Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 28-29, 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Threat

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, pazzo83 said:

Everyone should experience it at least once - a heavy snow in Manhattan is magical.  The city just becomes so peaceful - it's f*cking amazing.  It is very fleeting (the inconvenience of a ton of snow in the middle of the city soon becomes apparent).  But man, while it's snowing - nothing like it.  Honestly.

Yup - pretty cool indeed.  On the other extreme is intense snowfall in an alpine setting.  The tranquility of the the lack of sound through the muting effects of extremely heavy is surreal.  The penultimate Jebwalk.  Experienced a 3 meter snowfall in Seas Fee, Switzerland in the late 80.  That was incredible.  We were isolated for 2 days as the howitzers bombarded the avalanche prone gullies.  (so much for the tranquility, but the experience was unforgettable).

• Like 1

yeah but you think door-to-door.  Union Station to Back Bay or South Station is nothing vs going from like IAD to BOS.

For those of us who live near (west of) IAD, the IAD to BOS flight (or even IAD to EWR/LGA) is way better than driving an hour to union station, parking, and then taking a slow, expensive train to the northeast,

I've traveled from NoVA to the northeast hundreds of times in my career and took the train like twice - the number of times it took to realize how dumb that was living close to IAD.

And a very large number of tech company commuters who regularly travel the northeast corridor live out here in Loudoun. That's why the flights to those cities are always full and the government has to subsidize Amtrak to keep its empty trains running.

• Like 1

Everyone should experience it at least once - a heavy snow in Manhattan is magical.  The city just becomes so peaceful - it's f*cking amazing.  It is very fleeting (the inconvenience of a ton of snow in the middle of the city soon becomes apparent).  But man, while it's snowing - nothing like it.  Honestly.

Agree. Amazing sight. Grew up 30mi NW of NYC. I was downtown at my aunt’s apartment during the blizzard of 06. Seeing over 2 feet of snow in Central Park is something I’ll never forget. 

Just now, mattskiva said:

For those of us who live near (west of) IAD, the IAD to BOS flight (or even IAD to EWR/LGA) is way better than driving an hour to union station, parking, and then taking a slow, expensive train to the northeast,

I've traveled from NoVA to the northeast hundreds of times in my career and took the train like twice - the number of times it took to realize how dumb that was living close to IAD.

And a very large number of tech company commuters who regularly travel the northeast corridor live out here in Loudoun. That's why the flights to those cities are always full and the government has to subsidize Amtrak to keep its empty trains running.

yeah if you live by IAD it's a no-brainer.  Even DCA.  Like I said - right now, Amtrak from DC to Boston isn't really workable (unless you don't care how long it takes lol).  But DC to NYC is another story.  Even if you live by DCA, I'd still rather go Union Station to NY-Penn on the Acela (if I'm trying to get to Manhattan).

Just now, jayyy said:

Agree. Amazing sight. Grew up 30mi NW of NYC. I was downtown at my aunt’s apartment during the blizzard of 06. Seeing over 2 feet of snow in Central Park is something I’ll never forget. 

yeah - we were there during a ton of great storms in the 2010s.  Midtown Manhattan more or less silent with heavy falling snow - amazing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

yeah if you live by IAD it's a no-brainer.  Even DCA.  Like I said - right now, Amtrak from DC to Boston isn't really workable (unless you don't care how long it takes lol).  But DC to NYC is another story.  Even if you live by DCA, I'd still rather go Union Station to NY-Penn on the Acela (if I'm trying to get to Manhattan).

Acela is often more expensive than the shuttle flights though. To barely go any faster than the regular train. The only advantage is it takes you into the city -- yeah if you live near DCA it makes sense, but not if you live near IAD

1 minute ago, mattskiva said:

Acela is often more expensive than the shuttle flights though. To barely go any faster than the regular train. The only advantage is it takes you into the city -- yeah if you live near DCA it makes sense, but not if you live near IAD

the NE corridor actually runs in the black (financially) - at least before COVID.  It subsidizes the rest of Amtrak's network (which is a joke).

14 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

yeah but you think door-to-door.  Union Station to Back Bay or South Station is nothing vs going from like IAD to BOS.

Given what Acela costs, nobody would be able to afford an actual high speed train. It would be like riding the Concorde. Unless the government paid all the costs. Which is why its pretty clear that the market has no desire to fund trains in this country. If there was market demand, it would exist.

the NE corridor actually runs in the black (financially) - at least before COVID.  It subsidizes the rest of Amtrak's network (which is a joke).

I believe that. It's expensive! Not kidding I have had colleagues take Acela to NY from DCA for twice what I paid to fly from IAD.

Just now, pazzo83 said:

yeah - we were there during a ton of great storms in the 2010s.  Midtown Manhattan more or less silent with heavy falling snow - amazing.

2/25/10, 12/26/10, 1/26/11: 20” a piece

Those are the biggies that come to mind from the 2010s. Of course Jan 2016 was epic there too (27.5) Just not 40”+ epic :lol: 

2 minutes ago, mattskiva said:

I believe that. It's expensive! Not kidding I have had colleagues take Acela to NY from DCA for twice what I paid to fly from IAD.

yeah the price is ridiculous.  the long and short of it is that the US sucks at passenger rail service.  100 years ago we led the world.  now we don't even hold a candle to systems in the developing world.

yeah the price is ridiculous.  the long and short of it is that the US sucks at passenger rail service.  100 years ago we led the world.  now we don't even hold a candle to systems in the developing world.

People prefer air travel. Rail is perceived like buses - for people who can't afford to fly. It has nothing to do with what politicians or "the US" wants -- the market doesn't want trains.

• Like 1

Can we stick to weather instead of what the government should or should not fund? FFS there's enough of that outside this board.

RE: Snow in NYC, I have never been there for a big snow, but my wife and I were there many years ago before kids for a romantic long weekend and I have fond memories of a night in NYC when it snowed about an inch. We started off with drinks at Angel's Share speakeasy watching people out the windows from the cozy dark bar and then walked in the snow up from there to Koreatown and had drinks at some rooftop bar that was right at the base of the Empire State Building. The view of the lit up Empire State Building towering over us at night while we drank Irish coffees sitting in the snow was pretty awesome.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

Can we stick to weather instead of what the government should or should not fund? FFS there's enough of that outside this board.

RE: Snow in NYC, I have never been there for a big snow, but my wife and I were there many years ago before kids for a romantic long weekend and I have fond memories of a night in NYC when it snowed about an inch. We started off with drinks at Angel's Share speakeasy watching people out the windows from the cozy dark bar and then walked in the snow up from there to Koreatown and had drinks at some rooftop bar that was right at the base of the Empire State Building. The view of the majesty lit up Empire State Building towering over us at night while we drank Irish coffees sitting in the snow was pretty awesome.

This is just as off-topic - who cares about snow in NYC? There's a NYC forum for that.

Nobody is posting about the actual storm at the moment - for obvious reasons

8 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

The Bullet train over Japan is pretty dope 

3 minutes ago, mattskiva said:

This is just as off-topic - who cares about snow in NYC? There's a NYC forum for that.

My bad. Go on and argue politics. I actually agree with your position, not that it matters. You're never going to convince people who think their country sucks because its not just like glorious, infallible Europe.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mattskiva said:

If models weren’t showing LI over to SNE seeing multiple feet from this, we’d probably be talking about the actual storm lol

2-4” for many with a chance - albeit small - at more near the metros (with no mixing issues) is still pretty solid.

Especially considering it’s January in a niña winter — a month many were writing off throughout most of December. 

We’ve tracked a solid 5/6 events, most of which produced at least some snow. Could have been an epic month had a few things gone our way, but it certainly beat expectations.  Models have another few threats for us to track between now and Valentine’s Day too 

• Like 1

Anyway... euro through 24 looks pretty decent, better precipitation up front and low placement. Seems like h5 was marginally better. Not gonna radically alter things but maybe a nice baby step towards more secure totals for the subforum.

Edit: Doesn't seem like much of the coastal snow will have any shot of getting west of the bay at 30, though. Just dries up too fast. Always good to be skeptical of the coastal snow...

• Like 1

Just now, baltosquid said:

Anyway... euro through 24 looks pretty decent, better precipitation up front and low placement. Seems like h5 was marginally better. Not gonna radically alter things but maybe a nice baby step towards more secure totals for the subforum.

Last global run I’ll be checking.  From here on out it’s Meso models, WV, pressure maps, and then radar for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baltosquid said:

Okay so by 36 a clear problem has arisen; it just gets pushed out too fast. Even with a marginally better low placement, we end up missing out on more of the coastal it seems since it scoots.

Yup. End result is a tad drier than 18z, but probably just a wobble at most. Basically unchanged

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jayyy said:

If models weren’t showing LI over to SNE seeing multiple feet from this, we’d probably be talking about the actual storm lol

2-4” for many with a chance - albeit small - at more near the metros (with no mixing issues) is still pretty solid.

Especially considering it’s January in a niña winter — a month many were writing off throughout most of December. 

We’ve tracked a solid 5/6 events, most of which produced at least some snow. Could have been an epic month had a few things gone our way, but it certainly beat expectations.  Models have another few threats for us to track between now and Valentine’s Day too 

Oh I have no complaints about this winter so far. I would love to see a big storm but I've had like 20 days with 1" or more on the ground, and it's still January. That's more than I can remember in most of the 30 years I've lived in the area. The two small storms and persistent cold kept the snowpack intact until late last week.

• Like 2

Wanted to see how things shook out yesterday before making my decision. I finally found my landing spot for this one.

Appears that my folks are going to be just a bit too far NW in the lower Hudson valley to truly get the goods. Models drop a respectable 5-10+” in their area. There’s a watch up from OKX for 5-7”  (totals increase rapidly as you head east)

My cousin Ellen lives right next to Deal Lake in north Asbury Park. Just got the OK to crash there until Sunday morning :snowing:  Would have definitely preferred a trip to her brother’s house in Suffolk county (Long Island), but E NJ should suffice!

I hope this mofo of a storm defies the odds and overperforms here in the DMV (especially near 95. In particular Baltimore where I think there’s a slightly better shot of seeing upside from the coastal than DC. Part 1 has certainly trended better over the past 24 hours as well) but this weenie is definitely road trippin’ for this one! First time I’ve done so in several years.

• Like 2

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic