a little more before its done.  I work at the military base and they likely received a foot or so.  The snow removal teams will be busy today on the airfields.

DSCN3156-resized.jpg

still cranking along here in SoMoCo by Allaire.  piles.....drifts.....sideways.....up-ways......down-ways...slanted ways.....

should be wrapping up between 3-4.  Windchills are going to be an issue for sure

this is a good storm no doubt. we have had MUCH better....this one IMO seems stuck in 3rd gear......fleeting moments of 4th gear.   I do enjoy having this occur through the daylight hours.  

• Like 1