Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28-29, 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Threat

WxUSAF

Just now, WxUSAF said:

I know you all are big game hunting, but the last 3 GFS runs looks quite fine to me for MBY. Solid 2-4” with the northern stream trough and falling during Friday HH. That said, I’d certainly say oui/ja/si to the 0z euro.

I’m on this train. Either way I’ll be where it’s snowing. I’ll either be here or at the house in wv.

• Like 3

1643457600-NRgcElDg8YE.png
1643436000-acl0SIg0sFs.png
A little better than 0z. More precip further inland to our south on the mean with tighter clustering of member lows east of NC .
Lol the word better. The 18z gfs took us 5 steps back so we are rebounding from that but we are still no where near the 12z yesterday. Feels Ike we are on a treadmill
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Haven't paid much attention to the Canadian because it died on WB, but the 0z GEPS snowfall mean doesn't look bad for the region through Sunday am. A general 2-4".

My favorite part in all this is actually that little piece of fun prior to any coastal. It's a legit shot to get 2-4" of straight powder for much of the area with barely any effort. Dendrites for days 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I know you all are big game hunting, but the last 3 GFS runs looks quite fine to me for MBY. Solid 2-4” with the northern stream trough and falling during Friday HH. That said, I’d certainly say oui/ja/si to the 0z euro.

I think based on that euro look there will be a screw zone..my area west of 95 east of 81 looks solid for that to occur.  Where the NS fades and the coastal takes over.  It’s ok I’m fine with it..don’t worry about me…I’m fine

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Haven't paid much attention to the Canadian because it died on WB, but the 0z GEPS snowfall mean doesn't look bad for the region through Sunday am. A general 2-4".

WPC mentioned this in their disco:  https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd&version=0&fmt=reg

In the new 00Z cycle the CMC has deviated significantly from other guidance over the eastern Pacific, leading to question marks in its forecast farther eastward--specifically a storm track a bit to the east of consensus versus multiple prior runs that were on the western side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

My favorite part in all this is actually that little piece of fun prior to any coastal. It's a legit shot to get 2-4" of straight powder for much of the area with barely any effort. Dendrites for days 

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

I think based on that euro look there will be a screw zone..my area west of 95 east of 81 looks solid for that to occur.  Where the NS fades and the coastal takes over.  It’s ok I’m fine with it..don’t worry about me…I’m fine

It’s a good point. Lol I’m also kinda worried somehow the coastal development would screw up that upper trough snow and leave us skunked in two ways. 72hrs to go…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

It’s a good point. Lol I’m also kinda worried somehow the coastal development would screw up that upper trough snow and leave us skunked in two ways. 72hrs to go…

I'll take that chance when big snows are so close by. I've seen 2-4 inches of snow 15 times in 6 years. I've seen more than that once or twice, and it was about 5-6 inches those two times.

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Time to step away brother and come back at 18z. Just peek at the number of pages in this thread at 12z.

2 minutes ago, jayyy said:

00z euro tonight will have heavy snow in the metro corridor. I can feel it 

18z gfs vs euro definitely had a familiar feeling to many of the storms this month where the GFS seems to be “seeing” something 1-2 model cycles before the euro and then the euro plays catch up. But then the GFS is walking back some of those changes with 0z and 6z. Will be interesting to see how it plays out today.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Ravens94 said:

Looking into the ensembles 0z to 6z there was a change in the ensemble camps. We all win with the camp 6z has for the most part. It's a touch slower and west. Very interested to see what 12z does 

Snapchat-492696503.jpg

Snapchat-306593118.jpg

Next frame you can see it's even more obvious the group with the lowest pressures are to the SW of the mean. 12z might have a rather substantial jump back to where we want it. 

f0708959-600e-4f12-b784-d4d2e82b51e8.gif

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Heisy said:

6z euro looked better at the end of the run, but it did tick towards leaving more energy behind. It's just impossible to trust this model right now unless we see some support from other guidance. I think the wave will be on shore by 18z today. Might help guidance sampling 

Big time. 00z tonight will be our first full data suite with the wave on land for sampling. Big runs coming up in the coming 24 hours 

I feel like at this point with all of the model solutions we have an envelope developing...perhaps it can shift some west and east but I think we see the boundary lines. My honest opinion is that somewhere in the middle is probably correct which for the most part leaves our area out of any significant chance. Like others have said....let's get the 1-3 or 2-4" snow because it's that or 0 is my thought. Of course I sell milk for a living so take that with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I'll take that chance when big snows are so close by. I've seen 2-4 inches of snow 15 times in 6 years. I've seen more than that once or twice, and it was about 5-6 inches those two times.

I think your backyard will do ok.  You’ll benefit from the coastal to some degree.  But the mentioned screw zone is real in these situations .  Just the nature of these set up.  It all evens out 

3 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Big time. 00z tonight will be our first full data suite with the wave on land for sampling. Big runs coming up in the coming 24 hours 

Been said time and time again - the on-land data sampling thing is mostly a thing of the past. Remote sensing has some a LONG way - the vast majority of waves/energy etc are sampled quite well by satellites. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Been said time and time again - the on-land data sampling thing is mostly a thing of the past. Remote sensing has some a LONG way - the vast majority of waves/energy etc are sampled quite well by satellites. 

Agreed, and yet we see it mentioned often in WFO forecast discussions.

4 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Agreed, and yet we see it mentioned often in WFO forecast discussions.

Was just going to say this. Why do Mets frequently mention this in forecast discussions then? Including a recent one. Unless they’re all mistaken on the models they read for a living. 

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic