joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

3 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

GRR is riding the Euro hard while IWX and DTX say it is way too early to call 

GRR :rolleyes:

They will latch onto one single model (any of them) and ride it over a cliff. Even at that, while the Euro shafts GR proper, it still clips their far SE counties pretty good and would require headlines for sure, but to read the AFD nobody is getting snow in their CWA. This happened with last Feb's storm as well. My former residence in Calhoun is one of those ignored by that office. They skipped any Watch, went with the purple paint, then after it was snowing sideways and beyond obvious we were getting storm level hit, they hoisted a warning. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RogueWaves said:

They will latch onto one single model (any of them) and ride it over a cliff. Even at that, while the Euro shafts GR proper, it still clips their far SE counties pretty good and would require headlines for sure, but to read the AFD nobody is getting snow in their CWA. This happened with last Feb's storm as well. My former residence in Calhoun is one of those ignored by that office. They skipped any Watch, went with the purple paint, then after it was snowing sideways and beyond obvious we were getting storm level hit, they hoisted a warning. 

I don't normally like to crap on the NWS offices, but them writing literally one small paragraph about such a potentially impactful storm because of one run of the Euro that doesn't even have support of the majority of its ensembles just seems a little silly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

If it doesn't happen in Grand Rapids proper or in the boonies further north ( where basically nobody lives ) it didn't happen. 

11 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

I don't normally like to crap on the NWS offices, but them writing literally one small paragraph about such a potentially impactful storm because of one run of the Euro that doesn't even have support of the majority of its ensembles just seems a little silly.

Only a few there worth reading who actually takes the time to break things down and they are rarely on when it comes to winter events. 

Historic has found everyway possible to miss this area ( Dec 04,  Mar 08. VD 07, GHD 1, etc etc ) so yeah expectations have been low on the crazier amounts the GFS has showed. That blew it's load here in 67 and 78. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The Telecons don't support such a suppressed  track as the euro would have it yet ( as I think I have seen before.. trying to recall? ) it is looking like just that is gonna happen despite the rest.

Oh well give it another day.. 

Jan 4-5 2014. Last minute jog/bump N screwed Motown out of dbl digit hit. I dont want too much of a last minute jog, just enough to bump that stripe of 24-30" in NOH up to The Metro here. Like you said, days to go wrt the final wave and what it really does for this region.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Huh? This is the BEST models have sgreed 5 days out since maybe GHD-2

eh. the model arguments are always subjective and actually vary  to ones backyard. Yes, there is consensus on a storm, but go read LOT's last two discussions(which are excellent) and that'll detail the different model outcomes. Looked like the 6Z NAM ticked the initial overrunning band further into my neck of the woods. FWIW/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

When ever you have a cold press like this, you got take the northern solutions with the grain of salt.  IF this was December, i'd say congrats Chicago to MSP.  Unfortanately, the winners on this one may be in for a sheared pos.  

We're heading into suppression season, so yes the more SE solutions are legit. Could even argue it is climo to an extent. See 1-31-82, then there's 2003 and 2-14-07 which gave Detroit at least a respectable total despite being an IN & OH special. Plenty of analogs for a N OHV jackzone. We dont have to settle for a strung out POS lame system in Feb. It's this region's prime time.

When ever you have a cold press like this, you got take the northern solutions with the grain of salt.  IF this was December, i'd say congrats Chicago to MSP.  Unfortanately, the winners on this one may be in for a sheared pos.  

A lot of guidance that is south of the GFS are still showing significant snowfall totals.

I’m not saying it’ll be the case with this one, but there are many cases that would prove the first part of your comment wrong.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Jan 4-5 2014. Last minute jog/bump N screwed Motown out of dbl digit hit. I dont want too much of a last minute jog, just enough to bump that stripe of 24-30" in NOH up to The Metro here. Like you said, days to go wrt the final wave and what it really does for this region.

On the flip side, a last minute bump north with GHD 2 put Detroit in the bullseye.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Exactly what I am hoping for. Feb of 2015 I was focused on my former back yard and SR maps painting 22" totals there. Didn't realize Detroit wasn't expecting at least a 15" hit.

There was a period (albeit brief) where the heaviest amounts shifted into Northern OH / IN.

6z Euro did bump north/northwest with part 1. And a bit wetter in the main snow band. If it went past 90 on the op run, looks like part 2 would be a bit further north too. Not enough for up here, but parts of central/southern IL and IN would cash quite nicely I think...

And how cool is it that COD has the Euro now with all these variables. 6z and 18z runs too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

6z Euro did bump north/northwest with part 1. And a bit wetter in the main snow band. If it went past 90 on the op run, looks like part 2 would be a bit further north too. Not enough for up here, but parts of central/southern IL and IN would cash quite nicely I think...

And how cool is it that COD has the Euro now with all these variables. 6z and 18z runs too. 

The COD shit made my day. Definitely my site of choice now tbh

• Brian D changed the title to Feb 1 -3 GHD III
  • Rjay locked this topic