Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 28-29, 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Threat

WxUSAF

21 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

seems reasonable.  eastern PWC for sure....for us...maybe.  who knows...we were supposed to get what 3 inches last friday and got 3 minutes of flakes...these things have way of just doing what they will do

I'm right there with y'all in PWC, 2-3" around FXBG would be great, solid Advisory level Snow. Pie in the sky hope is for a warning 5"+ to verify around here, but I will love the 2-4" of Snow on a Friday Afternoon and Evening and have a great time!

Models are converging on a climo type outcome. A bit disappointing but no surprise. Still time blah blah blah but these setups have a long history here. If 12z euro slides east with the coastal snow I'm dropping hopes of coastal love in my yard. Kinda hard to get upset at the most common outcome being portrayed

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Models are converging on a climo type outcome. A bit disappointing but no surprise. Still time blah blah blah but these setups have a long history here. If 12z euro slides east with the coastal snow I'm dropping hopes of coastal love in my yard. Kinda hard to get upset at the most common outcome being portrayed

What's your thoughts on the front end action Friday Afternoon/evening. Models seem to be cutting back on that.

Was hoping for a few inches from that but I'm starting to be skeptical of that also.

3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I feel like this is either gonna come further west or scoot out to sea. The current solutions are just not climo. Not to say oc won’t actually get a major storm but I don’t think the models are done moving targets around. What I will say is that the entire setup does seem to favor east with a less than ideal trough placement but we also had that January 16 storm with a sharp negative tilt so maybe there’s still a chance.

The current tracks are actually quite climo. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea the overall setup really hasn’t changed much over the last few days. Trough is too far east. I’m holding out hope for a sharper/further west northern stream vort today but it’s looking less likely.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

What's your thoughts on the front end action Friday Afternoon/evening. Models seem to be cutting back on that.

Was hoping for a few inches from that but I'm starting to be skeptical of that also.

It's an unusual setup. Conventional thinking makes it look like waa precip on the north side of a developing low but that's not it so it's going to behave different @WxUSAF crushed it with his earlier post. We have lift overhead and a good column for quality snow. Arctic energy is notoriously dry. But the sharp trough and backing flow downstream could juice it up. Wait and see for me. Not sure that piece can be dialed in until the early coastal development is locked in 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

I'm right there with y'all in PWC, 2-3" around FXBG would be great, solid Advisory level Snow. Pie in the sky hope is for a warning 5"+ to verify around here, but I will love the 2-4" of Snow on a Friday Afternoon and Evening and have a great time!

someone said it yesterday...we are not on top of Mt. Washington...can't dismiss 2-3 inches because some winters that is ALL we get.  I will enjoy checking the obs on Mt. Washington however come Saturday...those should be interesting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ji said:

Brutal....everytime we need a good trend or a hold

Everytime

Never fails

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

Reminder if you say that something fails to trend positively everytime that means you are locked in to the fact that there has never ever been a storm that trended positively in the history of storms thus looking like a complete fool who acts like they are a 10 yr old spoiled brat. Time to move bro you don't like it here anymore go be happy somewhere. 

Ji speaks in exaggeration. But he’s right that ALMOST everytime this happens. But that’s our fault.  Partly the way we analyze the model runs and partly fooling ourselves. Because the truth is very rarely is a setup actually a high probability one for us.  But a lot of our snow also comes from getting lucky like 10% of the time on the much more common low probability long shot chances we get numerous times a year. 90% of them will fail and in the back of our minds we know that.  But we still get our hopes up when one or two fluke runs show the lucky low probability outcome we want and think “maybe this is the one”. 

The other issue is how we digest guidance each run.  We knew this wasn’t a good setup. And we never once had the preponderance of evidence in favor. The most we ever had one one model in any given suite showing a hit. First the GFS then Euro. But every run we dig to find some shred of evidence to suggest it’s trending to that rare lucky fluke.  I hear things like “it’s a miss but it’s heading the right way”.

No it’s not.  It’s a single model projection. It’s not heading anywhere. It was just slightly better than the last run. The next run is just as likely to be worse. But we manipulate the data in our heads to think “it’s trending better”. We put too much weight into the one piece of good evidence when 90% is bad. This happens every low probability threat then people get disappointed when what was always the 90% option happens. 

• Like 7

Hi All -- a request from Management:

Lets dial back the banter during model runs today so those reading don't have to wade through a bunch of "OMG" "JAWS!" and Waterboy memes. 

Once model runs are done, have it. 

Thanks so much!

Mom

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

20 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Exactly, seasonal trends so far, combined with climo, Nina, etc.,  all seem to converge on a less impactful event away from the coast. 

Of course, there can still be positive changes,  but those seem to be fading for areas to the West. But, even some snow combined with high winds and cold temps will make for a nice winter landscape.  @CAPE seems to be in a good location and I have faith in @MillvilleWx latest thoughts that here in Delaware we can still get a decent event.  Outside the models is the luck factor which is still in play for some.  On to the NAM 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ji speaks in exaggeration. But he’s right that ALMOST everytime this happens. But that’s our fault.  Partly the way we analyze the model runs and partly fooling ourselves. Because the truth is very rarely is a setup actually a high probability one for us.  But a lot of our snow also comes from getting lucky like 10% of the time on the much more common low probability long shot chances we get numerous times a year. 90% of them will fail and in the back of our minds we know that.  But we still get our hopes up when one or two fluke runs show the lucky low probability outcome we want and think “maybe this is the one”. 

The other issue is how we digest guidance each run.  We knew this wasn’t a good setup. And we never once had the preponderance of evidence in favor. The most we ever had one one model in any given suite showing a hit. First the GFS then Euro. But every run we dig to find some shred of evidence to suggest it’s trending to that rare lucky fluke.  I hear things like “it’s a miss but it’s heading the right way”.

No it’s not.  It’s a single model projection. It’s not heading anywhere. It was just slightly better than the last run. The next run is just as likely to be worse. But we manipulate the data in our heads to think “it’s trending better”. We put too much weight into the one piece of good evidence when 90% is bad. This happens every low probability threat then people get disappointed when what was always the 90% option happens. 

aka, the Miller FU syndrome.

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill I’m more disappointed in the degradation of the NS SW and upper level low pass. That has some potential v the coastal that I’ve never been excited for. Hopefully that stops trending south. 

Maybe I’m being a weenie, but I feel like that “should” follow the standard N/NW adjustments as we move toward game time more than the surface low in this case.

• Like 4

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic