• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Potential 1/28-1/30 2022 winter storm

5 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Congrats all from the screw zone. What a joke this ended up being here.

Prior to this winter, I don't think there has been a more prolific screwzone in the region than the Charlotte metro....especially western and southern Charlotte metro. It's nice to finally see that reversed a bit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msuwx said:

Prior to this winter, I don't think there has been a more prolific screwzone in the region than the Charlotte metro....especially western and southern Charlotte metro. It's nice to finally see that reversed a bit. 

I believe I saw some speculation that the increased air traffic at Charlotte Douglas may play a role in that? Specifically in regards to BL temps. 

3 minutes ago, msuwx said:

So true, when I lived over by the airport on the river we kept getting shafted with either terrible moisture in the dendrite growth region or the dreaded warm nose.

32 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

You’re just going to have to pack up and move to some climo favored area. 

If that was an option right now I would. I would have never come back from Vermont. If we see no more snow events this year we will be below normal in Raleigh on the season.

• Sad 1

I measured a big fat goose egg in Hickory, NC.  Not even a skiff of snow on the roof.  I do have a lot of frozen rainwater on my freshly stained (oil-based) deck, though.  So, there's that.

It is fun to see all the SC places getting snow that so rarely get to experience it.  I'm happy for them, most especially.

Thanks for all the posted tweets, @WinstonSalemArlington.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

So true, when I lived over by the airport on the river we kept getting shafted with either terrible moisture in the dendrite growth region or the dreaded warm nose.

I still have painful memories of an event a few years ago. Looked good for a big Charlotte snow.... went to dinner and huge flakes were flying. Felt good about my forecast. Walked out of dinner to head to the hotel..... and sleet was falling. Knew it was over then.

That's the event that I vowed to never take the NAM's warm nose projections lightly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, msuwx said:

I still have painful memories of an event a few years ago. Looked good for a big Charlotte snow.... went to dinner and huge flakes were flying. Felt good about my forecast. Walked out of dinner to head to the hotel..... and sleet was falling. Knew it was over then.

That's the event that I vowed to never take the NAM's warm nose projections lightly.

That is always the worst when that happens. I have been there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, msuwx said:

I think it was the ‘14 storm, @BullCityWx was reporting huge flakes just piling up down in Ft Mill and there I was sitting a couple degrees colder yet all I have was a mighty blizzard of pea sized at best flakes.  Same storm, same precip shield, just was stuck with what had to be lackluster moisture transport in the dendrite growth zone.  Then it switched to sleet and we had 4” on concrete and a local minima I think. The Belmont/Mt Holly/Western Meck below Mountain Island earned that surprise overperformer the other week! 

3 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

I think it was the ‘14 storm, @BullCityWx was reporting huge flakes just piling up down in Ft Mill and there I was sitting a couple degrees colder yet all I have was a mighty blizzard of pea sized at best flakes.  Same storm, same precip shield, just was stuck with what had to be lackluster moisture transport in the dendrite growth zone.  Then it switched to sleet and we had 4” on concrete and a local minima I think. The Belmont/Mt Holly/Western Meck below Mountain Island earned that surprise overperformer the other week! 

I’m trying to place that storm…late January? Between the super cold snow and the big dog? If not, could it have been early 15?

12 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

I’m trying to place that storm…late January? Between the super cold snow and the big dog? If not, could it have been early 15?

I can’t remember, it was sometime in that time frame of ‘14 to ‘15 as my wife and I had yet to put down either of our first two dogs.     If I could find the pics, I’d know the exact date.  

35 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

That was it!

And yes they did.... that areas has had it rough!

• jburns unpinned this topic