• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2022 Atlantic Hurricane season

StormchaserChuck!

I am actually wondering, based on mostly >1005 mb ensemble members, why they didn't wait on the lemon since it'll be over land (or barely catch some water N of Honduras) soon and won't develop before the BoC.  It has the 'right' look to it though when I loop it but they could have waited a day or two.

CaribbeanToBoC.PNG

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Active look again today on the operational and ensemble guidance, and it’s not stuck at the end of the runs. Growing confidence the lid is primed to come off as early as this weekend starting with the BOC disturbance.

Yep. Buckle up. Season incoming. May not live up to hyperactive expectations but the look beginning in a week, complete with a blocking high across the Atlantic, means land interaction is higher than normal. I’d focus on SW gulf areas and east coast through first week of September as possible areas for TC impact. Too much troughiness/shear in northern gulf but I am increasingly worried for the Carolina’s. Going to be praying for some recurved in a couple weeks 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StruThiO said:

no shear

wg8shr.GIF

Yeah, that's a concern I have regarding the lead AEW wave that will start to emerge within 24 hours: shear is low and is projected to remain low in much of the E and C MDR for a good # of days. In addition and somewhat related: steering by high pressure that builds westward to its north is progged to prevent an early safe recurve and thus would likely mean a move far west into the basin, a potentially very dangerous scenario IF dry air doesn't keep it weak as suggested by various ens members as well as a couple of GFS runs. It being La Nina and August (not as high a % of safe recurves of E MDR TCs for both categories) add to the concern.

Here's an updated satellite pic (IR) that shows similar to the prior pic that there may already be a weak circulation over far SW Mali despite convection having lightened up tonight:

SatPicAEWswMali02z081722.thumb.jpg.fab2ef2638c3592905cf088813f4dd29.jpg

7 hours ago, GaWx said:

^The 0Z GFS on 8/30 hits Bermuda with the very dangerous right front quadrant of a major H. That makes 3 of the last 9 GFS runs with a H in the western Atlantic from the soon to emerge AEW.

One concerning point is that while the 06z run still recurves on the OP the GEFS is much further west 

Screenshot_20220817-075956_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bigtenfan said:

For as threatening as the GFS and the GEFS looks to be  they appear to be alone. Unless i am missing something  it I see little if any  support from from the Euro or the EPS, the CMC or the ICON.

I'm also trying to temper my expectations with this, but balancing it with the terrible Euro performance over the past 2 years when it comes to formation.  Basin conditions look good, and its unlikely that *nothing* will happen in the next 2 weeks.

51 minutes ago, shaggy said:

One concerning point is that while the 06z run still recurves on the OP the GEFS is much further west 

Ensembles versus Op, I always wonder if resolution makes a difference.  AccuWeather had the control ensemble versus the op for the Euro, same initial conditions, and by 5 or 6 days, the resolution changes thing.  AccuWeather still probably has the control run and the Op  In the day, JB asserted the 10 year ago GFS versus the Euro, the 10 year old GFS had a poleward bias.  GFS guidance, which NHC followed for a couple of days, 2008 Ike was going to recurve East of Florida.

It’s still disorganized obviously, but that wave in the western Caribbean has held convection together nicely. The only things holding it back are land interaction and some shear to the north. 

We’ll see how it looks after the Yucatán, but this is as good a candidate as any for homebrew development. Wherever a center forms would be critical to TC genesis chances and eventual track.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952746d909bc098a5088c

3 hours ago, shaggy said:

This 6Z GEFS replaces yesterday's 12Z GEFS as the most threatening run to date of the season to the US. It could still be off, but verbatim this is getting more worrisome. Also, the 6Z GFS is the 4th of the last 10 and second in a row with a H in the western Atlantic. Almost all of these modeled western basin GFS/GEFS hurricanes are from the AEW about to leave Africa.

• Like 1

As of hour 192, the 12Z GFS is the least organized since the 0Z 8/16 run for the AEW soon to exit Africa. Also, note that the high to the north is the weakest by a good margin in many runs.

Also, the 12Z UKMET is still another run with no TC anywhere in the basin out through 144 hours.

14 minutes ago, Normandy said:

See you in November iduB!  The bell has been rung.  GFS nails the Gulf Coast with the seasons first major.

We will see. The Atlantic super cane  is a  "ghost" of  its  former self at  12Z and  if  i remember  correctly  back in June the GFS insisted a  major  cane was  going to hit the gulf  coast. It  didnt form, much less  hit anything..

Mid day Euro will be  out shortly. If it shows nothing at  240 then its doubtful anything  of  note will form.