• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2022 Atlantic Hurricane season

StormchaserChuck!

GFS pushing back the development of the lead AEW even further and kinda splits the next wave. Not looking for specifics at that range but the trend with the first wave is definitely much, much more delayed development if any. The chances of going 0-0-0 in August are slowly creeping up unless something in the Caribbean, GOM, or mid latitudes pops up 

9 hours ago, cptcatz said:

The 0z EPS is pretty bullish with three waves in the next 10 days: it starts to develop the current 20% lemon just north of the Caribbean and ends the run with it on a crash course into Florida.  The next wave seems a bit messy in the central Atlantic but the third wave looks to be a vigorous one.  Looks like the main story of the models is they have no idea how to handle this monsoon trough.

35342837.gif

Ok, what is a "lemon"?

21 minutes ago, floridapirate said:

Ok, what is a "lemon"?

The yellow shaded zone indicating potential "low-probability" (30% or less) areas for tropical cyclogenesis on NHC's 5-day Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook.

Medium-probability (40%-60%) is shaded orange ("orange" or "mandarin") and high-probability (70% or more) is red ("cherry") as alluded to by @AnthonyEC above.

22 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

The yellow shaded zone indicating potential "low-probability" (30% or less) areas for tropical cyclogenesis on NHC's 5-day Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook.

Medium-probability (40%-60%) is shaded orange ("orange" or "mandarin") and high-probability (70% or more) is red ("cherry") as alluded to by @AnthonyEC above.

Based on my memory, these fruit based terms were originated 10+ years ago by board member and chaser, Josh Morgerman. And they stuck!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

Based on my memory, these fruit based terms were originated 10+ years ago by board member and chaser, Josh Morgerman. And they stuck!

Those threads back then when he was on the chase was a perfect example how crowd sourcing info can pay dividends. Kind of nostalgic when you think about it. 

• Like 1

Those threads back then when he was on the chase was a perfect example how crowd sourcing info can pay dividends. Kind of nostalgic when you think about it. 
We somehow lost a big dump of fantastic meteorological threads. It is such a shame all that historical discussion is gone. Sure, there were plenty of bad takes. But we were frequented by some really good experts and mets, and blessed a plethora of knowledge.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Windspeed said:
4 hours ago, Seminole said:

We somehow lost a big dump of fantastic meteorological threads. It is such a shame all that historical discussion is gone. Sure, there were plenty of bad takes. But we were frequented by some really good experts and mets, and blessed a plethora of knowledge.

Maybe someone can help, on a somewhat unrelated note, my entire browser is full of ads anytime I'm on this website. It didn't use to be like that. Is that normal? I can't even get to my "quote" box in the bottom right-screen.

Snapshot_220822232726.jpg

Beginning of September looks quite active, a juicy fish on the Euro supported by its and GFS' ensembles.  0Z GFS has a long range New England near miss supported when in the Caribbean by ensembles .  But the 0/0/0 August isn't impossible.  I still think they'll be a named storm, maybe two, although a hurricane this month isn't suggested by the models.

We’re starting to hone in on the August 29-first week of September period for a MDR storm (Multiple models showing development of the same waves in this period and strong ensemble support). Will be a race to see if we can get a name by the end of the month, but suffice it to say, I expect September to start much differently than the way August has gone. Interestingly, the 00z GFS developed that disturbance coming off S America that the Icon has shown for a couple days, before the AEWs in question develop. There has periodically been some ensemble support for this system, though shear in the eastern Caribbean looks less favorable than other parts of the basin (But it avoids the suffocating SAL). Something to watch as it’s getting into closer range at least.

Lastly, I haven’t given up on the GOM this weekend yet. There looks to be at least some form of an active west Caribbean gyre and models have periodically shown some development out of this feature. Very low chance at this point, but it’s something to watch on the models as we get through this week.

On another note, the global dry spell for hurricanes/typhoons was ended this morning in the western pacific.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

We’re starting to hone in on the August 29-first week of September period for a MDR storm (Multiple models showing development of the same waves in this period and strong ensemble support). Will be a race to see if we can get a name by the end of the month, but suffice it to say, I expect September to start much differently than the way August has gone. Interestingly, the 00z GFS developed that disturbance coming off S America that the Icon has shown for a couple days, before the AEWs in question develop. There has periodically been some ensemble support for this system, though shear in the eastern Caribbean looks less favorable than other parts of the basin (But it avoids the suffocating SAL). Something to watch as it’s getting into closer range at least.

Lastly, I haven’t given up on the GOM this weekend yet. There looks to be at least some form of an active west Caribbean gyre and models have periodically shown some development out of this feature. Very low chance at this point, but it’s something to watch on the models as we get through this week.

On another note, the global dry spell for hurricanes/typhoons was ended this morning in the western pacific.

Let’s see how much dry air impacts waves coming east

16 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

This is the best developed AEW we've seen so far this season and I believe it will be the one to watch going forward. Already possess a very robust circulation around the embedded low. It is also at a low latitude for when it exits Africa. Should be south of the Cabo Verdes.
be27ee0f33cb984a682834aa71cad3fa.gif

This is one that should produce, but…

:lol: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Windspeed said:

This is the best developed AEW we've seen so far this season and I believe it will be the one to watch going forward. Already possess a very robust circulation around the embedded low. It is also at a low latitude for when it exits Africa. Should be south of the Cabo Verdes.
be27ee0f33cb984a682834aa71cad3fa.gif

The last one even close to being that developed while still over W Africa was more than likely the precursor to Invest 94L/Bonnie, which did look incredible and continued to look amazingly impressive in the E MDR for only being late June.

By the way, there is a new lemon for this wave.

• Thanks 1

12Z runs that are out so far for the impressive wave over W Africa and what they do over the E MDR:

1. The UKMET doesn't develop this.
2. The GFS, ICON, and JMA have nothing more than a very weak, strung out low.
3. The CMC does a little bit more with it once it gets to near 40W though it is still just a 1008 mb low at hour 240.
4. We await the "King".

The disturbance that goes into the Caribbean is obviously much more impressive on especially the GFS as noted above.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

As the 12Z rolls out (and looks scary), it is interesting that last night I noticed the Central Atlantic convection around 55W getting slightly better defined. Noticing some ever-so-slight turning if you use your imagination.

There's definitely some vorticity down there and it's getting stronger in recent hours at least based on CIMSS analysis. 

850mb

hZed8Xv.gif

925mb

lMy1sIj.gif

It also has a nice moisture envelope (note that it also looks better in the E Atlantic where the next wave should be) 

mimictpw_natl_latest.gif

If it can break off and get into the Caribbean without too much shear, it should be a good environment. The ensemble guidance has had a light signal. We'll see if that becomes more modest today. 

16 minutes ago, Seminole said:

This should grab some folks attention.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_seus_44.png

Not to panic you and not that anything like this will necessarily happen with this wave or any other for that matter, but as I've mentioned previously, the Gulf Coast of FL was hit with substantially in every one of the 8 ENSO analog years to 2022. Also, it was hit more consistently than any other area in the entire basin during those 8 years in the aggregate....fwiw.

• Like 3