• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS and nowcast to bring closure to the ECWS 21-24 thread- small accumulations for portions of the forum 4P today-8A Sunday, and again 6P Monday-6A Tuesday

wdrag

This subforum should see some light snow accumulations tonight with the 500MB cold trough passage accompanied by steepening low level moist lapse rates and the weak inverted trough back from the ocean storm that forces convergence-lift near I80-LI.  Tonights snow should be a 0.1-1.5 inch affair. Frozen ground will permit untreated surfaces to become slippery in some areas tonight.

Monday nights warm air advection snow (snow rain-freezing rain LI) behind the departing 500MB cold trough and well ahead of the late week 500MB trough should be of shorter duration and amounts probably less than whatever occurs tonight (less than 1" new), but still a contributor to possible slippery travel in some locations Monday night. 

While impacts minor-negligible,  for those who want snow and receive it, this may have to suffice for a while.  Timing for travel may be considerations, especially NYC-LI/CT Monday morning early commute if it's still snowing, ditto Tuesday predawn commute. 

Combined small event amounts via CoCoRaHs will be added here Tuesday and also as closure to the 21-24 thread.

• Like 2

My scientific expectation is that we have after the initial burst now near NYC at 715P, is that modeling may not be handling this very well. Lapse rates will steepen overnight as the short wave crosses the region around 06-09z...and the associated wind shift from sw to n (sfc convergence generating bands of snow) slips southeast across NYC to LI and may show as an inverted trough (light ne wind north of the convergence zone).  I have to think at least another band of accumulative snow is in store for the I80 region (ne PA, NNJ,,se NYS,sw CT/LI).  That could double the current new snow on the ground for nwNJ/ne Pa./se NYS, partly because of snow ratios. You can see the bands organizing on BGM/SCE radar.  Also, what happens after 1 AM to sunrise is not my confident call but models indicate that somewhere across LI a pretty good band of snow showers should occur.

I won't be staying up for all this but hope that this brings at least a little satisfaction to the NYC group of members. 

• Like 4

Got a nice little dusting in Metuchen this evening on all surfaces (it's <29F) like most have in the region - some could get up to 1/2" in the 95 corridor and towards the coast and could be an inch or so N of 78 in Somerset/Hunterdon and the Lehigh Valley and up to 2" in the Poconos/far NWNJ, according to the NWS. Sneaky little clipper. It could get slippery tonight/overnight, especially N of 78. It's very light/fluffy snow, by the way.  Need to measure, but the Bills-Chiefs game is enthralling...

https://www.weather.gov/phi/