Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-29, 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Threat

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, Ji said:
6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:
I can understand the western crews frustration. Winchester improved 2/10ths of an inch. 5 more similar improvements and they still only get 3”!  I think the limitations of this setup are starting to show with how some rather significant improvements in the h5 setup only yield very minimal difference for places NW of 95.  It’s mostly improving places further east indicative of a stronger storm due to those improvements but not necessarily one with a further west qpf field. 

Weve seen almost every combo of angles..movement..phasing...and they all give us at best an advisory event. When is the next window?

Ready for some overrunning potential the first week or 2 of February. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ji said:
15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:
I can understand the western crews frustration. Winchester improved 2/10ths of an inch. 5 more similar improvements and they still only get 3”!  I think the limitations of this setup are starting to show with how some rather significant improvements in the h5 setup only yield very minimal difference for places NW of 95.  It’s mostly improving places further east indicative of a stronger storm due to those improvements but not necessarily one with a further west qpf field. 

Weve seen almost every combo of angles..movement..phasing...and they all give us at best an advisory event. When is the next window?

Boundary waves in Feb. but those aren’t long lead tracks. Bunch of waves and we need luck with spacing. Anything with too much room to amplify will cut. Need a string of weaker waves. 

10 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

What did the control end up looking like? 

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

A very close miss for i95 

It was actually worse than 12z. Better track but tighter qpf field.  @WxUSAF I agree that our best chance at a decent event might have been from the NS wave but it doesn’t look like the right set up.  That trailing vort diving in phases and starts to cut off the SW just before it gets to us. At that point the coastal is going to explode and everything else will shut off. In a way we might end up regretting rooting for the more amplified trend if it stops just short. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

The question is...

A) Is that still even possible, and

B) What would have to happen to get there? (Utter perfection? Lol

I would say at this point, if that were the case it would be well modeled by now. The big ones are almost always sniffed out by this time frame. We started the month good, but it’s starting to seem the big ones may escape our grasp. 

18 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

I would say at this point, if that were the case it would be well modeled by now. The big ones are almost always sniffed out by this time frame. We started the month good, but it’s starting to seem the big ones may escape our grasp. 

And that's disappointing...because we had an stj in a nina--thought we'd have a chance...and even one time last weekend where we had the moisture perfectly coming up from the south only for the storm to get yanked by random NS junk. And then last week the waves couldn't come together. And then you get to this week, the proverbial "as the pattern breaks down" storm...and it looks to be all or nothing if a Miller B. 

Progressive patterns are progressive patterns...too many waves for anythinf substantial...lesson learned. Hope we can get a Nino and blocking next year.

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic