Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

14 hours ago, Stebo said:

I like the big risk the big reward though, its just like here. Everyone remembers blizzard of 99 or the 2 ghd storms, no one is going to remember the 2 clippers we had this weekend in a month.

To each their own. For me,  It's not about remembering as much as it is enjoying Winter. It's the beavis in me. Were the clippers memorable? Of course not. But it's a Winter wonderland outside. Just like when they have shit Winters on the East Coast with nothing but bare ground, if I lived there, I don't think it would be any consolation to just remember past storms.

In terms of remembering, nothing like the winter of 13-14. I can't imagine any single storm could surpass that. I remember the blizzard of 99 well and of course ghdII is my favorite, but immediate thoughts always go to 13-14. Every year this time when they bring up the blizzard of 78, I always have to really wonder. It's become such lore and there's always pomp and circumstances surrounding it, that I wonder what it would have ACTUALLY been like to experience it in Detroit. It's well documented that snowfall totals were far less on the East Side of the state. I'm sure it was a good storm with winds, blowing snow, falling temperatures, etc, but widespread reports of only 8 to 10" in this area certainly lump it in with many other storms. And had that same thing happened today, I have a feeling the storm would be remembered for being a massive close miss. I cannot fathom a weenie  Fondly recalling a storm that dumped 9" of snow here and 3' a few counties West.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

.... And had that same thing happened today, I have a feeling the storm would be remembered for being a massive close miss. I cannot fathom a weenie  Fondly recalling a storm that dumped 9" of snow here and 3' a few counties West.

The blizzard was a different animal, one like many weenies here have never experienced, and it has little to do with snow totals.   6" of snow with an over performing clipper is one thing, 6" of snow coming in with a flash freeze 30 degree drop in temps and 60-70 mph gusts that lasted an entire day, is another universe.   When you get a blizzard like that, snow amounts don't make a huge difference, it all ends up in huge drifts anyway.   Also, widespread power outtages, structural damage from the wind, and impossible travel for days.   Pressure reached  something like 28.22   which is like a strong hurricane.  

To your point, I'm sure we would have had better warning and time to prepare vs. 44 years ago.   It would  be a fun one to track with today's model availability.  I can only imagine what some of the models would have been spitting out.    The nam probably would have exploded.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, buckeye said:

The blizzard was a different animal, one like many weenies here have never experienced, and it has little to do with snow totals.   6" of snow with an over performing clipper is one thing, 6" of snow coming in with a flash freeze 30 degree drop in temps and 60-70 mph gusts that lasted an entire day, is another universe.   When you get a blizzard like that, snow amounts don't make a huge difference, it all ends up in huge drifts anyway.   Also, widespread power outtages, structural damage from the wind, and impossible travel for days.   Pressure reached  something like 28.22   which is like a strong hurricane.  

To your point, I'm sure we would have had better warning and time to prepare vs. 44 years ago.   It would  be a fun one to track with today's model availability.  I can only imagine what some of the models would have been spitting out.    The nam probably would have exploded.

This actually made me Laugh out loud!  Thank you!  I needed that.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, frostfern said:

This isn't a clipper so the Kuchera Ratio is probably overblowing the totals.  

I have no idea why that matters. Column temp/omega/saturation is what you want to pay attention to. Matters little where that is coming from. The airmass on the cold side of the baroclinic zone absolutely favors higher end ratios and as such kuchera is probably the better reflection here. 

So euro started to look like a decent overrunning and then it cranks a low in AR and sends it to Lansing.   Very plausible considering we've managed to get some cranked storms this winter and the indices would seem to favor a more nw, (of CMH), solution.  Hoping for a faster northern stream and waves vs. an amped storm so we end up with more of a prolonged widespread overrunning event.

Of course at 144 hours out it might as well be the 854 hr brazilian the way this winter modelling has been going.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, buckeye said:

Agreed.    Seems there is occasional casual use of the terms blizzard or whiteout by some,  for situations that do not come close to qualifying.   A foot and a half of snow, wind gusts to 80mph and zero visibility for nine straight hours meant a blizzard of unique ferocity.   Never seen anything since that has even come close.  Eight people died here, including some who got lost in the storm and froze to death, and a family of 5 who died in their stranded vehicle waiting for rescue from the highway.  I wonder how many on this board experienced this storm.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

18z GFS has NE wind off of lake for 36 hours with lake enhancement then pure lake effect with delta T's falling from about 6 to almost 20 towards the end

Would be crazy in Chi metro... all that powder with gusty winds enhanced by the lake.

• Brian D changed the title to Feb 1 -3 GHD III
  • Rjay locked this topic