Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

24 minutes ago, Air Traffic Control said:

Having these snow models trend north of my town makes me sad... and exasperated. I am not looking forward to my dream snow turn into nightmare ice. I will have an aneurysm for sure if KSTL gets far more snow than KBLV, jajaja. ;=;

Yeah. I want that heavy snow shot over Cleveland and Akron! What’s this over the lake bull crap?

Not sure if this was already posted...

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Indianapolis IN
250 PM EST Sun Jan 30 2022

INZ021-028>031-035>049-051>057-060>065-067>072-311000-
Carroll-Warren-Tippecanoe-Clinton-Howard-Fountain-Montgomery-
Boone-Tipton-Hamilton-Madison-Delaware-Randolph-Vermillion-Parke-
Putnam-Hendricks-Marion-Hancock-Henry-Vigo-Clay-Owen-Morgan-
Johnson-Shelby-Rush-Sullivan-Greene-Monroe-Brown-Bartholomew-
Decatur-Knox-Daviess-Martin-Lawrence-Jackson-Jennings-
Including the cities of Delphi, Flora, Williamsport,
West Lebanon, Lafayette, West Lafayette, Frankfort, Kokomo,
Attica, Covington, Veedersburg, Crawfordsville, Lebanon,
Zionsville, Tipton, Fishers, Carmel, Noblesville, Anderson,
Muncie, Winchester, Union City, Farmland, Parker City, Clinton,
Fairview Park, Rockville, Montezuma, Rosedale, Greencastle,
Plainfield, Brownsburg, Danville, Indianapolis, Greenfield,
New Castle, Terre Haute, Brazil, Spencer, Gosport, Martinsville,
Mooresville, Greenwood, Franklin, Shelbyville, Rushville,
Sullivan, Carlisle, Shelburn, Farmersburg, Linton, Bloomfield,
Jasonville, Worthington, Bloomington, Nashville, Columbus,
Greensburg, Vincennes, Washington, Loogootee, Shoals, Bedford,
Mitchell, Seymour, and North Vernon
250 PM EST Sun Jan 30 2022

...WINTRY PRECIPITATION MAY IMPACT TRAVEL TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
THURSDAY...

There is a chance of wintry precipitation beginning Tuesday night
and continuing through Thursday across central Indiana. Timing,
and details on dominant precipitation type and amounts are still
not clear. However, forecast confidence is expected to increase
over the next couple of days. Early indications are that wintry
precipitation could cause significant travel impacts across
portions of the area. Snow, sleet, and freezing rain are all
possible.

1 hour ago, OHweather said:

Not sure if there was collaboration on that or not, but these insane numbers rarely pan out as modeled, plus track will change, so here we are trying to be aggressive enough to get people to stay tuned to the forecast but vague enough to not put amounts in anyone’s heads yet. Once models show all time record snow storms and a ton of ice it’s hard to stop that hype train from getting into the public sphere but we can try to at least steer the message…try the key word. 

Isn't it SOP to issue Winter Storm Watches at least 48hrs before the onset of an event?

You guys (I'm talking about all the WFOs in line for some impact from this system) will definitely need to shit or get off the pot by tomorrow.

• Like 1

I'm off the next 2 days, so I won't be on day shift AFDs and headline issuance, but I'll have more time to contribute to the analysis on here.

Thanks to those who posted some nice words on my discusssion/dissertation today. Glad to be able to help everyone learn.

Anyway, have to echo [mention=525]OHweather[/mention], and I already mention this in the AFD: if the southern stream wave comes in as strong as now modeled by the GFS, ECMWF, and a majority of their ensemble members, I fully expect a northward adjustment to the second round, assuming properly timed ejection.

This is due to antecedent pronounced eastern ridging, tendency for strong PV anomalies (potential vorticity anomaly is another name for the short waves we track) to track north and west of earlier forecasts via further pumping downstream ridging, and addition for this setup of +NAO.

We've referenced past great events that tracked north of earlier guidance, such as GHD I & II, January 4-5, 2014. Only have to go back to last Feb 14-16 for another example of strong southern wave coming much farther north than had been modeled just a few days prior. That was despite the NAO still being negative.

The current temporary block east of Greenland caused by the departing east coast bomb is forecast to dissipate, so the Hudson Bay PV lobe is now forecast to escape northeast a bit quicker. At this time based off the GEFS/EPS mean as shown by op runs, northern stream trough left behind is less likely to outpace the southern wave, with some interaction between the two. This is as opposed to the main wave getting buried, with only sheared out positive tilt southern stream energy shunting everything south.

While it is great to see the much stronger EPS support (should see another bump on 18z EPS after further improved op run), setup for the 2nd part is still conditional to the strength of the southern stream wave and proper trough ejection and favorable timing of ejection. Feeling increasingly confident in a major event including a good chunk of the LOT CWA but we still have a ways to go and lots of fun/stressful model watching.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

A few additional points:

- Don't want to sleep on round one, the f-gen enhanced overrunning. We have plenty of experience with strong fgen bands producing low to mid end warning amounts on their own (for recent LOT CWA history, think 11/22/15, 2/8-2/9/2018, initial late Nov 2018 snows just to name a few).

This current setup has a lot going for it, with high PWATs, sharp low and mid level baroclinic zone, and steep mid-upper lapse rates including in the DGZ. Barring major changes, expecting 1-2"/hour type stuff wherever the heaviest banding sets up.

- For these long duration extreme events, the ingredients in play for past events, overrunning followed by strong southern wave ejection, is certainly the case here. That's why we've seen GHD I & II on the analog lists.

- I don't know if there is anything to this, but for major Midwest events, there was often a big east coast system within a week in advance of the Midwest system. Prior to GHD I and II, there were major noreasters/blizzards less than a week out in the last week of January.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andyhb said:

Thought the same thing looking at that. If we get that shortwave to amplify just a bit more and eject more intact, not only does the potential for a blizzard go up, but I could see jackpots approaching 2 feet from that wave alone given how moisture logged this thing is.

Effectively, this thing is basically two storms in one.

Moisture laden for sure, with both a Pac and Gulf connection.

image.png.606bb15dc90df4eb95e20712945a8a83.png

image.png.a01614548577389dee4aae8987de0588.png

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Harry said:

If it doesn't happen in Grand Rapids proper or in the boonies further north ( where basically nobody lives ) it didn't happen. 

Only a few there worth reading who actually takes the time to break things down and they are rarely on when it comes to winter events. 

Historic has found everyway possible to miss this area ( Dec 04,  Mar 08. VD 07, GHD 1, etc etc ) so yeah expectations have been low on the crazier amounts the GFS has showed. That blew it's load here in 67 and 78. 

Wow, guess I didn't add all those near misses up as potentials for Calhoun/SMI. After all, the region's been waiting 44 years for a widespread CAT-5 hit. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Isn't it SOP to issue Winter Storm Watches at least 48hrs before the onset of an event?

You guys (I'm talking about all the WFOs in line for some impact from this system) will definitely need to shit or get off the pot by tomorrow.

Lol. 24-48 hours out is SOP. No reason they won’t be issued in higher confidence areas at the earlier end of that. If BUF was farther west they would’ve pushed for a watch today and others may have jumped in but no one pushed hard for it surrounding us today. It’s Sunday anyways, they can be hoisted early Monday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

A few additional points:

- Don't want to sleep on round one, the f-gen enhanced overrunning. We have plenty of experience with strong fgen bands producing low to mid end warning amounts on their own (for recent LOT CWA history, think 11/22/15, 2/8-2/9/2018, initial late Nov 2018 snows just to name a few).

This current setup has a lot going for it, with high PWATs, sharp low and mid level baroclinic zone, and steep mid-upper lapse rates including in the DGZ. Barring major changes, expecting 1-2"/hour type stuff wherever the heaviest banding sets up.

- For these long duration extreme events, the ingredients in play for past events, overrunning followed by strong southern wave ejection, is certainly the case here. That's why we've seen GHD I & II on the analog lists.

- I don't know if there is anything to this, but for major Midwest events, there was often a big east coast system within a week in advance of the Midwest system. Prior to GHD I and II, there were major noreasters/blizzards less than a week out in the last week of January.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

You can include Jan of '78 monster in that group. Boston was slammed similar to this year, and I believe it was just 4 or 5 days prior to the MOAB here.

• Like 3

Assuming no funny business with how the main system ejects, you really couldn't draw up a much better setup for a record/near record breaking storm wherever the heaviest corridor sets up.  Long duration with multiple rounds of good rates and improving ratios with time.  Also, while it will be windier with time, likely not looking at extreme gusts so not as much concern about dendrite fracturing, etc.

• Like 2

• Rjay locked this topic