• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28th/29th Event Obs - From KU to FU?

JTA66

2 minutes ago, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

Can you explain that to me? Like, it still has to go somewhere.

“If its windy, snowflakes can fracture, losing their "lacy" structure and leading to lower accumulations (lower snow ratios). Deep cold, in general, promotes higher snow ratios.”

https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_snowratios

• Thanks 3

Some of you guys aren't familiar with how a coastal works and it shows. The coastal points see the gale winds...and higher elevations in E PA. But these are 10m winds during the height of the snowfall here in SE PA. 17knots max near my area? 

nam3km_mslp_wind_neus_36.thumb.png.b6ee128cf5b267e53b9ee55c84ace504.png

We get out best winds when the damage is done and the snow has mostly moved out:

nam3km_mslp_wind_neus_45.thumb.png.9d67962c0fc29734ae0f0f7f45d37834.png

Winds won't knock down the totals as much as 20 degree temps will fluff up the accums in the Del Valley. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Some of you guys aren't familiar with how a coastal works and it shows. The coastal points see the gale winds...and higher elevations in E PA. But these are 10m winds during the height of the snowfall here in SE PA. 17knots max? 

We get out best winds when the damage is done and the snow has mostly moved out:

Winds won't knock down the totals as much as 20 degree temps will fluff up the accums in the Del Valley. 

Damn plebs here spreading bad info. Send em back to the mid atlantic ralph

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

fwiw…hearing the RGEM looks good.

This better not be another Lucy. Seems like far E PA might be catching a rare late break headed into this storm. This time a day and a half ago I was barely expecting a coating from the PRE or whatever we r calling it starting in the AM with the Saturday coastal just grazing. Now things are getting interesting. Iceman might be in for a surprise?

This better not be another Lucy. Seems like far E PA might be catching a rare late break headed into this storm. This time a day and a half ago I was barely expecting a coating from the PRE or whatever we r calling it starting in the AM.

That's what I'm calling it, especially for my neck of the woods. Red=PRE Blue="Main event"

image.thumb.png.02d3b7e3537cb92c83da6702effbfaee.png

• Weenie 1

This better not be another Lucy. Seems like far E PA might be catching a rare late break headed into this storm. This time a day and a half ago I was barely expecting a coating from the PRE or whatever we r calling it starting in the AM.

Yeah, I’ve been reluctant to say it but maybe we’re actually trending into something for a change instead of out of it.

When I started this thread this morning, I was thinking maybe C-1” imby.

5 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Does that hint at a possible retrograde? Man, this one's coming down to the wire!

I'm not watching the low trend west. I've been watching the convection and heaviest banding moving west and expanding over the last 18 hours. Alot is in response to how quickly this will deepen. When these stack and occlude there is a natural tendency to tug the low left of center which is why we are seeing a tuck on the mesos. This is only like 20 miles now from the benchmark for extreme E PA areas and points S and E.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Some of you guys aren't familiar with how a coastal works and it shows. The coastal points see the gale winds...and higher elevations in E PA. But these are 10m winds during the height of the snowfall here in SE PA. 17knots max near my area? 

17 knots are 20 mph.  And I believe that is sustained.  Dude, you’re  way over estimating.  Funny

also, that’s at the surface.  Cmon man.

I remember like it was yesterday and Ray would come in here at laugh at folks that thought we’d get 15-1.  LOL