Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28-29, 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Threat

WxUSAF

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I made a post about that earlier after the NAM run. The 18z NAM solution seemed to be heavily influenced by that area of low pressure- It made a big jump in one run. Time will tell if that ends up being the big disrupter.

7 minutes ago, mappy said:

Was just coming to post this too, very good thread 

You know I kid. Maybe. :devilsmiley:

Maybe one grace winter before we discuss his membership 

I can’t figure out what he’s saying. Is he saying he thinks there will be one there or explaining why there won’t be? I only skimmed it.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

He’s so hard to read sometimes. In the early Jan events he discounted every snowier model and went low. Now he’s showing the euro, that’s performed horribly this winter…and also just happens to show the snowiest amounts. I don’t get it.

Ava is cautious and very good at laying out the possibilities, but will often have to follow Toms lead on his forecasts. She went low in the early events too and got a lot of crap on social media about it afterwards. Grr.

I honestly have no use for local on-air Mets. Have not watched one in 15 years or more lol. I understand the typical non-weather geek does to some extent, but they have become largely obsolete, and need a social media presence to stay relevant.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I can’t figure out what he’s saying. Is he saying he thinks there will be one there or explaining why there won’t be? I only skimmed it.

He was explaining why the gfs and nam did what they did with the low, due to the new disturbance traveling across Florida and killing low level winds, thus the low not deepening as it otherwise would given the set up. 

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I honestly have no use for local on-air Mets. Have not watched one in 15 years or more lol. I understand the typical non-weather geek does to some extent, but they have become largely obsolete, and need a social media presence to stay relevant.

I get it. 

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The only one i trust for her expert forecasts, is Yanet Garcia.

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I don’t even know who these new people are on local tv anymore.  I haven’t watched local news in years 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

He’s so hard to read sometimes. In the early Jan events he discounted every snowier model and went low. Now he’s showing the euro, that’s performed horribly this winter…and also just happens to show the snowiest amounts. I don’t get it.

Ava is cautious and very good at laying out the possibilities, but will often have to follow Toms lead on his forecasts. She went low in the early events too and got a lot of crap on social media about it afterwards. Grr.

Tom has been there for 33 years. When he retires they should make Ava the chief meteorologist. I wonder if she is still there when Tom leaves if the station manager will have the guts to make that move. Not sure if he'll retire anytime soon though. He keeps himself in great shape and looks good for his age. I've always liked him a lot but Ava brings a different energy to the broadcast plus she is getting very knowledgeable with experience.

On a side note Bob Turk has been at WJZ since 1973 the year I was born. 50 year Anniversary for him next year. Unbelievable!

• Like 1

Just now, mappy said:

He was explaining why the gfs and nam did what they did with the low, due to the new disturbance traveling across Florida and killing low level winds, thus the low not deepening as it otherwise would given the set up. 

I get it. 

Damn. Was hoping he was saying this is BS and it’s going to snow

Just now, HighStakes said:

Tom has been there for 33 years. When he retires they should make Ava the chief meteorologist. I wonder if she is still there when Tom leaves if the station manager will have the guts to make that move. Not sure if he'll retire anytime soon though. He keeps himself in great shape and looks good for his age. I've always liked him a lot but Ava brings a different energy to the broadcast plus she is getting very knowledgeable with experience.

On a side note Bob Turk has been at WJZ since 1973 the year I was born. 50 year Anniversary for him next year. Unbelievable!

Isn't Bob Turk 114?. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That existing low is weakening the thermal gradient, which interferes with the development of the low in response to the upper trough moving east. Delays the deepening of the low and it has less impact closer to the coast, esp at our latitude.

Just now, HighStakes said:

Yeah, he’s an establishment at this point. I am obviously biased when it comes to Ava since we are friends, but she really is wonderful. She’s really gotten comfortable in her time slot, her knowledge and her on air presence. She’s very involved in the community, doing school visits, STEM fairs and the like. I hope she stays for a while, too. 

Bob Turk shouldn’t be on tv. Lol. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Damn. Was hoping he was saying this is BS and it’s going to snow

No, just explaining. But also mentioned that all models are struggling with the initial cyclogenesis and no model is better than any others at this point. 

• Like 1

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic