• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

With a super busy shift at LOT today dealing with LES threat, tried to do most I could to add some general details in extended. Asked neighboring offices if they'd consider tossing in some sleet and freezing rain chances and they opted against it, so I blanketed CWA with sleet/freezing rain chance late Tuesday night through Wednesday night.

In reality obviously not the whole area would be in threat zone for icing on top of sig snow threat, but the surface and lower level pattern strongly supportive of a zone of sleet and freezing rain with cold drain from 1045 mb high to north. Hopefully most of the CWA ends up mostly snow and we get a big event (or an appetizer round) followed by the main course.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 6

2 hours ago, London snowsquall said:

Agreed.    Seems there is occasional casual use of the terms blizzard or whiteout by some,  for situations that do not come close to qualifying.   A foot and a half of snow, wind gusts to 80mph and zero visibility for nine straight hours meant a blizzard of unique ferocity.   Never seen anything since that has even come close.  Eight people died here, including some who got lost in the storm and froze to death, and a family of 5 who died in their stranded vehicle waiting for rescue from the highway.  I wonder how many on this board experienced this storm.

I was in 1st grade living in SE Ohio.  I remember the relentless wind.  We started on the warm side so not as much snow as many but it was still wild.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

With a super busy shift at LOT today dealing with LES threat, tried to do most I could to add some general details in extended. Asked neighboring offices if they'd consider tossing in some sleet and freezing rain chances and they opted against it, so I blanketed CWA with sleet/freezing rain chance late Tuesday night through Wednesday night.

In reality obviously not the whole area would be in threat zone for icing on top of sig snow threat, but the surface and lower level pattern strongly supportive of a zone of sleet and freezing rain with cold drain from 1045 mb high to north. Hopefully most of the CWA ends up mostly snow and we get a big event (or an appetizer round) followed by the main course.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight. I will be flying into Chicago Wed afternoon so will be watching this system and Mets like you closely. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hlcater said:

I have no idea why that matters. Column temp/omega/saturation is what you want to pay attention to. Matters little where that is coming from. The airmass on the cold side of the baroclinic zone absolutely favors higher end ratios and as such kuchera is probably the better reflection here. 

It's just my own personal anecdotal experience that systems with a lot of front-loaded overrunning snow don't produce super high ratios regardless of how cold the column is.  I don't know why, but the flakes are just different.  Usually a lot of less intricate plates that don't aggregate as well as pure dendrites.  I just prefer to know the actual amount of water being put out.  15:1 is usually the best it gets.  I have never seen higher ratios except from clippers and lake effect.

• Like 4

Iowa is gonna have to have a lot go right for this system in order to get the best snows up this way. As of now, lead wave is too strong and baroclinic zone is forced too far south. Our best shot of snow would appear to come from initial overrunning precip while the big lobe of energy tracks somewhere to the SE of here.

5 hours ago, hlcater said:

Iowa is gonna have to have a lot go right for this system in order to get the best snows up this way. As of now, lead wave is too strong and baroclinic zone is forced too far south. Our best shot of snow would appear to come from initial overrunning precip while the big lobe of energy tracks somewhere to the SE of here.

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_fh168_trend.gif

• Like 3

• Brian D changed the title to Feb 1 -3 GHD III
  • Rjay locked this topic