• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential 1/28-1/30 2022 winter storm

Although it could be, are we really going with “last hurrah” in January?
Especially when 3 Biggest storms of my life…. I’m 30…. Are Feb 04, March 09, Feb 14 
Agree.  The 06 had another winter storm next weekend in the SE.
Lame Title and too early. 
There I edited the title

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

Can anyone please share a source for climatology of # of snowfall events?  My NC memory says we either get nothing season, or a multi event season, but I'd like to confirm with data.  Could be state wide, or a bigger / smaller region.

This setup is not overly different from this past weekend with the large +PNA ridge out west and incoming PJ s/w from Canada diving into the plains. The euro shears this shortwave out enough to delay the phase which ultimately results in some backlash snow showers over eastern NC as it wraps up and pounds the Northeast. I will say this, there isn't much margin on the Euro/GFS between flurries and 12+ inches. This shortwave has some serious potential if it were to cutoff/phase earlier (of course theoretically they all do I guess). Still a solid 4 days out and time to trend (in either direction). Lastly I will say this appears to be the end of the pattern that has provided us a pretty solid January of storms. These great patterns have the tendency to end in a bang (Although that doesn't necessarily mean your backyard will get hammered).

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Can anyone please share a source for climatology of # of snowfall events?  My NC memory says we either get nothing season, or a multi event season, but I'd like to confirm with data.  Could be state wide, or a bigger / smaller region.

It greatly varies across the state. There is no one climate in the state.

12 minutes ago, Ghicks said:

Looks to be better odds In the east than in the foothills if I’m looking at this correctly 

It’s really too early to say. At the moment, sure, but we’re 4 days out and a slight tick here or a slight tick there can mean a foot in the west or a foot in the east. The fact that a large area of the southeast gets love from the ensembles shows the lack of consistency right now. Atlanta to DC and all in-between are in play.

20 minutes ago, JoshWeather said:

Thanks! What a great resource!  I searched for snow / ice / freezing rain events that impacted wake county since 1990 (since I had to manually copy paste data) to get a frequency distribution of number of events that occur in any year.  While the average is just shy of 3 for that area, we are most likely to see far fewer or far more events than to see the average.  All that to say climatology would support the idea that the current set up has us on a snow train, similar to how we see groups of wave coming off the coast of Africa during peak hurricane season.  We're already above average, and I would expect us to have more events coming down the line just based on this event level frequency data.

image.thumb.png.64bfc2bacde3d80e0980d61ec9d751ac.png

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic