• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28th/29th Event Obs - From KU to FU?

JTA66

58 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I am just posting model images for the benefit of this subforum for people to look at since there are those who lurk here who are watching the play by plays and who have expressed a desire to "learn". I have given no weight or "analysis" of which one(s) I think is "correct".  They all constitute "data points", nothing more, nothing less.

Your every post is very much appreciated. I am one of the lurking learners:) 

Btw, 29 degrees and light snowfall here in Newtown. 

7 minutes ago, Blue Dream said:

I am thinking the same!  Can't help but be jealous of SNE but this will be a solid event.

I can live with them getting more than us, that's climo. It's when the Carolinas are cashing in and were sitting high & dry...that's a tough one to deal with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

To my old weenie eyes, it didn't look like the NAM initiated the PRE too well. Probably doesn't matter at this point, we're moving into nowcasting time -- track, where/when does the upper low close off, etc.

Good luck everyone, enjoy!

Thanks and the same to you! 

I had a wait and see attitude about snow today, was looking forward to seeing "some" snow. This is pretty cool though! About 0.7" so far, 30F, dp 18.

0128220959_copy_3242x3952_copy_683x834.thumb.jpg.77d56bb64a8a73bb66d1fc0c0da038e6.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boreal said:

So true that Rt 78 is always a mess in any weather, especially Lehigh-Berks portion. Per the latest AFD Mt. Holly seems to be aware of the potential for some increased snow totals in the NW 1/3 of the forecast area:  “…My current feeling is that totals on the coast may be a little on the high side given a potential positive snow-ratio forecast bias, but may be a little on the low side in the northwest CWA (where snow ratios may be higher, and where forecasts have trended west with QPF in recent model suites).…”. Today’s snow has been in the forecast for many forecast cycles, but it’s far too little to warrant an advisory, and also may be too far removed from the potential additional snowfall tomorrow to even get the area to advisory level snows (the NWS criteria is 3” in 12 hours).    I am more frustrated seeing the potential big snows to the east than by anything else, but hopefully some of the modeled snow trends continue and we get to join the party. 

82E81DB6-AB33-49F6-8C31-8D842267A8A7.jpeg

CCE6383A-7634-4525-BF50-0E2BD62D459F.jpeg

I agree with your post  but not the criteria. After this snow event Mt Holly really needs to be initiating a study to change the criteria for issuing warning and watches for the entire  LV ( including Berks County)  and northern Bucks and Montgomery counties. Nearly 2 million people now live in this area alone. Setting arbitrary warning criteria should be based on population and its density. This area has experienced the fastest and most growth in PA in the past five years.  That in itself warrants the change not to mention placing the LV as most transportation dependent industry in the entire North east US by  making the LV the logistics capital for the entire  NE based on warehouse/distribution centers.  Lastly, the physical geography with incorporating the actual location of the fall line should signify a change but that topic is for another day.  https://www.citypopulation.de/en/usa/pennsylvania/admin

• Weenie 1

Pretty interesting setup, I can't remember ever seeing a something like this for a winter storm where the primary gets started off the East Coast of Florida, plus it seems to kind of have 3 pieces of energy instead of 2 like a typical Miller A/B - does anyone have any analogs? Lmk if I'm misunderstanding something about the setup/energy transfer too

Anyway, steady light snow here in East Falls (NW Philly), solid coating but not really enough to measure at this point. Hoping for 7 or 8" here

19 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

We're in this heavier band moving through and yeah it does seem to be overperforming...

29F

save.jpg

I've been pretty central under the banding since it setup shop this morning.

Had some fatter flakes around the time you posted this radar image and when I took this picture 25 mins ago.

LTFL3j2.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Blue Dream said:

Sick!  I think we have a shot at 6"+ in Lower Bucks depending on the banding obviously.

Yeah I like 6-8" right now with an outside shot of double digits. My baseline is warning level event and I think we'll hit that. At least we won't have to worry about sleet this go around.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chadzachadam said:

Pretty interesting setup, I can't remember ever seeing a something like this for a winter storm where the primary gets started off the East Coast of Florida, plus it seems to kind of have 3 pieces of energy instead of 2 like a typical Miller A/B - does anyone have any analogs? Lmk if I'm misunderstanding something about the setup/energy transfer too

Anyway, steady light snow here in East Falls (NW Philly), solid coating but not really enough to measure at this point. Hoping for 7 or 8" here

For the past week, the models have briefly shown some low scooting off the southern Florida coast and then "disappearing" while a new low forms off the coast of the Carolinas.  As time went on, the Florida low would make "an appearance" and then the 2 lows seemed to be doing a waltz, the two cheek to cheek and jowl to jowl, while each one seemingly wanted to "take the lead" and yank the other in the opposite direction (either to the east or to the west) in the models, as they crawled up the coast. :lol:  Sorry for my wild description but when you animate the runs, the "low(s)" just jump(s) around east/west/east/west wildly.

As an obs, I am currently 30 with SN and dp 27.  Looks like I have about 1/2" so far but there seems to be some insolation going on because there is some melting/evaporation despite the temps being below freezing.  The wind is pretty light too so far so it's not blowing around.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

1.8" in East Nantmeal Twp in Chester County as of 11am

You're cleaning up with the front right now Paul, I don't think any model had your area at almost 2" already. Even though you may be too far west for the best banding of the coastal, you may still score a decent event.